Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: silver button 150 mph guage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
i've always thought the 150 mph speedo was put in my 73 1.7 somewhere before me. i was looking at a link showing the correct guages. it said the 150mph came out in the 2.0 std. it was unclear weither the 1.7 with the appearance package had it. not avalible in 70 - 72. in 73 had silver button. in 74, no button and was know as black face. confused24.gif

http://www.p914.com/p914_gauges_speedos.htm

how do i know if my car has apperance package? i've always expected it does. the console appears to be factory except the guage face is obviously modified and the other thing is the heater lever is straight non curved but the opening has bigger opening to fit the lever (factory looking not cut). all the others i've seen are a slot for the lever. it's from the first 1000 group pulled from europeon sales that came with oddities. could this be why? the car has been fairly unmolested over the years.

mike
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
73 dealer service and info guide shows that the 150 speedometer was made standard.
anderssj
Hi Mike,

Looks like the fuel/combi gauge has the parking brake light at the top instead of a temp gauge, so I'd guess that the car was made with the appearance group--temp gauge would have been in the console.

Hope this helps.

Steve A-
Dave_Darling
The 1.7s and 1.8s that did not have center consoles did not have temp gauges. So the big red brake light is not really an indicator...

Let's see. Rollbar vinyl, chrome bumpers, center console, fog lights. I think those were all part of the "appearance group".

--DD
anderssj
Ooops--misread Mike's post . . . didn't see that it's a 1.7, so like Dave said, chrome bumpers, etc.
TravisNeff
My 73 non appearance package 1.7 has the 150 speedo
So.Cal.914
My early 74 also has a 150 silver button AWA the rest of the gauges.
jonferns
Paul, what is the build date of your '74?
orange914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 27 2008, 09:09 AM) *

The 1.7s and 1.8s that did not have center consoles did not have temp gauges. So the big red brake light is not really an indicator...

Let's see. Rollbar vinyl, chrome bumpers, center console, fog lights. I think those were all part of the "appearance group".

--DD

roll bar vinyll? didnt they all have vinyl?

ever see this console face? what about the factory looking open area (not a slot) for a non console heat lever? it was a very early 73 (first full consoles). ya hink thats why?

Rollbar vinyl, chrome bumpers, center console, fog lights... check... is there any numbers somewhere indicating this option?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
70-72 914-4 silver button 120mph
70-72 914-6 silver button 150mph
73-early 74 silver button 150mph
74.5-76 black button 150mph

alert alert: Some 76 models when they started to run out of instruments had fitted silver dial 150 mph along with matching tach and fuel gauge
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 27 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Paul, what is the build date of your '74?

47429XXXXX is all I have here, no sticker on the jam.
orange914
heres a clip from previously noted gauge guide information site... my question is what am i looking for in "slightly modified fuel gauge"?

" The 1973 model year heralded the introduction of the 2.0L engine, and with it a 150 MPH speedometer. Additionally, the fuel level / oil temperature combination gauge was introduced on 2.0L vehicles ordered without the optional "Appearance Group." For cars with the "Appearance Group," and slightly modified fuel gauge was used. "
gopack
LOOKING AT THE SITE YOU LINKED TO, IT SEEMS THIS IS EASY. THE PART NUMBER IS ON THE FACE OF EACH GUAGE, TOP CENTER. THERE ARE -10, -20, -40 AN -50 GUAGES AVAILABLE. JUST LOOK AT THAT AND VIOLA!
FUEL GUAGE LINK

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(orange914 @ Sep 3 2008, 02:23 AM) *

heres a clip from previously noted gauge guide information site... my question is what am i looking for in "slightly modified fuel gauge"?

" The 1973 model year heralded the introduction of the 2.0L engine, and with it a 150 MPH speedometer. Additionally, the fuel level / oil temperature combination gauge was introduced on 2.0L vehicles ordered without the optional "Appearance Group." For cars with the "Appearance Group," and slightly modified fuel gauge was used. "

I agree; that was a very poorly written and confusing passage on the Gauge Clusters page (even without the typo). Thank you for pointing it out. I have both corrected the "and" typo and clarified the passage.

The fuel gauge used in 1973 1.7L cars and 2.0L cars with the three-gauge console is part number 914 641 102 40 (pictured above). The 'modification" I was referring to was merely the centering of the hand brake symbol from the prior iteration of the gauge, part number 914 641 102 20. Anyway, from the pics, your dash gauges look correct and original for a 1973 1.7L.

Sorry for the confusion!
orange914
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Sep 3 2008, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Sep 3 2008, 02:23 AM) *

I agree; that was a very poorly written and confusing passage on the Gauge Clusters page (even without the typo). Thank you for pointing it out. I have both corrected the "and" typo and clarified the passage.

The fuel gauge used in 1973 1.7L cars and 2.0L cars with the three-gauge console is part number 914 641 102 40 (pictured above). The 'modification" I was referring to was merely the centering of the hand brake symbol from the prior iteration of the gauge, part number 914 641 102 20. Anyway, from the pics, your dash gauges look correct and original for a 1973 1.7L.

Sorry for the confusion!

steve, i take it you did the gauge research from your post. i in no way meant it to be critical of the work that you've donated to the 914 cause. acually it's people such as yourself that make this car interesting. i've owned alot of unique cars but can't say i've ever found a more interesting vehicle/enthusiasum.

by the way my 150mph odometer doesn't work. from what i've experianced on other vehicles and what i've heard about the 914 the "plastic" gear strips. if so is the metal 120mph gears swapable to repair the 150mph gauge? the picture is obvious these 2 won't but are there some w/ steel gears that are interchangable?

mike
Click to view attachment
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(orange914 @ Sep 3 2008, 06:57 PM) *

my 150mph odometer doesn't work. from what i've experianced on other vehicles and what i've heard about the 914 the "plastic" gear strips. if so is the metal 120mph gears swapable to repair the 150mph gauge?
mike

Mike,

Although plastic gear stripping may be your problem, it is likely that your 914 odometer failure is just a case of a specific gear coming loose. Pelican Parts has an excellent gauge repair article that may be of assistance. Check it out. Good luck!
gopack
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Sep 4 2008, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Sep 3 2008, 06:57 PM) *

my 150mph odometer doesn't work. from what i've experianced on other vehicles and what i've heard about the 914 the "plastic" gear strips. if so is the metal 120mph gears swapable to repair the 150mph gauge?
mike

Mike,

Although plastic gear stripping may be your problem, it is likely that your 914 odometer failure is just a case of a specific gear coming loose. Pelican Parts has an excellent gauge repair article that may be of assistance. Check it out. Good luck!

I have done the PP fix for the ODO, it was easy and took about 1 hour on the dining room table. While i was in there i cleaned the guage gace and the glass on the inside, and now it looks better than new, AND works!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.