Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: radiator and hose for subaru project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldscamaross
hey guys,
Ive got a 73 and i am doing a subi swap. i am trying to do a little research on the radiators that you guys are doing for your projects. I would also be intrested in the v8 guys swaps as well. Which radiators are you using and what has worked best for you? I have heard that early year camaro radiators work great. I am planning on having around 350 horse and it is turboed. i just want to make sure it is going to stay cool. i am planning on building a custom shroud in front and behind the radiator. i am looking to vent it through the hood. The evo style vent has caught my eye and i think i will go that rout. I am aware of the renagade set up but i also love to do my own stuff and i think i can build one just as good for less than $1000. I am also intrested in hearing where and what type of hose you are running from the radiator to the engine compartment. I am planning on rubber hose underneath. The only source i have been able to find is the green gates hose. Im sure it is top quality but i was curous if you guys are using, and have had good results, with any other brands.
thanks in advance
andy
jimkelly
it almost sounds like you are unaware of

www.renegadehybrids.com

their's is $1000 but will work well and save you alot of time.

summitracing sells fan shrouds if you must make the whole thing yourself.

jim
ldscamaross
thanks for the sugjestion. i have looked at the site. i know they make a great set up. I am just curious what you guys are useing for radiators and hoses. like i said ii am planning on building my own shroud. i am looking for a radiator with measurements that are close to the tollerances of the front area.
thanks
Carlitos Way
Do a search for Tonyakavw's conversion. he did a really nice conversion, for a NA motor. If i'm not mistaken, he listed all his materials and costs.
dakotaewing
I found this yesterday....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/16X31-DOUBL...55279QQtcZphoto

r_towle
Take a look at the boxter radiators, not only the radiator, but how its mounted and ducted....

Rich
jimkelly
my pic
cobra94563
If you want a turnkey solution, the renegade works for a lot of people.

I'm trying a 16x27 2 row, single pass with a 3000cfm single fan for a sbc conversion. 27inch can fit between the headlights no problem. Runs OK at 180-200 most of the time.
(I have a similar radiator for 375-400hp in a different car, no problems.)
But for the 914, (only 280hp,) somehow the airflow is not as good out of the front compartment (I'm still workinng on it.) I think a hood opening would be more efficient, but I want to keep a stock looking hood and I tried to limit size the wheel well openings.

If I go to a 350hp engine, I would probably move to a dual pass, 2 fan setup, similar to renegade.

ldscamaross
thanks for the posts. i am also looking at purchasing some radiator hose for the project as well. what are you guys using. the only thing i have found is the gates green hose. is their any thing else how much and where did you get it. thanks
Wilhelm
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 8 2008, 04:45 PM) *

Are you going to mount that behind the headlight buckets or between them. When I measure between my buckets I get about 30 1/2". So if I go between the buckets something will have to give a bit.
andys
AFCO ASA racing radiator, dual pass. Two 10" Zirgo fans w/fabricated shroud, Exhausted through the hood. Foam gasketing around all ducting (not shown; early photo). Shroud photo shows (orange) one-way flaps.

Andys

Wilhelm
QUOTE(andys @ Sep 12 2008, 02:21 PM) *

AFCO ASA racing radiator, dual pass. Two 10" Zirgo fans w/fabricated shroud, Exhausted through the hood. Foam gasketing around all ducting (not shown; early photo). Shroud photo shows (orange) one-way flaps.

Andys

Is that this? http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbr...hr_dbl-pass-rad
andys
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Sep 12 2008, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Sep 12 2008, 02:21 PM) *

Andys

Is that this? http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbr...hr_dbl-pass-rad

Yup, that's it; #80133N. I think I paid $229 a couple of years ago.

Andys
dakotaewing
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Sep 12 2008, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 8 2008, 04:45 PM) *

Are you going to mount that behind the headlight buckets or between them. When I measure between my buckets I get about 30 1/2". So if I go between the buckets something will have to give a bit.

Wilhelm -
If you were to use this radiator, you would have to be behind the buckets a bit due to the height of the radiator... This radiator has a higher capicity than most of the other units that are installed vertically...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.