Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maximum tire size with flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigbohr
Does anybody know what the largest size tire is that fits in the rear of a teener with factory flares, without having to make complicated modifications to the flares?

265, 275, 285? Who bids higher ...

I will buy either 5 lug 17x9 or 17x10 rims depending on what size tire fits. Since these things cost $$$$$$$$$ I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks,
Johan
seanery
What wheels are you looking at?
Custom wheels/backspace can maximize wheel/rubber width.
Bigbohr
I'm looking at either Azev's or otherwise Lindsey's 2-piece custom 17" Fuchs wheel to keep the classic look wub.gif

Azev offset is 14mm for 10" width, doesn't exist in 9" rim width.
The custom Fuchs wheels can be ordered in any offset.
seanery
Lindsey's seem like the answer to me. HRE does custom sizes, too.
Bigbohr
Any idea regarding maximum tire size?
racerx9146
For referance
I have steel flares
255/40/17 996 cup(?) wheels 9 x 17 with 46mm bolt on spacers
1/16 toe-in with -1 degree camber

winds up being about about 1cm clearance both sides

IPB Image

I am not totally sold on the way my wheels look, I got a good deal on them. I dont hate them i just think fuchs look correct and i will probably wind up changing when i get a deal on some 9 x 16's for the rear.
machina
looks like you have 1.5" or 2.0" spacers on that car. So you could fit at least a 10.5" or 11.0".

Tire range from 275 => 305.

I ran the magnesium BBS motorsport wheel on my 993. BBS in GA was happy to send me some different outer and inner wheel halfs so I could fit the car how I wanted it without spacers.

Ended up running 18x9 front and 18x11 rear with 245's and 285's.

Kind of fun torquing all those bolts.

dr
Bigbohr
Thanks
I was struggling with the same. The cup wheels don't convince me. Least expensive 17" solution though.

By the way, nice mechanic ...
Aaron Cox
yeah...nice mechanic
markb
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jan 31 2004, 03:04 PM)
yeah...nice mechanic

agree.gif
soloracer
I believe I have Kinesis 17 x 12's with 315's in the back and 17 x 10's up front with 285's. Not sure if it qualifies as "stock" flares though laugh.gif

IPB Image

P.S. Nice mechanic. Good to see someone take care to prevent their clothing from scratching the paint.
Eric_Shea
nice mechanic

Uh huh... agree.gif Can you send her over when she's done? I need some front end work done.

I won't get in the way...I'll just stand behind and... watch, yeah that's it... watch.
racerx9146
man whose flares are huge!!!!! is it like the sheridan kit where its the whole back of the car or is a attached flare? at some point doesnt having the track of the car exceed the wheelbase cause issues?

looks fabulous!

Dont know where the avatar/mechanic photo came from, wish i did though!
Bigbohr
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 31 2004, 03:21 PM)
I believe I have Kinesis 17 x 12's with 315's in the back and 17 x 10's up front with 285's

285's up front ... can you still turn those without qualifying as a Californian governor?
seanery
HAHA!!!

Solo, you ever gonna Drive that car? LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif
SirAndy
stock GT flares:

8" with 245s in the front
9" with 285s in the back

of course, the offset has to be right for that meat to fit in there ....

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
oh, and also keep in mind that the original GT flares were designed for 15" wheels with low profile tires.

these days getting decent tires in 245/45 x 15 and 285/40 x 15 is nearly impossible,
unless you go Slicks in which case those tires are actually wider than advertised and won't fit. wink.gif

also, in order to fit the wheels/tires you NEED TO shave/roll the innner fender lip on the flares!
Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.