Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ginther 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
Guys

Need some help with historic authentication. Basically my historic 914 rallycar is strangled big-time by the stock exhaust (2litre 4cylinder). I'm not allowed to use an aftermarket exhaust unless I can prove it was used in period. The only other 914-4 I can find that raced pre '74 is the Ginther car. I can't find any pictures of the exhaust system they used on this car back in the day. Anyone have any ideas if they used a stock system or something else?

Here's a shot of my car from the last rally I did a few days ago (after I tried to rip off the flimsy f/g bumper going thru a watersplash too fast biggrin.gif )

IPB Image

Much appreciated.

Moggy
VaccaRabite
Could you use stingers? They are period and were used, but you would be running w/o a muffler.
URY914
I would talk to RacerChris. He knows more about 914 exhaust history than anyone I would say.
Root_Werks
driving.gif

That is a cool picture.

driving.gif
hydroliftin
I'm no expert on 1971 race cars, but I'm pretty good with Google. Here is a guy who claims to have restored Ginther's 914-4. He may have the answers you seek. He also says that there was an article in a 1971 Panorama Magazine detailing the construction of the car. Maybe someone here might be able to get you a copy of the article.

http://www.frankracing.com/914.html

Dave_Darling
Email Bruce Anderson (possibly BrucePor@aol.com ; or go through http://www.911handbook.com). They ran 914-4s in a number of venues back in the 70s.

--DD
Brett W
I was under the impression the Garrettson exhaust system was designed in conjunction with Ginther.
moggy
Thanks guys for all your input.

I'm already in contact with Chris at Frank Racing, very nice guy and very helpful.

I'll e-mail Bruce, thanks Dave.

What's a Garrettson exhaust? Any ideas when it was developed and made available to the aftermarket world?

Cheers

Moggy
jd74914
Moggy, Paul suggested speaking to Chris at Tangerine Racing. smile.gif

www.tangerineracing.com

I may be wrong, but I believe Chris builds a modified/improved version of the Garretson exhaust.
moggy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 1 2008, 04:32 AM) *

Moggy, Paul suggested speaking to Chris at Tangerine Racing. smile.gif

www.tangerineracing.com

I may be wrong, but I believe Chris builds a modified/improved version of the Garretson exhaust.

Thanks, just sent an e-mail off to him to ask if he could help.

Has anyone got a picture of this Garretson exhaust system that is being quoted?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(moggy @ Aug 1 2008, 08:56 AM) *

Thanks, just sent an e-mail off to him to ask if he could help.

Has anyone got a picture of this Garretson exhaust system that is being quoted?

Richard, I got your email. My exhaust is an evolution of the Garretson exhaust.
I think the Garretson exhaust was developed around 1980 for a Carrera Panamericana car, but Bruce Anderson would know better than me since he was there.

There is only one mention of exhaust in the Pano article about the Ginther SCCA car, right at the end: "Add a set of headers, turn on the key, and you are ready to race your 914-4 right down to the wire, Ritchie Ginther style."

If I'm not mistaken, exhaust has always been free in Production Class SCCA racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.