Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My take on Dunk's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Got there the night before....bit of trauma, Blondie the 2.7 powered 914 was doing 75 mph in the fast lane of the 5 freeway....right in the middle of the 'hood. All of a sudden, the engine did a fast decel.....no spark. Everything else was working.

Managed to get over four lanes without killing me or the car.....got to the breakdown lane and after about ten minutes of fumbling, found the yellow spade connector on the solenoid had fallen off. It seems that lead supplies power to both the sparking power and starter....woof, got on the road.

Met another lister (Gint and Mike De Vries) for dinner and saw a few others that I had not seen since last Dunk's.....

Next morning....what a clusterwhump ar15.gif

The 356 board asked for volunteers and would get us in for helping out prior to the mad rush between 6:30 and 8:00. So....like a good little lemming, I fire up Blondie and head over next door. They wouldn't let ya park over the night before like in past years BTW.....

Get to the entrance....no way...can't come in, gotta park in line next door next to the BofA.....rather burn one down than be next to one...another story.....

Anyhow, I'm second in line....then the rush gets on.....the proctors, send "most" of the early entrants to the staging areas....then all off a sudden the angry buzz of dinky four bangers are heard......

THE 912 CLUB HAS ARRIVED.....WEeeeeeeEEEEELLLLL ain't that SPECIAL.....seems they get as a "pre registered group".......wowowwwowoowo, there were some pi$$ed off campers waiting in line for next hour....

Anyhow......I blew off my volunteer thingy as they did not honor their commitment to the volunteers and just sat on my butt and sold some stuff and bought some stuff....actually came home with more money in my pocket than I had when I arrived.

Even if there is another Dunk's next year....don't think I'm gonna attend.

IPB Image

Even Blondie got out of the sun and got some shade.....

IPB Image IPB Image

I don't think the next Dunk's will be worth attending....if there is another one. I spoke with Mrs. Dunkel and she confirmed that they are downsizing and moving.
Jeff Bonanno
surely a heavily armed man such as you are could have gained entrance?!

fighting19.gif
Joe Bob
Ohohohohooh....forgot the best part.....only in California.....boats stay in storage all winter.... headbang.gif

Some lowlife dufus was backing his BOAT into a gas station to get a better angle for fueling.

Guy musta just bought it or he got his backing license from form the Tiujana school of trucking.....anyways, I filling up to go to Dunk's and this maroon cranks it the wrong way and comes within an inch of taking out Blondie's passenger side rear 1/4 panel.

HEY STOOPID.....huh? Goes to show IQ does not enter into the equation when they give out driver's licenses....
andys
Well, it certainly was a (typically) beautiful Califorina day!! What was with the Elvis music in the morning.......sounded as if this was a streetrod/nostalgia meet.

As I'm thinking about changing the color of my car, it was a great opportunity to view all the different colors together. I also liked the sail panel vinyl delete coupled with the smoothed and painted targa top. Not that many 914 parts, but I got my hood so I'm happy. My favorite car......the dark blue 906.

Andy
Kargeek
Oh Yea, the blue 906...This year's display was toned down a bit with not as many 356's hanging from trees etc. however the eye candy was still great. I got to see my old buddy Gary Emory. Some very nice cars... and that's what it's all about. Dave
Kargeek
Pelican has posted the event:
Pelican web site
Mike D.
Mike Z. your right, the more they "Organize" that event the more of a PITA it becomes. Shouldn't be the other way around. wacko.gif

It is one of the greatest places to find parts though...

I liked this car. Factory made this as a street car for Butzi. Had all leather interior, and a 6...
Mueller
I had a good time, I always thought I sucked as a saleperson, Brad called me this morning to let me know that it's true, LOL

I arrived (with Andy) at the vendor gates at 6am, they didn't let us in until about 7:15. Our spot was not as bad as I thought it was going to be, got lots of traffic and meet quite a few list members.

Got nervous and I think I started to stutter a little when talking to Ron Mistak (owner and driver of the 914 that looks like a scaled down version of a GT1), I also meet the founder of E.R.P., the company that makes the very trick 935 style heim-joint front suspensions as well as other high quaility parts.

Did anyone get pictures of my displays?? I ran out of my business cards (thanks Seanery) and instructions.....hopefully a few sales will come my way in the next few weeks smile.gif

Now to improve my displays, instructions and maybe take some classes on speaking in public, hahaha
Aaron Cox
kargeek! i saw your car (yours too mike z), i was curious, whats up wiith the louvered rockers? nice touch wink.gif
Kargeek
kargeek! i saw your car (yours too mike z), i was curious, whats up wiith the louvered rockers? nice touch  

I built the car back in 1981-'88 and the louvered rockers were just a styling exercise. It's the Hot Rodder in me. Did you notice that the rockers are angled slightly? I used fabbed spacers to lessen the angle of the rockers just slightly. After looking at a number of outlaw 356's we came up a plan to do a 911- with louvers of course. Dave
bernbomb914
I enjoyed it this year. got there about 8:15 am got good parking at BofA lot paid my donation and saw as many nice cars in one location as a person could see. walked the swap meet area meet a lot of 914 friends, Andys very strange red hair was a funny distraction I drool over yourparts Mike. Brad and charles it was good to see you again. I go to these events to have a good time and see all the nice cars. I am a car junkie and have been for 55 years. I hope Dunkels will continue for many years.

Bernie
Malmz
I finally earned my Bunny Ears... either that or I forgot to return them. I guess the grand puba of Bunnies gets the pink ones, and trainees get the white ones.

Since Mikie and I had a swap space together, it was easier to tell people looking for him to "look for the other idiot with bunny ears"...

Had a good time seeing the people, didn't even really walk the show since I don't need anything and I've seen most of the cars there before. Good time at Hooters even though I was volunarily on the wagon since I had to shuttle my kids in the afternoon.

sm
campbellcj
IMHO it was definitely not quite the same as prior years, but still a significant event. There were tons of sweet 356 and 912 cars there -- almost too many to really look at each one. The swap section was pretty huge although I was not shopping so didn't look really closely. However the really special stuff like the highly-modified R-Gruppe and KlubSport early 911's, and in particular the race car section seemed to have dwindled. Maybe the event has kind of grown too big and too "structured" for its own good and has lost the "magic" ?
Dave Bell
Somehow I have always missed the Dunk meet before... got there this time... lots of nice cars... but I was a little disappointed after hearing so much talk about it from other years.... others told me ealier years were better.

Personally I enjoyed the meet up in Ventura over the past couple years a lot more than the Dunkel meet.... for that matter, I have to say that I enjoy the Pomona swap meet which occurs every 6 weeks more than the Dunkel meet.... cars and parts more reasonably priced at Pomona and lots of additional stuff to see at Pomona. Some of the Porsche repro kit car stuff I saw first at Pomona as well. It will probably be my first and last visit to the Dunkel.

Yea.... mikey was easy to pick out with his bunny ears.... I talked to the Tarett guy who was real nice but was a little worried about meeting mike... afraid that he might be mad....how dangerous can a bunny be?... had to tease Malm about his new monster truck.... that thing is fantasitic as a staging point for selling stuff at any swap..... it drew more attention than most of the Porsches and parts there... good move Steve.... I think you can write that baby off as advertizing expense.

Enjoyed some of the racing playing on the big screen...., that was the one touch I haven't seen else where. Something about the size the screen made you feel like you were almost there or almost in the car.... very cool.

Only bought a book and a pepsi and went home to a Super Bowl party.... Got to like the weather.

- Dave.... spoiled by too many car meet/swaps to choose from, to many nice roads to drive on and too much nice weather here in So Cal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.