Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kind of OT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
If I asked this on the 356registry, It would get all political and all the 356 guys would not ever answer the question...just trash the idea.

So, its a simple question...

Does a flat six fit in a 356? No rear deck lid modification...exterior mods that is..
It can loose the rain tray if needed.

Just wondering if anyone has seen on and could provide a link or two that shows a few pics of a flat 6 motor in a 356.

Thanx
Rich
scotty b
Simple answer No, it has been done but there is siginificant metal mods needed. I would assume you're talking about a 915 trans as well ?? Even MORE involved metal work. Not a task for the fiant of fart. interior engine bay structure needs to be modded, if a 915 trans is used most all of the underside neds to be re-arranged. Best way is to get a 911 rear clip, that way everything is already in place for the 911 parts
Dave_Darling
The green one looked pretty stock from the outside. From the inside, it was a whole 'nother story. That Six was really crammed into the engine bay, even though there had been surgery to the front and sides of the bay.

--DD
sixerdon
Be careful Rich. The 356 Registry is watching you.

Don
LarryR
Well yes but better be a master fabricator or bring your check book :

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/23/

3.6 vram and 915 into a 356. beerchug.gif
sww914
I've done one. We took the torsion bar tube out of a 911 and added the whole 911 rear suspension, engine, and 901 trans. We put a roll bar and tied the rear shock pickups into the roll bar. We had to cut some sheet metal out of the firewall and used some 911 pieces to fill in the blanks. It's about twice as hard as putting a 6 in a Vanagon. Not for the faint of heart or those lacking a mig and a plasma.
r_towle
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Sep 14 2008, 04:56 PM) *

Be careful Rich. The 356 Registry is watching you.

Don

I dont care if the 356registry is watching.
Its the attitude I dont want to hear.

A bunch of people that only write checks to get things done...
I dont even log into it anymore.
Its a different generation and a different set of goals in life.

I would never put my heart and soul into a car so I can look at it in the garage.
I want to build a reliable, fuel injected, modern, insulated, AC equipped car that happens to look like a 356...
I may go for a subaru conversion, but a 911 motor is not out of the question.

Watch all you want.

rich
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 14 2008, 02:47 PM) *

The green one looked pretty stock from the outside. From the inside, it was a whole 'nother story. That Six was really crammed into the engine bay, even though there had been surgery to the front and sides of the bay.

--DD

What green one???

Rich
URY914
Everything has been done before...
KaptKaos
Years ago, VW&P mag had an article on a 356 Cabrio with a 3.2 and chrome cookies. IIRC they said it was a butt load of fab work.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2008, 02:28 PM) *
What green one???

There is or was a green 356 locally (SF Bay Area) that had a 911 engine wedged into it. I've seen it at a couple of concours though the years. I may have a few hardcopy pics around somewhere; I don't think I have any digital ones at all. I think it was a 356 C.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
I've done one, and the guys at TRE have done at least one. Not difficult if you can cut, measure, and weld. Harder to put the 5 speed in than the engine, and a 901 fits in without that much difficulty. I've done 2 of those. The Cap'n
r_towle
any underbody pics?
Did you move the tranny forwards? Do you have to in order to get the motor to fit under the deck lid???

I am ok with the tranny and IRS conversion...got all the parts I need and I will get a rear of a 912 for the tube. That is all cut out waiting the new tube...
Rear seat is going to be completely removed for good. Its useless anyways...

More curious if the motor fits or if I need to move the package forward a bit more, and if so....how much forward?

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2008, 06:13 PM) *

any underbody pics?
Did you move the tranny forwards? Do you have to in order to get the motor to fit under the deck lid???

I am ok with the tranny and IRS conversion...got all the parts I need and I will get a rear of a 912 for the tube. That is all cut out waiting the new tube...
Rear seat is going to be completely removed for good. Its useless anyways...

More curious if the motor fits or if I need to move the package forward a bit more, and if so....how much forward?

Rich

Everything needs to be moved forward. The tranny hump ( use the 911 metal)will be moved significantly forward so a back seat is pretty much nill. Sides of engine bay need to be reshaped, I believe the firewall will need to be cut out and moved forward as well
Joe Bob
Yeah...like I never did one.....

Frankensteatlth....2.2 "S" motor. The search button is yer friend.
r_towle
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 14 2008, 11:06 PM) *

sounds like you used a stock tranny with a kennedy adapter (thanks for making me read ten damn threads to find out)

So, do you have pics from underneath?
If stock tranny, did it hit the deck lid?

Rich
Joe Bob
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2008, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 14 2008, 11:06 PM) *

sounds like you used a stock tranny with a kennedy adapter (thanks for making me read ten damn threads to find out)

So, do you have pics from underneath?
If stock tranny, did it hit the deck lid?

Rich

Ya have my phone number....call me, ya weenie..... bootyshake.gif

I doan give out ALL my secrets.....geez.... shades.gif
iamchappy
Anything is possible....
KaptKaos
Wasn't someone building 4 cylinder versions of the air cooled 6er? That might make a nice swap too.
yea y dont you swap in a beefed up raby type4. it be light and you can get almost as much power with a type4 these days as a six, well some sixes
just my $.02
r_towle
polopopolis is making the 30k motors from /6 motors.
To much money...

A type 4 is not for every application...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.