Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any idea's on cv joints or whole half shaft?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nolongermusclecars
pray.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Nolongermusclecars @ Aug 16 2008, 08:11 AM) *

i blew a cv joint on my 1974 1.8... can you guys help... first i believe both sides (pasa and driver) are the same shaft and both ends have the sam cv joint correct? so all 4 cv are identical right??? next where the hell do i get one??? i could buy cv's and replace my self or just by rebuilt and supply a core... any idea's guys?? and is there a better cv to use these seem crappy? i have pretty stock motor so i'm, not putting out ton of power... i saw the upgraded set but i don't feel like pissing away $900... any help or suggestions are welcome thanks!!! blink.gif

the joints have been discontinued, zimms modifies a set of bug joints and swears that they will fit. Our solution is to have the originals rebuilt so we sell a rebuilt axle exchange for 199.50. Haven't had a complaint!
Eric_Shea
http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...868/3857681.htm

Can ship Monday.

Back on vacation. cool_shades.gif
Nolongermusclecars
piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
Or you could look at it as a opportunity and convert to 5-lug with bigger CVs!

Hey, it's only money ...
biggrin.gif Andy

HOW TO: Convert to real 5-lug in the rear using 944 CVs:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641
Eric_Shea
not thrilled with the price but hey guess they got me by the short and curlys here

You should compare them to our competitors pricing for the same thing. Then we add gaskets and Schnorr washers. And, we replace them no questions asked in the first year... even if you've been autocrossing. With my parts cost and the machining and the gas I made about $20 hard earned bucks off that one.

I try my best to keep the pricing real (real fair) as I myself have been caught by my short and curlys as well. I own the same Porsche you do. wink.gif
McMark
We can't always get everything for $5.00. Some things cost money to manufacture and/or modify. rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I'm not aiming at you. I'm just tired of the "I want everything CHEAP!" attitude. As you said, welcome to owning a Porsche.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 18 2008, 12:19 PM) *

I try my best to keep the pricing real (real fair) as I myself have been caught by my short and curlys as well. I own the same Porsche you do. wink.gif

agree.gif

$90 for a new CV with gaskets, bolts and washers is more than fair!
shades.gif Andy

ericread
I think everybody has a bit of sticker shock when they first start buying parts. Part of what comes along with owning a 914.

Eric
sww914
A local auto electrical place that rebuilds alternators and starters also rebuilds axles. $69.00 per axle with new boots and new paint.
They bore out the grooves and install slightly larger balls.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sww914 @ Aug 18 2008, 01:02 PM) *

Wouldn't that weaken the cage? Which is the the part that usually fails. Doesn't seem like a good idea to take off any material from the weakest part ...

confused24.gif Andy
BKLA
eric and mark have a great product! Support is superb!
sww914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 18 2008, 02:05 PM) *

Wouldn't that weaken the cage? Which is the the part that usually fails. Doesn't seem like a good idea to take off any material from the weakest part ...

confused24.gif Andy

I dunno. They've never failed, yet.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 18 2008, 02:05 PM) *

confused24.gif Andy

No, bigger balls is never a problem... laugh.gif

Instead of messing with mine, I replaced the whole shaft with the AA replacements. I am still waiting to get them in the car though.

I did like that they came packed, and I didn't have to do that myself, but I am lazy.
Nolongermusclecars
pray.gif
Eric_Shea
FYI Gang,

I replied to Joshua's email last night.

The CV is machined on the flat surface (not the chamfered surface) so the gasket will have a proper mating area. Mike Mueller (the original machinist) and I had a fairly lengthy discussion as to which end to machine. The CV is basically universal. In all applications in the past, this has left a (roughly) 1/8" lip (because of the chamfer) on the boot. This is cosmetic and in no way affects the performance or the longevity of the CV. The boot still mounts firmly to the CV and performs its intended task. Once the CV is torqued, that boot is tight against the CV.

Frankly, I'm kind of tired of the attitude Joshua. First it was the fact that I've caught you by the "short and curlies" blatantly implying that I'm overcharging you because you have a Porsche. Then I get the email stating "I figured you had this down" etc.

When I replied (while on vacation) I told you I had a CV I could ship out Monday. You ended up ordering two. I expedited a shipment of CV's and rushed one over to my machine shop which he fit in for me in one afternoon. You had two CV's the following Monday. You overpaid on the shipping, I refunded the freight and sent you a note that they were on the way and all I seem to get back from you is an adversarial attitude to the tone that I'm somehow screwing you.

P-L-E-A-S-E send them back for a full refund... even the shipping back. Now, I don't know how much more accommodating than that I can be Joshua. You have other options. You can purchase the same CV's from Zim's. It's possible they machined them right for you. They're an "excellent" organization out of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. You can order the complete axle assembly from George. Here's some links so you don't have to go searching.

Zim's:

http://www.allzim.com/cgi/sh000001.pl?REFP...e332_2e029_2e03

AA:

http://www.autoatlanta.net/record_detail.l...5FF&-Search
Nolongermusclecars
pray.gif
McMark
You think the mass of people who recommended Eric's part did it without knowing they were good. blink.gif I know you think you're being reasonable, but you're not coming across that way.

If you expect Eric to hold everyone's hand on these things, get ready for a nice strong tug on your "short & curlies" because the price will double. Just like any parts store, there is an expectation of competence. Do you walk into NAPA and ask for an instruction sheet with your parts? ohmy.gif

Woulda been much smarter to make a post or start a thread with only four words: this thing seems wrong...

It would have made you seem a whole lot nicer.

So if i knew i was installing them backwards i would be driving my Porsche right now

If you had posted here on the forum or searched you would be driving your Porsche right now. It's your own fault. YOU decided that they must be wrong and gave up. YOU could have sought more information here and found it in minutes. YOU have no one to blame but yourself.
MZM
A buttinski word on behalf of Eric. There is no better service available from any vendor anywhere that I have worked with. This experience comes from building five one-of race cars and buying parts from probably fifty different sources.

Mike M
yarin
Eric has stood behind me at all times with his CV joints, it's an excellent bargain replacement. I highly recommend purchasing 914 parts from PMB Performance.

The CV joint pins will dictate the orientation, no problem there.

After a few installs it's a piece of cake. Thanks Eric!
Nolongermusclecars
pray.gif
seanery
Nolongermusclecars....I see you're a NewYorker, but tone down the attitude..."your little one year warranty" that's damn condescending! If you have questions ask them. Do your research BEFORE you plop down your money. Ask questions without attitude and you'll get quick responses. This is a very knowledgeable and friendly group.

Eric is one guy I'd trust 100%. He's incredibly fair and honest.

Most of our Member Vendors are too. The reason many of them make the products that they do isn't to make money, it's to make a part or product available that isn't anywhere else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.