Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad alternator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brew
Leaving work yesterday, heading to the golf course, the charging system idiot light came on , and the volt gage went to zero ....but until I got to a stoplight, everything else was working. Then, everything stopped working (tach, temp gage)....until I got the car moving again. WTF.gif The charging system was still showing no signs of life, but the temp gage and tach looked to be working normally. I couldn't get the rpm up high enough to make anything work while sitting still, only when the car was moving! I continued on to the golf course, played a round, started the car back up (no problem), and drove it some 5 miles back home. I don't get it.... confused24.gif

Is it the alt., or something else?

BTW, if anyone has the link to the best method of alternator replacement, please post it! Thanks!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Brew @ Aug 6 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Leaving work yesterday, heading to the golf course, the charging system idiot light came on , and the volt gage went to zero ....but until I got to a stoplight, everything else was working. Then, everything stopped working (tach, temp gage)....until I got the car moving again. WTF.gif The charging system was still showing no signs of life, but the temp gage and tach looked to be working normally. I couldn't get the rpm up high enough to make anything work while sitting still, only when the car was moving! I continued on to the golf course, played a round, started the car back up (no problem), and drove it some 5 miles back home. I don't get it.... confused24.gif

Is it the alt., or something else?

BTW, if anyone has the link to the best method of alternator replacement, please post it! Thanks!

Crazy problem. I would start with the usual suspects. Check battery connections and your grounds.
Cap'n Krusty
If you're gonna "start with the usual suspects", look at the fuses FIRST. Then make sure the red light comes on with the key, then progress to the other things. The Cap'n
TINCAN914
I would start with inviting a friend next time you go play golf ya jagoff. poke.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 6 2008, 11:03 AM) *

If you're gonna "start with the usual suspects", look at the fuses FIRST. Then make sure the red light comes on with the key, then progress to the other things. The Cap'n

O.K. fuses first but he did state that the red light was on but later things were normal. If it is a fuse then it would be a bad connection at the fuse.
ericread
agree.gif with both of the above. Check all the wiring.

If you do need to change out the alternator, use the instructions in the Pelican site. I have it down to a full replacement, by myself, in 60 minutes. A result of waaaaay too much incorrect troubleshooting last summer (but it turned out it actually was the alternator, so I got lots of practice).

Oh, take a look at the alternator belt too.

Eric Read

Brew
So after almost 2 months of pondering the problem (and plain old slacking), I got the alt replaced. No difference. Changed the voltage regulator. No difference. The charging system is working, but there's no indication of it working from inside the car. mad.gif

Fuses all look good, so I'm guessing it's probably a bad ground....somewhere? Also, not sure if it's related, but I dont have turn signals or brake lights now.

Is there a specific ground that could be attributed to both problems?
SGB
Sounds similar to a problem I've started having in the last 2 days. Shortest story: Car gets completely to temp, starter no clicky at all. Wait 2 hours and "RRReerrrr" starts right up. Today: No clicky at first (cold) try. This is new. Put on charger, 1 minute later it goes "bing" and the car stats right up BUT- as I go to work, using flasher and suddenly the volt needle starts a-jumpin like crazy.

And now the car acts like nothing has changed; no problems- YET.

I think it is the BATTERY. A freind with a VW shop has had similar experiences (no flasher effect though). So thats what I guess I''l buy.
r_towle
There are many grounds on a german car...
There is one one the drivers inside fender for the fuse box..
Its not easy to see, but its up in there.

I tend to hit the fuse box with my big ass feet ALOT...
I often look down (in the dark) and find fuses laying on the floor.

Check all the grounds, check the light switch for possibly shorting out also.

Rich
BMartin914
Could be your regulator John.

Before you spend more money, find out where you have power and where you don't. The charging system is pretty straightforward.

Like the cap'n says, the gen light should flash when you start the car. And again when you shut it off. That light "starts" the alternator more or less.

TROJANMAN
John,
Try looking in the classifieds. If you find another car you like, it might solve all of your problems.

Just trying to help wink.gif
dbgriffith75
Check and/or clean the connections on the plugs of the cord running from the alt. to the relay board while you're at it. Sometimes a dirty connection can be a real nasty thing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.