Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A new 914 on 9-14 !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Root_Werks
Sorry guys, no new pics, I promise soon.

Car runs perfect. Putting the FI back on was a real PITA! Thanks to Rich D. for selling me the FI from his parts car and then bugging him for fuel pumps until we found one that didn't leak.

Also thanks to Jeff H. for letting me borrow his MPS. Geoff is making one for me so you'll have yours back soon.

Put in a new tinted rear window yesterday, painted the bumpers, did more de-rusting etc. The car is pretty much ready to go except for an air cleaner top. It'll be nice to drive a 914 again. driving.gif

It sounds really good, fires right up.

Oh yeah, put on my CAMP driving lights I have had sitting around for like 3 years. rolleyes.gif
sixnotfour
good news ,
I am going to storage for keys and air cleaner today .
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 3 2008, 10:18 AM) *

good news ,
I am going to storage for keys and air cleaner today .

laugh.gif

Dude, I cannot tell you how frustrated I was getting with the "Key that sort of works" getting the car started over the weekend. I was being so careful not to bend or break the key off. A delicate balance of wiggling, pulling out just a little,,,not too much etc.

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it.
Root_Werks
Pics! The running engine in and waiting to drive.
Root_Werks
Those cool CAMP914 driving lights. Notice the touch up under the front bumper area. Cleaned up anything that even hinted it could ever BE rust and slathered it. Heck, I'm so close, the rear wheels are on!
Root_Werks
Bumpers painted, still a little fresh.
Root_Werks
Cool driving light grills painted as well.
PeeGreen 914
Looking good Dan. I can't wait to see it on the road. piratenanner.gif
Root_Werks
Pretty much done with the 914 now. I went to put the engine lid back on and forgot about the rear latch thingie that was broken. PO used screws, it worked, but I went for welding it back on.
Root_Werks
All bumpers and valances back on. Spent time today putting interior back in.
Root_Werks
Just before the engine lid was re-installed.
Root_Werks
Interior back together finally. Couple of loose ends, the wipers didn't work, driving lights dead etc, etc. Mostly stuff from the car sitting for 10 years. I had forgotten that I haven't driven the car yet. Jeff drove it over and I started working on it the following week. So I have to work out all the bugs that go with a car that's been sitting for a decade still.

Still, it runs and drives great. I won't drive it much until I get my 2.0 ECU from my evil-Bay auction. You can tell it is running a little lean. The AAR doesn't work either. I had to cap it to get the idle down.

Little things. But it's fixed (Rust) and complete again. I'll try to take a money shot later this week.

driving.gif
jc914
Great work it all look nice. Congrats smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif
sixnotfour
Dan, great to see it road ready, there's more were that came from, with less rust. think 1.8 for real MPG idea.gif stirthepot.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 11 2008, 08:16 PM) *

Dan, great to see it road ready, there's more were that came from, with less rust. think 1.8 for real MPG idea.gif stirthepot.gif

idea.gif

Well, this one would be ready for the sale block now for sure... You talking about the white one?
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif You guys kill me. Are you trying to own every 914 out there at some point in your life laugh.gif

Looks very nice Dan aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
yup, white /yellow/white/green is the sales order
carr914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Nov 12 2008, 12:48 PM) *

av-943.gif You guys kill me. Are you trying to own every 914 out there at some point in your life laugh.gif

Looks very nice Dan aktion035.gif

I'm trying to own all the one's in the East.

Let's see I've bought 914s from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Washington, & Sweden.

T.C.
effutuo101
I wish I could afford the sorta lime green car. Now that would be something.
OU8AVW
Fatastic Thread!
I learned allot.
Thank you!
Root_Werks
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Nov 12 2008, 12:17 PM) *

Fatastic Thread!
I learned allot.
Thank you!

Most welcome. There are a ton of threads on repairs and builds of owners 914's. I normally wouldn't do one on a 914-4 staying mostly stock, but I figure I would really like to drive the heck out of this one daily for a while. It has SSI's on it and I was able to drive around yesterday with the top down and was fine even though it was cold out. I just picked up some speakers today for the stock speaker pods so now I'll have tunes! driving.gif

The only reason I am not driving it daily yet is that I have an early ECU. Once my late 2.0 ECU shows up, I'll plug it in and drive! I'll post more photos when that happens.
driving.gif
sixnotfour
Let's see I've bought 914s from Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Washington, & Sweden.

TC,
I have owned your blue car that was a six converted it to a four sold it to my buddy and he reconverted it to the 2.5 six.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 12 2008, 05:26 PM) *

TC,
I have owned your blue car that was a six converted it to a four sold it to my buddy and he reconverted it to the 2.5 six.

Soooooooo, Jeff can be connected to every 914 in five 914's or less? av-943.gif
championgt1
av-943.gif

Looking good!!
Root_Werks
Wife comes home last night and I am tinkering in the garage on the purple car:

Wife “Watcha’ doing?”

“Just tinkering, hey let's take the purple car for a short drive and grab some dinner.” (Really nice out)

“Sure”

We settle in and start off down the neighborhood. I am explaining to her about my super awesome stainless steel heater boxes since all VW based air cooled cars heaters really never work, mine do! Just pulled onto the main drag that goes around the lake as I reach down to pull the little heater lever up I utter those famous little words:

“Watch this!”

No sooner do I pull the little lever up and glorious heat starts to fill the cabin area the car dies.

As I am pushing the car to the shoulder my wife is asking what is the matter with it?

“It’s easy!”

Wound up being a simple fuse, but oh boy I cracked myself up. I couldn’t believe I actually said “Watch this!” and then have the car die.

laugh.gif
KELTY360
av-943.gif

I thought "Watch this" was supposed to be preceded by "Here, hold my beer". beer.gif
messix
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 14 2008, 07:49 AM) *

Wife comes home last night and I am tinkering in the garage on the purple car:

Wife “Watcha’ doing?”

“Just tinkering, hey let's take the purple car for a short drive and grab some dinner.” (Really nice out)

“Sure”

We settle in and start off down the neighborhood. I am explaining to her about my super awesome stainless steel heater boxes since all VW based air cooled cars heaters really never work, mine do! Just pulled onto the main drag that goes around the lake as I reach down to pull the little heater lever up I utter those famous little words:

“Watch this!”

No sooner do I pull the little lever up and glorious heat starts to fill the cabin area the car dies.

As I am pushing the car to the shoulder my wife is asking what is the matter with it?

“It’s easy!”

Wound up being a simple fuse, but oh boy I cracked myself up. I couldn’t believe I actually said “Watch this!” and then have the car die.

laugh.gif

i can just see the look on her face...... dry.gif av-943.gif
TravisNeff
Classic!
carr914
Watch This! av-943.gif av-943.gif

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 12 2008, 08:26 PM) *

TC,

Here is your old car today, Dan won't mind the minor hijack since it used to be his as well.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
drooley.gif Dam I miss that 914. sad.gif

It looks great T.C. and glad you wound up with it. Even after all the stiffening I have done to the purple 914 I have now, it's not even close to having the closed roof.

I love the rims!
PeeGreen 914
I have always liked that car but wow those rims make it look amazing.

Can I have them biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Hi T.C. bye1.gif
carr914
Thanks Jon and Happy Birthday.

I'm hoping the car will be in the Paint Booth before the end of the year.

T.C.
Root_Werks
Almost there (I keep saying that). I spent mucho many hours re-keying everything except the glove box and front trunk locks. It was a mess of little tumbler waffers and spare door handles etc everywhere for a couple of days. Jeff never could find the key so I took one I had and modified it a little. Then played musical waffers until I got a perfect match. PITA, but I guess my locks have been keyed as new sort of since the key I have (Worn) is new to the waffers. Got both doors, rear trunk and ignition.

I also got my late (75-76) 2.0FI ECU last night and put that on with an 043MPS. I wasn't really impressed. It isn't running 100% for sure when driving. It also won't idle down. I am thinking I am still running too lean. Smooth lower revs, nothing up top, won't idle down. All the signs are there of running lean with the exception of poping. I could also have gummed up injectors. I spaced getting them cleaned before running the engine.

I'll get pics up. I plan on going home hopefully before dark today and doing some more tuning.
rhodyguy
do you want to try a 74' ECU? which 043 did you try? epoxy or no epoxy?

k

Root_Werks
The Epoxy one last night. For testing, I still have Jeff H's 049 MPS which IS for a 76' 052 ECU and know it works. I'll probably pop that back in today just to get a baseline. According to the charts on rennlist (D-Jet charts) an 043 should be okay with 74' and up 2.0 ECU's.

Maybe not though?

The epoxied one could be bad? confused24.gif

It ran and drove fine last night, just was really down on power.
messix
uuuhhhhmmmm.....L-JET!!!!!!!!!!

you'd be done 2 weeks ago! slap.gif
Root_Werks
Driving it now! It made the 30.4 mile drive to work this morning. Did rather well. I goofed up on setting the timing so I'll have to go back and tweak that a little.
Root_Werks
I have a set of factory Mahles for it. I just need to source a couple of 205/60/15 tires. I'm pretty much out of play money until Christmas is over so I'll be looking for tire deals.
PeeGreen 914
idea.gif I know where that parking lot is happy11.gif

Good to see it out on the road Dan. aktion035.gif
effutuo101
drunk.gif
many long hours of work and now driving it! way cool Dan!
carr914
Glad it's up and driving. Good Job Dan

T.C.
Root_Werks
Thanks guys. What you cannot really see in the pictures are the little things still wrong with it. Cracks in the windshield, both little side markers have the mounting tabs broken. Little things.

Drive home last night was good, but bad. Rained like crazy! Hard rain. 914 did well though. Dang lucky I got the wipers working. Heater kept things clear and the fresh air blower kept it from getting too hot. Other than my not having the FI/Timing 100% yet (stop and go was a little anoying) it did well.

driving.gif
KELTY360
All right Dan. Back in the saddle! Just in time for the soggy season.

Dontcha just love peering through the fog of road spray to see the bumpers and taillights above you?

piratenanner.gif
Root_Werks
Brings up a good point. I installed a tinted safety glass for the rear window and man I love it! Really cuts down on the headlights giving the back of my neck a tan. laugh.gif

This weekend I'll be working on shoring up some of the little stuff. Anyone local got some good side markers? Man, I must have tossed a dozen out over my life so far. rolleyes.gif
Zaney
Dan,
I just sold my amber side markers off about a week ago. Sorry.
Your car looks great!
Post your needs list and I am sure the PNW folks can hook you up!
beerchug.gif Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.