Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Tip in on a six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nick
So back from Africa after two years and am enjoying driving the 3.0 conversion, but one thing is bugging me. The throttle is very stiff at tip in making it very hard to drive smoothly. Its a standard six throttle arrangement with bell crank at the tranny then a rod to a bell crank at the CIS throttle. Cable was new three years ago / 5000 miles. No part of the throttle linkage system seems probematic. disconect cable from throttle pedal and it moves freely. The cable looks fine and all the individual bell cranks move smoothly. Any ideas?

Nick
PRS914-6
Clutch and throttle cable crossed at pedal assembly? Common mistake....take a look
Cap'n Krusty
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the symptoms don't indicate that conclusion. The Cap'n
racerx9146
Uhhhhh some suggestion is better than none, its worth checking if he has checked everything else like he indicates

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 25 2008, 02:00 PM) *

mightyohm
I put in a new OEM throttle cable a few months ago, and it was very stiff from day 1, but got worse with use. I squirted some tri-flow teflon lubricant spray down the cable and it was a thousand times better, still works great today.
melnyk
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Aug 25 2008, 05:35 PM) *

I put in a new OEM throttle cable a few months ago, and it was very stiff from day 1, but got worse with use. I squirted some tri-flow teflon lubricant spray down the cable and it was a thousand times better, still works great today.

my first thought LUBE LUBE LUBE. it moves fine when it has no resistance but once you have a load it rubs against the sheath and if its not lubed too good it will stick.
jt914-6
I would lube the cable and check to see that the acc. pedal moves freely........
pete-stevers
my throttle is stiff too...could never figure it out
because each part induvidually is great.
i have just learned to live with it
but that is not a good solution is it blink.gif
i am going to lengthen the lower throttle arm at the the tranny by a 10-15 mm
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Aug 25 2008, 02:20 PM) *

Uhhhhh some suggestion is better than none, its worth checking if he has checked everything else like he indicates

I dispute the statement that "some suggestion is better than none", especially if the suggestion is less than helpful. Intertwined clutch and throttle cables cause the engine to speed up when the clutch is engaged, as if you'd fully depressed the accelerator pedal. There is really no other possible symptom. If I were to suggest he chase a wild goose, would that be better than remaining silent? The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(racerx9146 @ Aug 25 2008, 02:20 PM) *

acually it was all checked BUT the throttle body. a big problem i noticed as a fleet mechanic years ago is the difference it makes after cleaning the throttle body. use spacifically marked throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner as that can be too harsh. i bet you'll see a difference.

mike
Nick
Thanks for all the suggestions. i'll check the throttle body this PM. Pulling the throttle cable will have to wait for the weekend. If lubing doesn't fix it and I decide to try an new cable a couple of questions. Terry Cable v Factory v patrick thoughts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.