Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with a closeup photo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
t2avlis
I am looking for some help with a 73 914 2.0L that looks like it is missing a relay from the fuel injection board. If someone could post a close up photo of the board with the cover off that would be helpful.

Thanks
Racer
Is it a circular relay you think you are missing? IIRC, not all 4 relays are needed. At least 2 are (one for fuel pump, one for fuel injection), I think a third is some lighting and I think the 4th is for a rear defroster. At least that's for a '76. Sorry I don't have a pic of mine to share at the moment.
Cap'n Krusty
Unless you have the heated rear window option, which is pretty rare, the forwardmost relay is supposed to be missing. The rearmost relay is for the heater blower, the two in between are the FI system relay and the fuel pump relay.

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 15 2008, 06:11 PM) *

Unless you have the heated rear window option, which is pretty rare, the forwardmost relay is supposed to be missing. The rearmost relay is for the heater blower, the two in between are the FI system relay and the fuel pump relay.

I like to use the front relay socket to hold a spare relay ...

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image
r_towle
dirty dirty dirty....bad boy

wrong ground nut location also....two demerits..

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 15 2008, 07:17 PM) *

wrong ground nut location also....two demerits..

What? confused24.gif

You on crack again?
biggrin.gif Andy
r_towle
mine is below the board...way down low so it can rust nicely...
I remember it fondly each year when I get to clean it...
Thought they put all of them down low.
And yours is cleaner than mine...though mine has a nice shiny oily glow to it all...its like engine bay wax...keeps it all shiny...

Rich
t2avlis
Thanks for the photo and all the help. I was confused by the missing relay but I dont have the rear window defroster so I the empty spot makes sense.
rjames
I've had some electrical issues with my 914 in the past (who hasn't) and noticed that the only wires on mine that are grounded to the chasis under the relay board in my car are the 4 (or so) wires clustered together.

Is there supposed to be a ground that goes directly from the the relay board to the chasis similar to the one shown in Andy's photo?
Sleepin
So which relay is the rear window relay? I have spent some time troubleshooting mine on the '73. I have power to the switch (light comes on) but not to the leads on the window.
rjames
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 17 2008, 11:28 AM) *

So which relay is the rear window relay? I have spent some time troubleshooting mine on the '73. I have power to the switch (light comes on) but not to the leads on the window.

The Cap'n

McMark
Some cars have the grounding stud under the relay board. Some are above. Get over it! It's called production changes. tongue.gif
Sleepin
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2008, 01:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 17 2008, 11:28 AM) *

The Cap'n

051103-stupid4.gif Doh!
SirAndy
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2008, 09:47 AM) *

Is there supposed to be a ground that goes directly from the the relay board to the chasis similar to the one shown in Andy's photo?

Only if you switched over to carbs ...
shades.gif Andy

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=25954

swl
From front to back:
rear window defogger
main power relay (fi)
fuel pump relay
heater blower relay (the blower right under the relay panel.

Cap'n - don't know why you say the rear window defrosters are rare. Almost every 914 I've seen has one wink.gif
rjames
Cap'n - don't know why you say the rear window defrosters are rare. Almost every 914 I've seen has one

I would assume that the Great White North probably saw more of those units installed then California did...
swl
you did see the wink right? Sad part is most of those rare options are sitting in rusted out hulks in Mark Henry's back field sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.