Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SSI Heat Exchanger Modification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
t collins
Just curious if anyone here has ever converted a set of Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers over from 1.7 to 2.0 ? sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Be mo' beta to just buy the muffler and the hanger ........................ The Cap'n
t collins
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 21 2008, 04:03 PM) *

Be mo' beta to just buy the muffler and the hanger ........................ The Cap'n

But that would take all the challenge out of it....
Rusty
Same pipe diameter... do as the good Cap'n recommends. Why mess up a perfectly good set of SSIs? confused24.gif
orange914
what would that accomplish? the s/s 1.7 and 2.0's have the same i.d. is the 2.0 muffler less restrictive?

mike
r_towle
QUOTE(t collins @ Aug 21 2008, 08:01 PM) *

Just curious if anyone here has ever converted a set of Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers over from 1.7 to 2.0 ? sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

All HE's fit on all Motors.
They bolt right to the heads.

2.0 liter HE's require 2.0 liter muffler and 2.0 liter muffler hanger.
1.7/1.8 HE's require 1.7/1.8 liter muffler and hanger.

That is the simplest setup of parts.
You might be able to take an aftermarket muffler and cut off the flanges and weld on the other type of flange to make it work, but the height of the exit of the HE's is different so the resulting height of the muffler will either hit the car, or hang to low.

Rich
JeffBowlsby
I think he means that 1.7L SSIs are cheaper and more available to come by than the 2.0L units. So why not get the 1.7L units and modify the ends to receive a standard 2.0L muff? Been thinking the same myself but don't know if its possible or what is involved if it is. May be a simple mod, may not work at all depending on the configuration.

Who has both set-ups to compare?
r_towle
The 2.0 liter muffler or an aftermarket muffler made for 2.0 HE's will not work...its will hit the trunk floor (at least it will make you remove the heat shield)
The 1.7 HE's swing up at the end, the 2.0 liter ones do not.

So, you need to buy the correct muffler for the HE or it wont fit.
Not to mention the fact that the flanges are different...but I am assuming you weld on new flanges...same issue will occur.

I have all of it here...tried, measured...NOPE
Rich
JeffBowlsby
Not sure you get what he is asking for Rich. He is proposing to cut off the ends of 1.7L HEs and mod them to fit a 2.0L muff. Cut off the upturned pipe ends...add level pipes and correct flanges...Can it be done? Convert a 1.7L HE to work with a 2.0L muff. idea.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 21 2008, 06:21 PM) *

I think he means that 1.7L SSIs are cheaper and more available to come by than the 2.0L units. So why not get the 1.7L units and modify the ends to receive a standard 2.0L muff? Been thinking the same myself but don't know if its possible or what is involved if it is. May be a simple mod, may not work at all depending on the configuration.

Who has both set-ups to compare?

i beleive the 2.0 spread is also different at the flanges (wider). i may be wrong
t collins
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 21 2008, 05:31 PM) *

Not sure you get what he is asking for Rich. He is proposing to cut off the ends of 1.7L HEs and mod them to fit a 2.0L muff. Cut off the upturned pipe ends...add level pipes and correct flanges...Can it be done? Convert a 1.7L HE to work with a 2.0L muff. idea.gif

agree.gif You hit the nail on the head
Tom
Yep,
Did it for my 76 when I back fitted the exhaust. Bought a set of nice 1.7 SSHE's and had Dave at Triad modify them for me. I needed the 2.0's so I could use his muffler. I understand he now makes a muffler that fits 1.7's.
Tom
Triaddave
The modification can be done. I had no problem welding mild steel to stainless.Tom is correct, I now can build an exhaust for any 914 ever built including the 1.7,2.0. and the 75/76 cars and the 6. my best advice is to go with the exhaust that fits the heat exchangers.
MartyYeoman
Anything can be done if you want it badly enough.

On my car, I took a a set if SSIs (with bad flanges)
and cut and modified them to exit as '75-'76 three
bolt units. Pictures are here in a previous post.
This gives me the benefits of SSIs and lets me
bolt up my original CAT muffler if necessary.

Dave, I'm glad you have expanded the Triad product line.
Any info on the 75/76 units?
KaptKaos
Is there any performance advantage to stainless HEs over regular?

Any advantage to 2.0 vs. 1.7/1.8?

I thought that all of the pipe interior dimension were the same. Is this true?

TIA
flippa
Jim Kelly posted a thread a while ago that outlined the differences in the system

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=79247&hl=

I suppose it could be modified. Anything can be done, it is just a question of how much $$$$$$$.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 2 2008, 01:52 AM) *

From what I have seen and experienced (had OE HEs on my old 2L then upgraded to SSIs), I think the biggest advantage is the SSIs weight only about 50% of what the OEMs do. My highly tuned butt-dyno said there was a difference in car performance and I attribute it to overall decrease in vehicle weight.
t collins
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 1 2008, 09:52 PM) *

Any advantage to 2.0 vs. 1.7/1.8?

I thought that all of the pipe interior dimension were the same. Is this true?

TIA

I think you're correct the inside pipe dimensions are the same. My only reason to ever consider this modification was to be able to use the 1.7/1.8 SSI I have just sitting around collecting dust with the new 2.0L Bursch muffler I already have.
jimkelly
bam - find a set of steel 2.0 he's for now - jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.