Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 valve adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mt 914
idea.gif does anyone know a good way to adjust the valves on a 1.8L.
type47
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm

another option

heh,... the fellow above missed:

welcome.png
Cevan
I did it this way and it seems to involve the least amount of turning the motor. Someone here had posted this process. All it requires is making a mark 180 degrees from the TDC mark on the flywheel. There is a small opening on the bottom of the tranny so you can make this mark. This way, you can rotate the motor from underneath the car to get TDC for #1 and #3.

Now the process:

1. At TDC for #1, you adjust both #1 valves, intake for #2 and exhaust for #4. I use the dizzy rotor orientation to confirm I'm at TDC for #1 (as opposed to #3).

2. Then rotate the motor 360 and adjust the remaining 4 valves. Done.

KELTY360
welcome.png

The SEARCH is your friend. Find it, use it; live long and prosper.

BTW, where are you in MT? I'm heading to the Little Bighorn from Seattle in mid-September.

Katmanken
Being the least amount of work isn't always the best way.

I spin that engine as much as it needs to adjust each valve at a time when the opposite valve is on the high point of the cam.

Then again I have been known to get 250,000 miles out of an aircooled engine without ever doing anything other than adjusting the valves and changing the oil.

And Crusty and I have been doing it that way for about 40 years.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.