Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bcheney 6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
bcheney
Click to view attachment

My Porsche fascination began back in the early 70's racing 917 Can Am slot cars in the basement of my house when I was 7 or 8 yrs old...When I was Freshman in college (1982-83)I began a searching for a 912. I couldn't find one in my price range. I met a woman taking some college courses and after studying on campus one evening I walked her out to her car. When when she stopped at a yellow 914 with For Sale sign in the back window I said "is this yours?" She replied..."no it belongs to my husband...he bought it new in 1975 at the dealer in Sarasota, FL. and he just ordered a new 911SC so this is up for sale". I asked her for the price and she told me she would have to let me know the next day. Within three days I purchased the car for $4750.00 with a loan from my dad. I drove it for a the balance of my college years at the University of Florida. Much fun...many autocrosses and few DE's with PCA. The car sat on jackstands in my aunts garage from 1988 until 2001. It had battery tray rot and needed an inner wheelhouse, rear floor pan etc. I began working on its restoration. About two years ago I decided to convert it to a six after picking up a motor and many conversion pieces from a guy who had planned to convert his 75 914 to a six...Within about a month I found out that another local guy here in Orlando by the name of Rick purchased the 75 roller from Jim.. the guy I bought the conversion bits from. After meeting him through PM on this site he told me he planned to convert the roller to a six as well ! The world of 914's is crazy...Here are a few pics of the car. I will begin posting more as the project progresses. Today I rough installed the RJ bulkhead mount.
FourBlades
Can't wait to see more pictures. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

I am in Melbourne doing a Raby 2270 in a rusty wreck.

Let me know if you need parts, I may have some rust repair stuff for you.

John

bcheney
another pic
bcheney
pic
rfuerst911sc
Hey Brian it's about time you get going on that conversion happy11.gif How did the Rich Johnson mount install go? As you stated you purchased all the /6 conversion parts and I bought the roller.........................small world. Your car looks good and soon we'll drive them over to Tampa and give TC a hand with his " dealership of 914's " he has biggrin.gif If you need anything just holler. beerchug.gif
bcheney
pic

bcheney
pic

bcheney
Thanks Fourblades and Rick! I really want to get this thing done. Here is a list of a few parts that are sitting in my garage awaiting installation

1. Powdercoated front suspension with M-Calipers 911 vented rotors and Bilstein
Sports
2. Powderoated 5 bolt conversion rear trailing arms compliments of Eric Shea at
PMB with 914/4 V-Caliper kits, vented 911 rotors and Bilstein Sports
3 GT engine lid from "Sergio" PCA7GGR on this site
4. 4-6x16 Fuchs
and many, many more

I want to be done before Rick. So, I really need some encouragement from my 914 brothers...carr914, URY914, SMG, rfuerst911sc, Glenn at Pelican Parts, 914rrr, and watsonrx13. Rick says he'll be done by Christmas.
scotty b
Nice car and don't take this the wrong way but that hood crest is riding a bit high. huh.gif
carr914
Brian Git-R-Done. I took a ride over to URY's house today for the 1st time with the Mega-Phones sticking out the back. Afterword, I had two young chicks that wanted rides. I gave a ride to the one that I knew was of age. naughty.gif

T.C.
watsonrx13
Brian, looks great....Glad to see you working on the car... I've finally figured out the FI on my second project car and hopefully will have it drivable (insured) soon. The weather should be turning cooler so I'll arrange another TBB. Let us know if you need some help in the near future...

-- Rob
bcheney
Will do Rob. Glad to hear about the FI. Keep pluggin away!
brant
Brian,

what color is that
(name or code)

it looks great
I like!
keep up the good work
brant
roadster fan
popcorn[1].gif Keep posting pics of the progress, looks like a nice ride!

Jim
URY914
B,

Wow, now you've advanced to posting pics and thinking about your car stage of the -6 conversion. Maybe another 8-9 years it will see the light of day.

Keep up the hard work. I know you'll git 'er done before Miller gets his Vette running. av-943.gif

bcheney
Thanks for the compliments guys. The paint code is L13K Summer (Sunflower) Yellow. Millers vette will never run again....
bcheney
Pics of refurbished suspension, M-Front calipers (V-Caliper Rear Kits) with new strut inserts and vented discs
bcheney
Pics of refurbished suspension, M-Front calipers (V-Caliper Rear Kits) with new strut inserts and vented discs
bcheney
Here are some BEFORE pics of the rust issues...Battery Tray and Inner Wheel House

bcheney
More BEFORE

bcheney
AFTER...

bcheney
Now how bout a new rear floor...first some BEFORE pics..

greenie
Wow!

Beautiful work, you are doing a first class job.

I'm going to follow this closely, keep posting lots of pics as you go along.
bcheney
Let's cut that bad floor out!

bcheney
Big escape hatch!!
bcheney
Time to close the gaps...

bcheney
Here is how it turned out on the interior side..

bcheney
continued..
URY914
WOW, Nice work. smilie_pokal.gif
bcheney
The front floors were not as bad as the rear...surface rust only...So, I stripped them down to the metal and used POR Metal Ready treatment and final coated them with POR15. It turned out very nice.
bcheney
The front floors were not as bad as the rear...surface rust only...So, I stripped them down to the metal and used POR Metal Ready treatment and final coated them with POR15. It turned out very nice.
[/quote]
Justinp71
Nice Work!

What size motor are you going with?
bcheney
Just a freshly re-built 2.2 with E-cams and Webers. It's an original six case.
watsonrx13
B, great job.... smilie_pokal.gif I love before and after pics.... aktion035.gif

-- Rob
bcheney
Well I got my 6 headers back from JET-HOT this past week. They really look nice and are supposed to do a great job of holding heat inside the pipes giving the engine and tranny get a little break from the temps.
bcheney
Had some time this afternoon...So, I installed the front suspension and steering rack.

jc914
Nice work in restoring the car beerchug.gif
carr914
Brian, Paul and I are thinking about starting a Lottery to see who picks a date closest to the completion date of this project.

I'm thinking around your daughter HS Graduation biggrin.gif She's the one on the left in Pink

Click to view attachment

Your buddy, T.C. stirthepot.gif
Root_Werks
Great progress! You're doing some really clean work.
bcheney
TC..you are right that is my daugther in the pink. She traded off turning in FTD with my other daughter the day that pic was taken at the Porsche Parade in Charlotte this past summer. Thanks for stirring the pot...I continue to need that so the car gets done. Dan, I appreciate the kind words. I am really trying to do a nice job. It won't be a concours car... I am not much for garage queens. Definately want to catch up with you on how to wire this car up as I am using a internally regulated alternator and a MSD box.
URY914
Brian, is that you in the background with the bald head?
bcheney
No...that's a guy trying to calculate how many more months it will take me to get my car running so I can come over to Tampa and do donuts in your front yard!
URY914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 7 2008, 04:15 PM) *

No...that's a guy trying to calculate how many more months it will take me to get my car running so I can come over to Tampa and do donuts in your front yard!

OMG, I'll be retired and living in The Villages by then. laugh.gif
bcheney
Here is a picture of the holiday progress on my 6 conversion....If you look closely on the far left you can see the fresh 2.2 under its red blanket sleeping peacfully....Someday I will drive this car...

Click to view attachment
URY914
Where's the car?
bcheney
I'm back on this project....It has been a long year with many distractions. I'm awaiting an engine wiring harness from Patrick Motorsports....it should arrive just after Christmas! That will allow me to get moving on the engine install. My sideshifter shift rod is being modified by Rich Johnson as we speak...I have a set of headers that don't allow use of the stock shift rod without some slight changes. I installed the sleeves for my elephant bushings the other day. Front suspension is ready to bolt up. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Justinp71
Keep up the good work! santa_smiley.gif
bcheney
Today I got both control arms installed with the Elephant Poly Bronze bushings. Here is a picture of my "freshened up" Leistritz Sport muffler with Wurth Zinc coating for that OEM look! I then went to work on cleaning up my front hubs...got'em ready for install tomorrow with Zimmerman discs and rebuilt and plated M-Calipers.
campbellcj
Looking good! I know how it is to have these projects stall-out. I just got back to work on my -6 conversion this past summer after it basically sat for 3+ years.

Keep us posted on your progress!
rfuerst911sc
Brian if you're not careful you might finish your car by 2012 !!! biggrin.gif Looking good keep going. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.