Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full Flow engine mount?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
finstermojo
I am finishing my Rabys 2316 and working on the full flow oil system and the line off the oil pump cover will need me to notch the engine mount out and install a 45 degree elbow so it can get out from the front. Has anybody else removed material off the mount so the fitting will fit. I attached the picture so you can see what i am talking about has anybody else had to deal with this? I also a included a pict of the entire engine with a single wire chevy 100 amp alternater installed.
McMark
Yup, remove the metal on the inside brace, leave the outside brace. I don't have any pictures here at home.
ConeDodger
Paul Sayegh used one of his machine shop tools to remove an arc of material large enough to allow the fitting to clear. I underestimated when I told him how much so it still had to be attacked with a bench grinder when I got home, but yes it now fits... Sorry no pictures here either...
Joe Ricard
Yep I cut my mount on both side of the mount.
I had this modification on my 2098cc and autocrossing the piss out of it for a year now. Also using hard plastic mounts on the engine bar.

Didn't use a 45 angle for the hose.
Just a straight AN10 fitting and the hose curves around and then rides up above the valve cover bail to a braket mounted to the under side of the rear trunk.
URY914
This is what I did...

URY914
with pipe nipple...

finstermojo
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 17 2008, 11:29 AM) *

with pipe nipple...

I like what you did and i am going to do the same the pipe and brace are a good idea to support the line.

Thanks
Mark Henry
I did sell a modified mount but It took longer to make than it's worth.
Pretty sure it's still in the vendors section, take a look and make a copy.

I don't like a nipple because I've seen them break (more than once) and wipe out an engine. To me a "brace" will just add even more stress to a nipple.
URY914
I used the shortest nipple I could. If it was shorter the AN connection would be too close and would interfere with the engine mount.
Mark Henry
Yep...don't like those fittings as well....or the aluminum pump cover.....just IMHO

Jake Raby
I don't like rigid tubing either...
The removal of mount material is no big deal and we haven't seen any weakness result from it.

I am realigning all my oil pump kits and all future kits for the 914 will now have the mounts included with them.

Mark, I now have a tool steel intermediate plate for the aluminum oil pump covers to eliminate wear. These have been RAT products for over a year now.
Mark Henry
Yep I've never used anything but steel covers, one look at an old used stock T1 cover and you'll know why I feel this way.
Jake's solution is cool and one might be able to use a Al cover that has a nickies coated side, but that would be spendy.

My mounts had 2 gussets welded into the backside, never had issues as well.
Jake Raby
Matt, what happened to the manifolds we shipped with the heads?? The Pierce manifolds you picture are good for a solid 6% reduction in flow and that equates to a solid 10HP or MORE on that engine, plus they were match ported to the heads..

leave things as we Engineered them, else you'll never get the output of efficiency from the kit.

Everything we provide is included for a reason.
r_towle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 18 2008, 10:06 PM) *

Matt, what happened to the manifolds we shipped with the heads?? The Pierce manifolds you picture are good for a solid 6% reduction in flow and that equates to a solid 10HP or MORE on that engine, plus they were match ported to the heads..

leave things as we Engineered them, else you'll never get the output of efficiency from the kit.

Everything we provide is included for a reason.

Did you provide the valve covers?
If so, are they leak proof???????????????????????
Not that I would LOVE a leak proof and easy to remove valve cover...lol

Rich
finstermojo
The manifolds in the picture are the ones you included with the kit are they the wrong ones for the kit? i changed nothing.

The valve covers did not come with the kit. they are the same ones i used on my other engine and they did not leak at all i think they are made by CB Performance. Every body who sees them says the same thing about them leaking but they dont and they also help quite some of the valve train noice. I cleaned them up and also painted them.
Mark Henry
Jake just an FYI, the manifolds you included in the set of heads you sent me wouldn't fit on a 356 classic kitcar.

finstermojo in reply to your PM it's in the member vendors section: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=11164
Not the greatest pic for copying but all you can't see is 2 small gussets on the backside of the mount,
Jake Raby
The manifolds in the picture are the ones you included with the kit are they the wrong ones for the kit? i changed nothing
The manifolds in the picture are the ones you included with the kit are they the wrong ones for the kit? i changed nothing

OK.. So, they were match ported to the heads and came with the kit, cool...That means Len has overcome their typical constraints.. Good to go.

mark,
We provide many engines for the guys at Beck and have dozens of engines in CMC, Beck and Vintage Speedsters and have never had any issues with the manifolds fitting those cars.. What kit was this car? why wouldn't they fit? These are the things I need to know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.