Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Suspension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skeates
I would really like to upgrade to 5-lug suspension as I restore the teener and can't seem to find any price points to compare conversion options.

Originally I was anticipating swapping out the entire front suspension with 911, but now I am considering just replacing the struts/rotors/calipers and keeping the 914 A-arms, torsion bars, etc. I was wondering what the price difference would be between these two options and what the performance trade-offs would be for a car that will be more of a daily driver than a track machine. Any suggestions?
McMark
Here's a couple of recent threads:

5 Lug Conversion
3" vs 3.5"
Bigbohr
I think that the money is in the struts. You get the A-arms, crossbar and torsion bars nearly for free with them. Only an Alu crossbar may be worth extra. You could save some money on shipping though.
There may actually be an advantage using 914 A-arms if they have the tabs for an anti-sway bar - assuming you plan on using one. Also, you can always upgrade to stiffer 914 torsion bars if you see the need for it later.
For normal street use either using 914 or 911 A-arms should work fine.
If you want to save some money look at M-struts - if you are ok with M-calipers. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about also changing the rear brakes to match the front. If you have to change the rear brakes, then you are getting yourself into the parking brake issue.
skeates
Thanks for the links. I hadn't made it through that second one.

Now about the rear...my understanding was that if you wanted to upgrade to a 5-lug pattern one would have to replace the hub in the rear and use 914-6 or 911 calipers. Can one convert to 5-lug and still use the stock 914 caliper?
ahdoman
Yes you can. The best and easiest way to do it is talk to Eric Shea @ PMB Perfomance (www.pmbperformance.com). They sell the the rear trailing arms already drilled for 5 lug with all new bushings & bearings. Your stock rotors and calipers bolt right up. Or if you want to go with vented rotors they also sell a shim kit to space the caliper open to accept the vented rotors.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Sep 1 2008, 11:07 PM) *

Yes you can. The best and easiest way to do it is talk to Eric Shea @ PMB Perfomance (www.pmbperformance.com). They sell the the rear trailing arms already drilled for 5 lug with all new bushings & bearings. Your stock rotors and calipers bolt right up. Or if you want to go with vented rotors they also sell a shim kit to space the caliper open to accept the vented rotors.

agree.gif
skeates
Thanks all, my eyes are now open! drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.