Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable/ shift lever binding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
waterboy
So I got my clutch cable installed yesterday, and it works great except for it is binding against the shift rod, which causes resistance when moving the lever. Can anyone tell me the correct routing of the shift cable so it will not contact the shift rod? Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Dave_Darling
If the clutch cable is binding against the shift rod, then it is likely that the clutch tube has broken loose from the inside of the center tunnel. Dig out all of your flashlights and mirrors, and remove the inspection plates in the top of the tunnel. Try to get a look at the clutch tube while you press the pedal--it should not move at all, and I'm betting that it is.

For a cut-away (literally!!) view of what goes inside the tunnel, see:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...nter_tunnel.htm

Repair involves cutting open the tunnel and welding or clamping the tube into place again. Remember, you'll be welding right next to fuel lines and electrical cables and so on. Being very very careful and having fire extinguishers handy is the way to survive that.

--DD
Brad Roberts
agree.gif Clutch tube is broken.

B
waterboy
Thanks for the replies. That sounds right that the clutch tube is loose--- not particularly looking forward to cutting open the center tunnel, but I guess its got to be done.. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.
Brad Roberts
I can do them now without cutting the tunnel open. The break has to be clean (you can see with a mirror if this is the case)

The factory used 2-3 spot welds from the outside of the center tunnel. I pull off the tar paper on the side of the tunnel in the location that they spotted in the bracket that holds the tube. I then drill thru the old spot welds and use a clamp to bring the clutch tube back over to the wall (un do the cable) Onec pulled over you will see the bracket appear in the small holes you drille. Fill them with the MIG welder making sure you dont strike the arc against the body first (must hit the bracket first).

I have done 3-4 now this way... no comebacks (my wifes car was one of them).

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.