Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Aftermarket Fuel Pump Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
The old fuel pump has three inlets/outlets. I was told i could use a new aftermarket fuel pump, however the new fuel pump has and in and an out, how can i hook up the new fuel pump so that it will work with the fuel system? The engine is a 1.8L carbed. Do i have to hook up the return lines back to the fuel tank? thanks everybody.
GeorgeRud
You can just run the supply line to the carbs and block off the return line. Others have run a pressure regulator with the excess (greater than 5psi if Webers) going back into the return line.

It always seemed to me to be a good idea to keep the fuel flowing through the pump and back to keep it from heating up too much by sitting, and not having the pump feeling the different fuel loads. Probably not a real concern with these low pressures anyway.

You might also consider moving the pump to the location under the tank. Electric fuel pumps like to push fuel much more than try to suck it from far away. What type of fuel pump are you using?
orange914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 25 2008, 06:19 PM) *

The old fuel pump has three inlets/outlets. I was told i could use a new aftermarket fuel pump, however the new fuel pump has and in and an out, how can i hook up the new fuel pump so that it will work with the fuel system? The engine is a 1.8L carbed. Do i have to hook up the return lines back to the fuel tank? thanks everybody.

just a thought:

why not use the o.e. fuel pump and open the o.e. fuel regulator to 3 or 4lbs (or whatever you'r running). i've never tried opening adjustment to lower fuel pressure to that point... anyone know if this is possible? the return lines benifit you by circulating the fuel, helping it keep cool.

by the way your o.e. pump has 3 fittings
1 inlet from tank
1 outlet to motor
1 outlet (tees into return line to tank)

(i believe) 75 up are have only 2 nipples

if you use an after market pump just plug the 3rd (from o.e. pump) line that tees into return hose to tank

SirAndy
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 25 2008, 05:19 PM) *

For carbs, you can simply plug the return line. Put a cap on it where it exits into the engine comp on the rear firewall.

Your new fuel pump is for a carbed engine, correct? If not, do *not* use a high pressure FI pump and regulate it down! That's a engine fire waiting to happen ...

When i had my 2056 with dual weber 44 IDFs, i ran a CB rotary fuel pump mounted in the stock location using the stock wiring to power the pump.
The rotary pumps are *much* quieter and the CB unit generates the correct amount of pressure, so no regulator is needed.

CB rotary Fuel Pump:
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

Tech article on how to use the stock wiring (and relay!) to power your carb fuel pump:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=25954

bye1.gif Andy
bperry
Or see the full Tech Article for a bit more electrical information:
Run the fuel pump for carb conversions - HOW TO

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.