Full Version: New at CAMP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 10 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Jim Chambers - where ya been?!!!

Hi Sean,

2 years ago my wife retired and we moved 300 miles south to
Ashland, OR. Before the move I sold my 2 914's, kept a 928. Couldn't stay off the internet and bought a very nice '76 914 from Maine in Sept. '06. In April '07 sold the 914 and 928 and bought a super nice 912 targa. Decided it would be my only toy car. Then decided no more old Porshes, sold the 912 and my wife's SLK, bought a '06 Carrera last April. We would be a two car family like normal people (Audi Wagon is the "family" car, us and 2 dogs). I have only a 2-car garage but have a lift so can store 3. Told wife I was going to sell the lift. She said no, wait at least a year (she didn't trust me). She was right. I made it from April to August. Found a 1-owner '70 914 on Craigs List in Weed, CA ,75 miles south of Ashland. So, I'm baaack! And glad to be here too!
Root_Werks
Jim, Jim, Jim, you were out and we pulled you back in! w00t.gif
rhodyguy
the roller is ready to roll. away...

k
Root_Werks
The blue 914 was loaded up and brought down to rhodyguy's (Kevins) place to be picked back up by CAMP914. The owner decided to leave the blue car as a roller and sell the 2.0 seperate from the car. The blue car is all still plumbed with the external oil cooler and holes/provisions for a factory style 914-6 oil tank so it'll hopefully find a good home again soon.

From here begins the long road of assembling the yellow 914. I haven't started doing much on that one yet. 90% of time has been spent getting to this point on the blue car. Michelle and I didn't get home until around 11PM last night. Man, I am sleepy. wacko.gif
carr914
Jim, Welcome back and we need some pictures of the new ride.

T.C.
rhodyguy
11pm. wow. so much for a casual wed evening. the roller is ready to roll. AWAY!!!!...ha
seanery
Nice to have you back, Jim! beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
Car is a "diamond in the rough". All original, no rust found yet. Irish green/tan (factory paint) without appearance group (no sail vinyl or chrome bumpers). I'll post some "before" pics soon. At my speed it will take a couple of months to do the detail work it needs.
Interesting history. PO bought it new in St. Louis while in graduate school after army duty. Became an overseas US teacher (shop) and took the car while teaching 4 years in Panama Canal Zone in early '70's. Has "turista" stickers from several Central American countries because he and wife drove it back to the states from there. After that it remained state side as he did 17 years in Saudi Arabia and most recently Camaroon. They came home every summer and that's when the car was driven. Has only 111K miles. He just retired and decided he wanted to replace it with a Boxster.
markb
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 11 2008, 06:14 AM) *

T.C.

agree.gif

Welcome back, Jim.
sixnotfour

T.C.

Welcome back, Jim.

Jim I will be coming Ashland next week , PM me, I like to stop by and say hi, if possible.

Good work Dan.
championgt1
biggrin.gif
JRust
Dibs on the roller idea.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 11 2008, 01:09 PM) *

Car is a "diamond in the rough". All original, no rust found yet. Irish green/tan (factory paint) without appearance group (no sail vinyl or chrome bumpers). I'll post some "before" pics soon. At my speed it will take a couple of months to do the detail work it needs.
Interesting history. PO bought it new in St. Louis while in graduate school after army duty. Became an overseas US teacher (shop) and took the car while teaching 4 years in Panama Canal Zone in early '70's. Has "turista" stickers from several Central American countries because he and wife drove it back to the states from there. After that it remained state side as he did 17 years in Saudi Arabia and most recently Camaroon. They came home every summer and that's when the car was driven. Has only 111K miles. He just retired and decided he wanted to replace it with a Boxster.

That is a great story. I hope you can manage to keep the stickers in place and in pristine condition...its what gives these cars a history...

I friend of mine if finishing up a 356A that has a similar world travel history.
To bad all the stickers are gone, but he did snag a great vintage suit case to put on the rear lugggage rack that has alot of the same stickers, and he is buying stickers as he can find them to complete the "story" of the car...

So cool where these cars have been and the things they have seen...

Rich
Root_Werks
Quick update on the yellow car. Got the 911 suspension all put in, turbo tie rods, aluminum cross member, all the good stuff.
Root_Werks
Couple of the oil tank holes drilled. Those who know, there are 2 left to go. Very clean 914, really nice engine bay. It'll get all cleaned up etc...
Root_Werks
Couple more quick updates, the damage to the clutch tube on the trans was pretty bad.
Root_Werks
I couldn't pull the tube out of the throw out bearing because it mushroomed. Yikes....
Root_Werks
All better! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
3.2 and 901 mated once again....
Root_Werks
Bottle neck now is parts delivery. Waiting on an RJ mount, the Heater/Headers from TC, muffler and I think that's it? idea.gif

Valves adjusted and replaced the RMS as well.
Root_Werks
Oil tank in. Engine bay is really clean and did a little painting underside just as a PM. As soon as I can get the RJ mount, the engine trans will get hung and the little stuff can start getting hooked back up.
number6
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 20 2008, 05:48 PM) *

Oil tank in. Engine bay is really clean and did a little painting underside just as a PM. As soon as I can get the RJ mount, the engine trans will get hung and the little stuff can start getting hooked back up.

dan, i'm ordering a pair of wevo ss trans mounts and will rush them up your way smile.gif

-duc
carr914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 20 2008, 08:43 PM) *

All better! biggrin.gif

Good Work, Dan. Looking Good.

Duc, you are going to have a fun car.

T.C.
number6
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 20 2008, 06:29 PM) *

All better! biggrin.gif

T.C.

I so can't wait! And I'm so glad I went this route, with Dan going over everything to make sure all is right.

Anyone have a complete Motronic FI setup for a 3.2? Can't hurt to ask, right? OK, I'll go post in the WTB/classifieds section... wink.gif

-duc
number6
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 20 2008, 05:43 PM) *

All better! biggrin.gif

you are the man, dan!!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 20 2008, 06:29 PM) *

All better! biggrin.gif

T.C.

Mucho thanks, parts of the project have been pretty laborous but fun! Glad to be able to sort some things out. My plan if parts arrive in time is to have Duc's 914 on the road by next weekend.

driving.gif
number6
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 20 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Mucho thanks, parts of the project have been pretty laborous but fun! Glad to be able to sort some things out. My plan if parts arrive in time is to have Duc's 914 on the road by next weekend.

dan, please don't tease me like that!

biggrin.gif

Root_Werks
Probably about the worst picture ever, but the RJ mount is in, paint drying for the night.
rjames
Yer a friggin' machine, Dan! Lookin' good! smilie_pokal.gif
Root_Werks
T.C. - The BB headers made it today just fine. Thanks for boxing everything up so nice. So this 914-6 will now have heat!
carr914
Cool, I was going to send you a pm to see if they got there. I'm looking forward to seeing this all come together. crest.gif

T.C.
dinomium
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 20 2008, 05:46 PM) *

Bottle neck now is parts delivery. Waiting on an RJ mount, the Heater/Headers from TC, muffler and I think that's it? idea.gif

Valves adjusted and replaced the RMS as well.

I want one of those, with green covers please.
thanks, Santa Dan
biggrin.gif
number6
The blue roller is all sad to be without a power plant. Won't someone please give her a good home and get her back on the road? Details in the classifieds section smile.gif
shaqdiesel
QUOTE(number6 @ Sep 25 2008, 05:29 PM) *

The blue roller is all sad to be without a power plant. Won't someone please give her a good home and get her back on the road? Details in the classifieds section smile.gif

what happened to the strong 2.0 liter four- is it for sale
number6
QUOTE(shaqdiesel @ Sep 27 2008, 01:08 AM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Sep 25 2008, 05:29 PM) *

what happened to the strong 2.0 liter four- is it for sale

The motor is now back at Camp and ready for a new home. She comes COMPLETE and ready to go. Plug'n'play! Fuel injection, powdercoated tin (manifolds, too), K&N, Pertronix electronic ignition, blue coil, external oil cooler (grill-mounted) with modified raintray...everything...even an easy-drain oil change valve. Clutch assembly, too! Asking $4,000 or best offer, which I think is very fair, given its completeness and proven reliability. Dynoed at ~115hp (limited by the stock FI), while still remaining fuel efficient. Properly broken in, does not leak a drop, completely reliable. Only 7K miles. Still under warranty. And very fun!

OK, end sale pitch smile.gif

(I'm a little ashamed of how dusty/dirty the engine is in photo below...but, unfortunately, it's the only pix I have. She's usually cleaner.)
Root_Werks
Lots of work over the weekend. Engine is in.
Root_Werks
Those SS BBoat headers look cool. Duc is bringing up the triad muffler this week and this project should be buttoned up pretty quick.
Root_Werks
Wirring is non-exsistant due to the blue donor conversion having the harnes cut out, so I didn't have anything to bring over to the yellow car unless I wanted to rob parts from the perfectly good running 2.0 FI I pulled out. Not an option so I dug through my stash and found what I needed. Whew! Now onto getting everything wired up.
PeeGreen 914
When he comes up to pick up the car I would like to come see biggrin.gif

Looking good Dan. Good work as always.
number6
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 28 2008, 08:24 PM) *

Those SS BBoat headers look cool. Duc is bringing up the triad muffler this week and this project should be buttoned up pretty quick.

Dan, you are the man! pray.gif

Yikes, I need to detail the undercarriage, don't I? The wheels will be clean, at least. Just got them back from the powdercoater. wub.gif

Also got the Wevo semi-solid trans mounts. So sweet and purdy!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Sep 28 2008, 08:31 PM) *

When he comes up to pick up the car I would like to come see biggrin.gif

Looking good Dan. Good work as always.

I'll be working on it after about 5PM each day until it's done. Swing on by anytime.

Duc - those rims look amazing! It'll be great to get the car back down on it's shoes again. I know 914's love jackstands, but even they get tired of them after a while. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
What a freegeen mess. smile.gif All done on the underside and just the wiring to go now. All the heater stuff is hooked up and looks great. Ready for any PNW weather. driving.gif
Root_Werks
All the detail stuff takes a long time to finish up. The wirring really is easy for me. Been there done that dozens of times by now. I almost have what terminals to what memorized. But I don't, so I am looking for my 10+ year old cheat sheet. Around here somewhere..... idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
Wow Duc, your car is looking really nice.
number6
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 1 2008, 11:20 PM) *

thanks, jon! all the credit goes to dan, of course. he's done a really incredible job. for anyone in the area looking for this kind of work, i highly recommend him. he's a nice guy, to boot.

i think i'll be driving-girl.gif this weekend. wohoo!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(number6 @ Oct 1 2008, 11:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Oct 1 2008, 11:20 PM) *

thanks, jon! all the credit goes to dan, of course. he's done a really incredible job. for anyone in the area looking for this kind of work, i highly recommend him. he's a nice guy, to boot.

i think i'll be driving-girl.gif this weekend. wohoo!

Let us know. I live right by Dan. Dan does do nice work and is a very nice guy. I would recomend him to anyone looking for help or needing work aktion035.gif
bcheney
Dan & Duc, You guys make a great team. So much enthusiasm and excitement to close the deal and get the car on the road. You are inspiring me to finish my car! I have a 75 the same color that is getting converted by yours truly...I may need some tips on wiring... My buddy TC's supply of HE's to ya should make the those cold morning drives really nice. Keep the updates coming.

Brian
carr914
the Ducster's looking GOOD.

Brian, you need the motivation. Get working on your car, I want to see it running some day biggrin.gif

T.C.
Root_Werks
I should have had it running last night, but I fell a day behind on Tuesday when a bunch of teeners got together for chowtime.gif drunk.gif
messix
i wonder if i my car goes into dans garage if it will just magically come back out coverted to a six and five lug? idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.