Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing the Teenster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
r_towle
After thinking about this for three or more years, I finally got off my ass, cleaned a few old projects up and got those doen so I can focus on my next big project.

The Teenster ™

This will be with no targa bar and a speedster style windscreen.
Single hoop, wind cone behind.

Here are the startup pics...The tub came from Cevin (Chris) in Western MA. He gave it to me a year or more ago and I just put it in the back....I knew it would eventually come in handy.

Stripped the F/R suspension and started to rebuild the front bumper mounts so I can get it up on the rotisierre.

Rich
r_towle
vvvv
r_towle
fixed
r_towle
One of the many inspirations for the project.
Yes it will be black.
It will also have a legal, yet very short windscreen.

Rich
Wilhelm
Cool! But my heart goes out to you regarding the rust! In Oregon I've never had to deal with that much and got to give you a lot of credit for tackling that.
r_towle
Some cold air intakes...

Rich
rjames
This will be cool. aktion035.gif Looking forward to the updates as you make progress on The Teenster ™
TC.356
Whoa . . . those louvered side intake panels are SWEET ! ! !

Where did you get 'em? What did they come from? And if you made them, why didn't you make an extra set for MY 356 ? ! ? ! ? !

I gotta know, they're PISSA ! ! ! ! !

TC
Joe Bob
Define "legal"....I never could find a definition in the CA regs. One thing I did find was a windshield wiper requirement.
r_towle
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 4 2008, 08:23 PM) *

Define "legal"....I never could find a definition in the CA regs. One thing I did find was a windshield wiper requirement.

Higher than your head...(debatable...slouch a bit)
Dollar bill in glass height minimum, the long way.
That is my story and Im sticking with it.
I have asked all the low chopped hotrods I can find...

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(TC.356 @ Sep 4 2008, 08:11 PM) *

Whoa . . . those louvered side intake panels are SWEET ! ! !

Where did you get 'em? What did they come from? And if you made them, why didn't you make an extra set for MY 356 ? ! ? ! ? !

I gotta know, they're PISSA ! ! ! ! !

TC

they are custom made...go look at the site emorymotorsports.com look under workshop...the car is there.

Geez, take a good look at the pic and the web site address is right there.

Rich
Joe Bob
What about wipers, Tonto?
J P Stein
Well......you started off with a good color.
One of the shitbox's many guises. Lemmeno when you get this fast. biggrin.gif
r_towle
My state says stock wiper mechanisms... So it will get two wipers.
Says nothing about the blades....chopped beetle blades or speedster blades will do. It wont have a roof, so I doubt I will ever need wipers except for the yearly inspection...

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 4 2008, 09:01 PM) *

Well......you started off with a good color.
One of the shitbox's many guises. Lemmeno when you get this fast. biggrin.gif

That is creepy...same color.
IC you loved that color as much as I do...laugh.gif

The plan is to run it in the spring with whatever motor I can afford to put together. Currently I have a 2.0 liter I can build with new parts, though I would like to go alot bigger...

I do have a special motor planned, but not for this next year.
For next year it will be about tuning the chassis till its perfect.
Then once its ready, the motor will be there.

Wheels...
Need to find 8 or 9 inch fuchs...its the only choice.

Rich
plymouth37
Oh hell yes! Welcome to the speedster club! aktion035.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 4 2008, 09:20 PM) *

Oh hell yes! Welcome to the speedster club! aktion035.gif

Thanks. I will be sticking with aircooled for the motor...
This is about what should have been, not what could be...

Rich
carr914
This is one cool things I like about 914s. They are close to 40 years old, you can come up with your own ideas, you can modify them, make em faster, etc.

Look forward to see it as it comes along.

T.C.
scotty b
W.S. wipers eh idea.gif

I know..............you need a midget..........a big ass suction cup............and a squeegee
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 4 2008, 09:36 PM) *

This is one cool things I like about 914s. They are close to 40 years old, you can come up with your own ideas, you can modify them, make em faster, etc.

Look forward to see it as it comes along.

T.C.

I have a few personal rules and some sanctioning rules for this project.

I must be able to drive to the event.
Its must be road legal.
It must be PCA legal, thus porsche chassis, motor and transmission...ala air cooled.

Other than that, its an green field.
I plan to modify every panel...gotta keep the eye entertained.
A couple of areas that will be sectioned and some 904 like wheel openings.

I think I may go for the targa bar tommmorow, Im not in the mood to rebuild the other front bumper mount...its boring, and tedious.

Rich
rick 918-S
Post lots of photos Rich! aktion035.gif driving.gif popcorn[1].gif
PeeGreen 914
Sounds very cool. Can't wait to see more pictures when you are further in. We have some really cool builds going on right now with yours and the anklebiter.
roadster fan
popcorn[1].gif Oh yeah baby, this is gonna be fun!

Jim
Cevan
Here is the car back in Dec, 06. I paid $125! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(Cevan @ Sep 5 2008, 09:39 AM) *

Here is the car back in Dec, 06. I paid $125! smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Yup. you got what you paid for...and so did I laugh.gif

Its got some issues, but it will come out the other side of this alive and cool.

Rich
TC.356
Yup . . . finally noticed the website name/address on the screen capture . . . sorry 'bout that!

How are you planning on fabrication the spyder-style body panels and such? Steel, aluminum, fiberglass? This looks like it's just going be a terrific project, I'm really interested ! !
r_towle
QUOTE(TC.356 @ Sep 5 2008, 12:40 PM) *

Yup . . . finally noticed the website name/address on the screen capture . . . sorry 'bout that!

How are you planning on fabrication the spyder-style body panels and such? Steel, aluminum, fiberglass? This looks like it's just going be a terrific project, I'm really interested ! !

All Metal.
If you look at the louvers, they did a great job.
Lay it out, remove the panel, louver it, then weld it back in place.

Rich
r_towle
Little bit of layout, sectioning, cutting, bending metal.

Rich
r_towle
Firewall cut and mocked up. Still need to finish it for fitting...a bit of lengthening that occurs when sectioning....such is life.

Rich
r_towle
finish cutting on one side. The objective is to remove all traces of the targa bar, so no notch in the fender and no geometric lines.

Rich
r_towle
Then some more cutting.
r_towle
one more
rick 918-S
Glad to see your working on her. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
roadster fan
smile.gif I am glad to see you are getting rid of the sails completely. Usually you see the easy way out on leave a liittle of the sails on so you can use the engine lid stock. More work the way you are doing it, but man is it gonna look sweet aktion035.gif

Keep the progress pics coming popcorn[1].gif

Jim
Spoke
Sweet. Can't wait to see more progress. I love the 914 but the targa roll hoop is the ugliest part of the car. Removing it transforms the 914 into a near beauty.

It's almost like the designers ran out of ideas on how to sculpt the roof around the engine hood.
HeloMech
starting to look like my old MGB!

I think the targa bar is one of the BETTER parts of the 914... smile.gif
J P Stein
pic one:Somebody photochopped this pic of my car.....not too bad.
pic two: My starting point was a bit higher class.....but the same color.
r_towle
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 6 2008, 05:15 PM) *

pic one:Somebody photochopped this pic of my car.....not too bad.
pic two: My starting point was a bit higher class.....but the same color.

So you started with a nice car and built a shit box.
Im starting with a shitbox and building a nice car.

We should meet in the middle at some point along the way.

Rich
r_towle
Made some progress, not as much time as I would really enjoy, but I did get time to build the rear fender top.

Playing with the louver layout right now...

More fender mods to come but I need to do it in phases to keep it straight..
Its all metal right now, still needs more hammer and dolly work, but I painted it to keep the flash rust form happening.
When all the metal work is done it will get sandblasted.

r_towle
more of the same
r_towle
one more shot
plymouth37
Looking Good!
r_towle
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 17 2008, 12:13 AM) *

Looking Good!

Thank you. That means alot coming from someone who did such fantastic work....your car is cool..

speaking of that....GET TO WORK...

Rich
plymouth37
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 16 2008, 09:25 PM) *

speaking of that....GET TO WORK...

Rich

av-943.gif Tell my teachers to stop assigning so much damn engineering homework and I will get right back to work!

Seriously though I will be watching the louver install closely, those are going to look really good, they remind me of the 718's flanks.
It's nice to see you making progress, wish I could do the same!

Dana.
PeeGreen 914
This is looking really good Rich. Nice work.
Justinp71
I think this is going to turn out AWESOME!!!
r_towle
Its been a while since I could find the time to work on this project.

I spent a few days cutting, chopping, sectioning etc.
Its in its "rough draft" form right now.
Lots of hammer and dolly work still to do and lots of finish welding.

Its kinda hard to see here but I sectioned out the fender lip and along with another one from a parts car I created a proper diameter round lip by raising the top edge and filling in the front and back.

I chopped the rear tailights and dropped the rear fender along with adding a wedge piece on top to move the fender out 1.5 inches...

Overall I am starting to like it...its not exactly what I had in mind, but it never is.
I have 10.75 inches behind the fender and from what I learned 11 inches is the results of putting on stock flares...so between what I did and the fender lip being moved up I am hoping I will have the clearance I am looking for.

Worst case scenario is I will drive it in primer probably for the next season anyways so I can always bend and hammer a bit more before I am in paint...I learn my lesson on the last car...Im waiting this time to see it rub in real life autoX.

Here are a few pics, more work to be done so be kind.

Rich
r_towle
bbbb
r_towle
I took about 2 inches out of the rear valance...so the taillights are going to be 1.75 tall..or thereabouts...I like that part it looks cool to me..and that is important..

Cevan
Sweet!! LED tail lights?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.