Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end...what do you do to freshen it up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I replaced all the wheel bearings, brakes, lines, rotors, calipers, MC....the brakes are good. The shocks and springs feel good and ride at a good height.

As far as the steering rack...ball joints...that kind of stuff, what would one do to freshen up/tighten up that area of the car? I'm really pretty ignorant when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I see those "turbo rod" kits on ebay pretty cheap...does that contain everthing I need or what else?

The car makes a little clunking noise when turning...haven't pinpointed the sound yet. I don't plan on auto crossing the car...just fun street driving.

Also, will I need any special tools?
toon1
I am going through the same rebuild and also have a clunking noise.

I am going to replace:

Ball joints
Tie rod ends
bushings
Struts (if needed, And probly do)

Dissasembly is not too tough. There is a special tool to remove the ball joints( i used a pipe wrench).

The torsion bars will need to be indexed during reassembly ( check the archives for the how to).

I think I have a prob. with my my rack. I heard they DO wear out and can be adjusted, ( to a point) but I've never done it.

Maybe we should make a "how to" thread for the classics!?
Eric_Shea
Sounds like Ball joints and TT ends are all you haven't touched. The racks rarely go bad. The ball joints may be the cause of the clunking. Take a look at the hole in the bottom of your strut to make sure it's true (once you get them off obviously)

BE CAREFUL of the cheap TT's on eBay. Your boots will crack and disintegrate after about 1 month of exposure to... AIR (see the tie rod boot thread).

I did that years back thinking I was getting a deal. I ended up buying real Lemforder ends to make it right (at about $35 each).
PRS914-6
Bushings...Bushings...Bushings...These cars are 30 years old and the rubber is shot. Start there and work your way out...
justme
Everything as stated allready. You may want to look at the steering u-joint under the dash as they'll clunk when bad.
When you do the a-arm bushings it's a good time to add a front sway if you don't have one. Even for street driving you'll like the diff!
orange914
i've seen others complain about (and personally experianced) alot of front strut "clunks." the nut holding the isert can be loose or in my case the insert needed a washer to shim it tight.

mike
Eric_Shea
What Paul said... I didn't read your list thoroughly but if you haven't done bushings then, that would be a good one too.
computers4kids
Thanks for all the replies. I poked around a little today under the car, but didn't see anything that bit me. The ball joints have seen better days. Well, I guess I'll start by first checking to make sure the struts are in place and snug and then move on to bushings and ball joints. Does anyone have a favorite place for this stuff?
rhodyguy
new appropriate wedge/tappered bolts to secure the b.j. to the strut. use great care tightening them up. they easily twist and break. most expensive fastener i've ever puchased.

k
bondo
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 31 2008, 02:08 PM) *

new appropriate wedge/tappered bolts to secure the b.j. to the strut. use great care tightening them up. they easily twist and break. most expensive fastener i've ever puchased.

k

And to make matters worse, one of the manuals (Haynes maybe?) lists an incorrect torque for that nut, which is well over its breaking point! blink.gif
Aaron Cox
Ball Joints + tie rods + new struts will blow your mind smile.gif

Turbo tie rods and Koni's will make you....well....nevermind smile.gif
STL914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 30 2008, 09:49 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies. I poked around a little today under the car, but didn't see anything that bit me. The ball joints have seen better days. Well, I guess I'll start by first checking to make sure the struts are in place and snug and then move on to bushings and ball joints. Does anyone have a favorite place for this stuff?

Mark,

I had a similar clunking noise in my 72 a couple of years ago. Turned out my driver side strut had snapped in two. It wasn't anything you could see or feel until the car was on a lift.

Gary
computers4kids
QUOTE(STL914 @ Aug 1 2008, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 30 2008, 09:49 PM) *

Mark,

I had a similar clunking noise in my 72 a couple of years ago. Turned out my driver side strut had snapped in two. It wasn't anything you could see or feel until the car was on a lift.

Gary

Thanks for the tip. Yesterday I took off the retaing bolts of the struts and pulled the free from the body. I was thinking that the retainer ring (from previous researched threads "clunk") had come loose, but all looked good.

Took the car and had the front end aligned and checked out. They said everything looked good and it aligned perfectly. Driving it home felt great and didn't hear any clunking. Will see...

The hilarious part of the trip was watching the techs try to find reverse to get the car off the rack. After 3 guys, I hopped in and rolled off effortlessly. Having a shift knob without the pattern is a great security device!
On another note...I can't wait to see your car on the road again. I'm not a green fan, but I love the color you chose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.