Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbon Canister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I may have access to some bulk carbon that is used in filters. It is in power form not pellets. I was wondering if maybe this could be put in a bag like an old sock or something and inserted in the canister to replace the old carbon. What do you guys think?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 11 2008, 04:10 PM) *

carbon

You'll need activated carbon/charcoal ... Otherwise it'll be useless ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

shades.gif Andy
JeffBowlsby
I would think you would need pelletized not powder, to allow air/fuel vapor to penetrate thru the charcoal filter medium...

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 11 2008, 08:10 PM) *

I may have access to some bulk carbon that is used in filters. It is in power form not pellets. I was wondering if maybe this could be put in a bag like an old sock or something and inserted in the canister to replace the old carbon. What do you guys think?

Since you ask, I think you have a 'SWAP' - a Solution Without A Problem...

The carbon just provides a relatively inert place for gasoline vapor to collect until it can be re-aspirated into the intake. A big inert sponge.

So - what problem are you trying to solve?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 11 2008, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 11 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Since you ask, I think you have a 'SWAP' - a Solution Without A Problem...

The carbon just provides a relatively inert place for gasoline vapor to condense so it can drip back into the tank.

So - what problem are you trying to solve?

My understanding is that the carbon, in the filter, has no short life. It collects the vapors(hydrocarbons), recirculates them, re-uses them to be burned in the system, and is somewhat self cleaning. As far as I can see, they should never need replacing.

Other opinions?
Pat
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Other opinions?

Yes. biggrin.gif

The factory called for regular replacement. Looks like they thought it was a wear item ...

The pellets will eventually turn to dust. I don't think any of the 30+ year old canisters has anything left in them ...
shades.gif Andy
Chris Pincetich
Any good aquarium store has activated carbon in little rocks all bagged in plastic mesh for use in filtering systems. I ditched mine recently since I mostly race locally and never really have more than 1/2 tank of gas.
Bartlett 914
Thanks for the input. I will get a chance to see the stuff tomorrow. It is in a plant that is being shut down. This material will be tossed. I would have to pay shipping to keep it. I agree that pellets would be better than powder. It was the idea of placing it in bags that may make it usable in the canister.
rick 918-S
I agree the pellet type would be better. Power would likely not allow a free exchange of vapor to pass.
ericread
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 11 2008, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 11 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Other opinions?

Yes. biggrin.gif

The factory called for regular replacement. Looks like they thought it was a wear item ...

The pellets will eventually turn to dust. I don't think any of the 30+ year old canisters has anything left in them ...
shades.gif Andy

As I was changing out my steering rack a couple of weeks ago, I removed the canister and took a look inside. All the pellets look good as new! The seal on one side of the canister had come undone a bit, and I was getting gas fumes in the front trunk. I popped the side back on, making sure it sealed all the way around, and presto-chango, no more gas fumes (YAY!)

Eric Read
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
ericread
Note that it doesn't instruct you to replace, just viaually inspect. You need to make sure it wasn't stolen???

Eric
JeffBowlsby
WHAT PART OF "REPLACE EVERY 50OOO MILES" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND SON?

thats the first time I have shouted online...dont take me too seriously...biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ Aug 12 2008, 11:20 AM) *

Note that it doesn't instruct you to replace, just viaually inspect. You need to make sure it wasn't stolen???

Huh? confused24.gif

Maybe you should have another look at the chart ...

- Maintenance schedule, every 10,000 miles, 12. Activated Charcoal Filter: Visually check

- Replace every 50,000 miles

visually check every 10,000 miles, replace every 50,000 miles ...
shades.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 12 2008, 05:26 PM) *

visually check every 10,000 miles, replace every 50,000 miles ...

Yes - emissions.

"It's not a good idea, it's just the law ..."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.