Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve adjustment ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow1
I bought my car last year, i have no mechanical skills i need to get my valves checked since i have no idea when was the last time it was done . The car was purchased from a used car dealer and he had no info on the car history .I found a vw place that is about an hour away from me That will do it .i have read on this and other forums that the car should sit over night, my ? is can i drive the car to the shop and let it sit for 3 hours and have the valves done ,would this be a okay or will i have problems .I was told it would be $125.00 to have them done is this about right for adjusting the valves.Thx
r_towle
$125 sound about right. Make sure they put in new valve cover gaskets.
3 hours....not enough.
Drop it off the night before...

Rich
Joe Bob
agree.gif

Have them change the brake fluid as well, prolly was last done prior to the Clinton administration....
Cap'n Krusty
My shop rate, here in CA, is $110/hr. Adjusting the valves takes me 10-15 minutes, including putting the car on the lift and putting it back in the lot. Really bad ones take a half hour. For around $125-$130 you should be getting a small service, which includes an inspection, a valve adjustment, and an oil change and sump screen cleaning, and all the necessary parts.

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2008, 01:16 PM) *

My shop rate, here in CA, is $110/hr. Adjusting the valves takes me 10-15 minutes, including putting the car on the lift and putting it back in the lot. Really bad ones take a half hour. For around $125-$130 you should be getting a small service, which includes an inspection, a valve adjustment, and an oil change and sump screen cleaning, and all the necessary parts.

The Cap'n

Question,

On a lift, wheels hanging in the air.
How do you lock one wheel so you can turn the motor?
Or, how are you turning the motor??

Just curious.
On jack stands I put two lug bolts in and hang a three foot pry bar between the bolts and touching the floor.

I would like an even simpler way...

Rich
Joe Ricard
Why would you take the wheels off to set valves?
and it's like 30 minutes if I spend some time wiping off road grime or rubber dust.

I imagine the Capt has one of them fancy remote switches he hooks to the starter.
r_towle
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 27 2008, 01:39 PM) *

Why would you take the wheels off to set valves?
and it's like 30 minutes if I spend some time wiping off road grime or rubber dust.

I imagine the Capt has one of them fancy remote switches he hooks to the starter.

Easier access from the side without the damn tire in the way...
I have dont it with the tire on...just easier IMHO with no tire.
I always do something else when a car is up on jakc stands. laugh.gif
Rich
rmital
yellow1, where in NY are you?
adding your location might help if some other cluber is local to you.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2008, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2008, 01:16 PM) *

The Cap'n

Question,

On a lift, wheels hanging in the air.
How do you lock one wheel so you can turn the motor?
Or, how are you turning the motor??

Just curious.
On jack stands I put two lug bolts in and hang a three foot pry bar between the bolts and touching the floor.

I would like an even simpler way...

Rich

I follow the method clearly outlined in the classic threads, and I use a remote starter button, and I leave the spark plugs in and the tranny out of gear.

The Cap'n
yellow1
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 27 2008, 11:27 AM) *

yellow1, where in NY are you?
adding your location might help if some other cluber is local to you.

queens ,ny
yellow1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 27 2008, 09:03 AM) *

$125 sound about right. Make sure they put in new valve cover gaskets.
3 hours....not enough.
Drop it off the night before...

Rich

that,s what i thought , i guess i will have to find somebody to follow me there so i can drop it off , also get a ride back the next day to pick it up.Thx
yellow1
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 27 2008, 10:16 AM) *

The Cap'n

I wish u were here on the east coast cap'n, i would take my car to u in heart beat. I have read your method of doing the valves sounds easy ,but since i have never done them before i will pass for now, i was going to try it i went and purchased a feeler gauge and stands,then i chicken out i hope to 1 day learn to do it your way.Thx cap'n i enjoy reading your posts.
yellow1
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 27 2008, 09:07 AM) *

agree.gif

Have them change the brake fluid as well, prolly was last done prior to the Clinton administration....

your right ,i will have to do that ,and u reminded me i will have them replace the fuel filter ,i got stuck for the first time this summer about 3 weeks ago because i ran out gas,the gas gauge got stuck about 1/4 tank,it seems like it is working now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.