Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pointless ignition timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
level914
Again, sorry if this has come up before.

I was wondering if anything changes when doing the timing after installing a pointless ignition.

Do I need to worry about dwell angle?
Do I need a tachometer?
Can I time it properly by just using top dead center, or do I need to also mark 27deg. BTDC?

I have a 76 2.0.

I have a timing light, and analyzer with dwell meter and tach.

Do I need any other equiptment?

I have printed out the pelican parts procedure. Is there a better way to do this.

This is the first time I have ever timed a car.

Thank you
TheCabinetmaker
Dwell is the amount of degrees (how long) the points stay open. No points, no dwell.

Yes, the timing mark is the same as with points if you have FI. Tach is not necessary. Somewhere between 2800 and 3200 rmp, the timing mark, when viewed with the light, will stop moving. This is where to set it. Don't forget to pull and plug the vacuum line.

Good luck
level914
Thank you vsg914,

I never thouhgt I would rather set my timing than watch the superbowl.
These cars do something to you. idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I'm watching for the commercials this year. Don't care who wins. All my favs lost already. laugh.gif
level914
Yeah, I'm a Rams fan. Same old story for many years now. ar15.gif

Anyway, what vacumm hoses do I take off? I have two. Is one advance, and one retard. Which is which?

and I go by the timing mark at 27deg btdc correct? Thats the mark that should look like its not moving right?

I'm alone, how do I adjust the rpms? By the distributor or the throttle? or??

Thanks for the help.
TheCabinetmaker
advance the throttle till the timing mark stops moving, then move the diz a little and recheck. Then do it some more till you get where you want it. I was rooting fo the chiefs and colts.
level914
Ok, one last stupid question(hopefully)

My timing light has a positive clamp, negative clamp and a clamp that I believe goes aruond the #1 spark plug wire. It also has a setting dial on the back for degrees advance.

How do I hook this up?

And do I pull both hoses off the dizzy?

Boy I feel stupid, first I admit I'm a Rams fan, second I don't even know how to hook up a timing light.
TheCabinetmaker
Red clamp to the positive side of battery. Black to the negative. Wire clamp goes on # 1 pulg wire. I've never used a light with built in advance. set it to zero and continue on, or follow directions supplied with your light. I would assume the advance on the lite would be set for your advance and then set timing at the tdc mark. Maybe someone else will chime in on the use of the advance programmable light

No stupid questions around here, except the ones I ask laugh.gif
914ghost
ALSO different distributors require different timing.
And if you dont have the marks on your fan (impeller)it will be a pain. And its pretty tough to get the 27 degree mark on the dist just right, your only sure bet is to turn the knob on the back of your timing light to what you're FULL advance is supposed to be and watch the #1 timing mark on the pulley come up at the corresponding RPM. SO, if you want 32 total, turn the knob to 32 and make the engine do 3300 (or whatever) and turn the dist. slowly so the mark (I use yellow nail polish to mark it!) on your pulley is RIGHT at the notch in the fan housing in the hole.
I think thats the basic procedure, someone correct me please unsure.gif .. . I did it last week- installed pointless ign too. .but havent had a chance to check it cuz' my cylinders are filling up with gas. ... I LOVE IT!
Robert O

Can anyone tell me what total advance on an 050 should be at what RPM exactly?
**ONE MORE REASON to switch to pointless ign- if you have centrifugal advance only- you DONT have to pull the dist. drive to set timing right because of P.O engine builder screw up.
Dave_Darling
Realistically, only the advance hose will affect your timing at anything other than idle. But to make sure, disconnect and plug both hoses.

If you have a 1.7 or a 2.0 with stock parts--
Run the engine up to 3500 RPM by opening the throttle valve. 3000 is probably OK, but the procedure calls for 3500, probably "just in case". I use my left hand on the throttle lever on the throttle body itself. Use the right hand to hold the timing light (set to 0 advance) and shine it into the hole in the fan shroud. Use your third hand to hold the mirror so you can see the timing mark, and with your fourth hand you turn the distributor until the mark is in the notch.

If you're one of those poor unfortunates who do not have four hands, you might need to be a bit more creative. I have painted the whole top of the fan blade closest to the timing mark. It's BRIGHT RED. smile.gif That way I don't have to have a mirror to see the mark. I can also see the mark when the timing is not correct, which helps me know how far to move the distributor. I can see, for instance, that I'm off by two fan blades. So I can let go of the throttle, let the motor come back to idle, shine the timing light on the fan again and turn the distributor so the fan moves two blades worth in the light. Then grab the throttle and open it up to check where the timing mark actually went.

Another option uses the TDC mark (if present on the fan). I painted a white mark on the fan to help me find TDC, and it would be useful here as well. You set the advance knob on the timing light to whatever the correct number is, then rev the engine to the correct RPM and tweak the distributor until the TDC mark is in the notch in the fan shroud. (For a 1.7 or 2.0 motor, that's 27 degrees BTDC at 3500 RPM.)

And yes, you hook up the electrical connections to battery(+), battery (-), and plug #1.

--DD
level914
Thanks for all of the replies.

I have really learned a lot from you guys.

My neighbors thank you also(no more smoke billowing down the street). rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.