Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breather hole just below oil fill cap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
angerosa
It seems to spray a little bit of oil while I'm driving. It might just mist oil but it's enough that I smell it when I stop and get out of the car. I can see that there is a little slick spot on the engine right below the hole. Is there supposed to be somethiing that covers the hole? You might need to know I have a single carb and fuel injection stuff has been removed if that has anything to do with it.
r_towle
well, if you have head breather hoses, those may still be connected to the fan housing...that is one hole near the oil filler.
If that is the case, you need a head breather box to replace the air filter setup on the FI system.

The next hole is the crank case breather system...once again, you need a breather box. This hole is in the oil filler box itself, and it aims straight up.

Both will blow a mist, both need to be plumbed into a breather.

Rich
McMark
Standard 'VW' breather filter mounted on the impeller housing. The breather is mounted at an angle so excess oil will drain back into the sump. Vent port on the heads also feed into the breather. They connect to the stock T-fitting and then one line from there to the breather, but you could just as easily connect each head to a port on the breather.
SirAndy
drunk.gif
angerosa
Thanks guys - just what I needed to know. I thought it was something like that. Yet another part I need. This revealed itself because I just fixed every other oil leak I had.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.