Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
OK, I'm attempting to replace my oil cooler seals on my '76 2.0 in an attempt to fix my oil leak problem. The engine is out of the car, the tin is off, except the piece directly over the cooler. This piece goes all the way from the top of the oil cooler to below the pushrod tubes. I'm told this piece of tin has to go on the engine before the cylinders go on, so I'm assuming I can deal with the cooler with this piece still on the engine. I've removed the 2 13mm bolts that hold the coolers' outboard bracket to the fan shroud. I've also removed the 2 10 mm nuts on the forward side of the cooler. It isn't even loose at this point. What else do I have to do to get the oil cooler off? blink.gif
Thanks in advance,
Perplexed in Michigan
Bleyseng
There are 3 small 10mm nuts that hold the oil cooler onto the bracket. Remove those and it comes off. The tin should come off too, I don't remember any tin not being able to be pulled off because of the P&C's.
Geoff
TonyAKAVW
Having just done this myself a few weeks ago, I cannot remember a piece of engine tin that had to stay on... My engine is a 75 1.8, so maybe there is a slight diffrence but I doubt it. I took off the fan and shroud and alternator and all of that before I took the cooler out. NOt sure if you've done that yet... And yes, there are three small nuts that you have to take off and the cooler slides forward along the three studs to which these bolts attach.

One reccomendation I have is to get your cooler pressure tested. I did the seal replacement and found that it didn't help. Turns out the cooler has a leak. The manual says test to 85 lbs.

-Tony
Dave_Darling
Slide the piece of tin that's on top of the cooler upward. It should come out. The cooling flaps have to be removed for this. I don't think the fan shroud has to be off, but you want it off anyway...

The cooler has three M6 (10mm wrench size) mounting nuts, and a clamp around the outer end that bolts to the fan shroud.

--DD
Curvie Roadlover
Thank you, gentlemen, for your timely responses. I was hoping to be able to get at the oil cooler without taking the fan and shroud off, but if that's the way it must be, then at least now I know. I'll test the cooler before re-installing too.
The weather's getting nice here in SE MI. I'm anxious to get the engine back in the car and start driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.