Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear brake problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
hello again, here it is i tried turning my drivers rear wheel by hand and it is kinda rubbing. pass side is nice and smooth. i'm guessing the caliper is sticking. is there a way to free it up like an adjustment? maybe something involving a sledge hammer? i am not emotionally equipt to handle rebuilding it. really i just wanted to drop in my 2.0 and enjoy the fall weather. i am one more problem from buying a boxter HELP !!!!!!! headbang.gif

part deux
i removed the pads and the pistons seemed frozen, so i put a piece of wood in there and tapped the brake pedal (i read that somewhere)the wood popped out ,now the pistons are all the way out to the disk, so i tried loosening the nut and resetting them but they won't go back. now i'm stuck
roadster fan
Go check out the thread below on the rear brakes and how to adjust them. There is an inner and outer adjuster on each caliper and the venting clearance needs to be set for proper operation.

don't panic yet. you will need to push the piston in while you turn the adjuster to get the pistons to go back in. do one side at a time and watch the fluid reservoir to make sure it doesnt overflow while you push them back in.

One thing at a time and you will have the car on the road. I have found you cannot rush the process, but the reward is worth it driving.gif

Eric Shea Classic on Rear Brakes

Jim
nycchef
o.k. i got the inner to go back in most of the way, i think with a little adjustment i will be able to get that pad in, the outer will not budge. i tried loosening the screw the problem is the piston is so far out that i can't get anything in there to leverage it back. would it help if i relieved the pressure in the brake lines?
Eric_Shea
would it help if i relieved the pressure in the brake lines?

No. Like it or not Rich, your rear calipers are toast. sad.gif You "may" have even pushed the piston "off" the internal adjuster mechanism which is held in by a ring clip. That "piece of wood" trick is good for the fronts but not a great idea for the rears. The spring-loaded internal adjuster mechanisms allow the piston to move about 1-2mm (which is why setting the venting clearance is so important). I'm going to bet the piston is now off the mechanism.

If you're close to Rye I can come over in the AM and fix it. biggrin.gif

Seriously, you'll probably need to yank the calipers. The thing that is holding up your pistons (prior to you blowing them off the adjuster) is years of old fluid and rust/fluid mix on the pistons. If you take the circular dust cover clips off, you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

If your dust covers and clips can withstand it, you might be able to remove the clips and then the pistons and clean them and put them back in. This would probably allow you to drive it for the remainder of the summer... otherwise, it's bit the bullet time. From the sound of where you are now... you'll probably "at least" have to do this. I'm fairly certain you've blown the piston shell off the adjusters.

Further thoughts... you may be able to get the ring clip to snap back into the piston shells internal groove with a c-clamp. Use a block of wood with an indent over the outer adjuster for the c-clamp to operate on. For the inner piston you should be able to simply c-clamp it.

Again... your rear calipers haven't been working and are basically dead. Sorry for the great news... sad.gif
nycchef
Again... your rear calipers haven't been working and are basically dead. Sorry for the great news... sad.gif

thanks eric i figured they were toast. i have another set off a parts car . i just switch that one and try to rebuild them during the winter. after i screw that up i,ll buy a set of yours for next season. beer.gif
rich
r_towle
Take off the old one and swap it.
Dont push the pistons without the pads in place and proper venting adjusted on the rears.

Send the two old Cores to Eric....get him to send you back a nice shiny set that work perfectly, you will be very happy you did.

If you end up fubar for $$$, let me know....I may have a spare you can borrow free till you sort out your issues..

Im not sure what I have left, or what side, but I have two or three cars worth of used ones, some good and some are junk.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.