Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A new 914 on 9-14 !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Root_Werks
Picked this one up from Jeff on the site. Color changed car, cool color though. I think it's a factory color? I had a 1968 911L that I swear was exactly the same color as this.

1974 2.0 with really little dual carbs.
Root_Werks
This car hasn't been on the road since 1998. It needs a lot, brakes, engine/trans pulled, hell hole etc. But hey, it's what I can afford and overall in good shape. I can't wait to get started.
jc914
welcome.png
carr914
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

Dan, I knew it wouldn't take too long. Keep us updated.

T.C.
rick 918-S
thumb3d.gif
r_towle
What carbs are on there and what are your plans for the carbs?
JOEM here is looking for some small carbs for a 1.7....
He may go to FI, but like all of us he is looking for the cheapest route to driving his car...

Rich
rjames
Welcome back, Dan (not that you really ever left). biggrin.gif Looking forward to watching the progress! beer.gif
Todd Enlund
Sweet!

There is a guy here in PDX parting out a 944... sawzall-smiley.gif poke.gif

If you can make arrangements, I can bring the roof up this Sunday biggrin.gif
JRust
Hey dan here are some piics of the flares I asked you about biggrin.gif
TC 914-8
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 18 2008, 01:16 PM) *

This car hasn't been on the road since 1998. It needs a lot, brakes, engine/trans pulled, hell hole etc. But hey, it's what I can afford and overall in good shape. I can't wait to get started.

Hey Dan, Good luck, I figure it's a blank canvas and the artist, smash.gif , will soon be creating a masterpeice. or at least some form of art work.

What's the 6 in the bottom of the picture for? Is it part of the Craig deal?

Good call on the flasher relay, That did the trick.

You are the man !!!!!

hope to see you and Michelle crusin in the 914 soon. Is 9.14 weeks, months, too soon ?

Tony
greenie
74 2.0 L nice car!

How long were you teenerless Dan? Couldn't have been more than a couple of months?

Welcome to the fourbanger club! smilie_pokal.gif , just don't forget to much about the sixes , I'm gonna need your help.

PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif
Root_Werks
I was out of a 914 for about a month total. Doing a bunch of side Porsche jobs and getting a good deal from Jeff H(Sixnotfour) allowed me to obtain said 914. biggrin.gif

The carbs are pretty much brand new and are 34's I believe. Little small for a 2.0. I will go back to FI at some point but would certianly entertain swapping around carbs for someone if these will work better or even just sell them. They seem to run great so I think it'd be a bolt on, tune and go affair.

Still gotta finish up the Duc 914-6 project. We've been out of town for a couple of days so time to get back to work this weekend. More pics to follow!

driving.gif

BTW - Thanks Jeff, I teased him about not being able to get deliver or me pick up the car on 9-14. He called I think around 10:45PM saying he was on his way. Hah! Too funny! He made it with I think 25 minutes to spare. It was cool! driving.gif aktion035.gif
jim_hoyland
aktion035.gif Congrats Dan ! Looking forward to following this project.
sixnotfour
you mentioned a gauge package ?
BTW did I give you the correct Title ?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 2 2008, 09:18 PM) *

you mentioned a gauge package ?
BTW did I give you the correct Title ?

That looks cool aktion035.gif
Root_Werks
Jeff, yup, got it all transfered over on Wednesday.

Well, money would say leave the car mostly alone. I have a set of dual Solex 40's from a 912 with correct manifolds. The little ICT's are gone. If I can actually refrian for just a moment biggrin.gif Put things back together I can just drive it for a while and actually enjoy the car. driving.gif

Once Duc's 914 is out of the garage, I'll get cranking on this one and post pics.

Tony - The engine in the picture above is Duc's 3.2 for his yellow 914 in another thread. wink.gif

I keep eyeballing the Rover 3.5/215 V8 thread. Dangit! Gotta stop doing that. biggrin.gif
effutuo101
I love that color. I am glad you are back in the game Dan!
Root_Werks
Power plant out...
Root_Werks
Sweet custom battery tray and hell hole repair. Lots of tar and glob welding.
Root_Werks
Assume the position! bootyshake.gif
Root_Werks
Out with the previous fix... icon8.gif
Root_Werks
Cut out a bunch of the long, just kept and kept cutting out the rust. Pretty much a see-through frame system now. biggrin.gif dry.gif
Root_Werks
Look, you can see right through! w00t.gif
Root_Werks
Got all soft stuff cut out. This week starts up the welder.gif
sixnotfour
Dan, your a real cut up . good work .
Root_Werks
Thanks! biggrin.gif It won't take me long to get this all squared away. I already have an Engman inner long kit I'll install at the same time as well.

First things first, I gotta get my tank exchanged on the welder. The Duc project used up the last little bit that was in there. More progress photos to come this week hopefully.
watsonrx13
Dan, when you're cutting small sections of the longs out, do you use the door braces?

-- Rob
Root_Werks
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 13 2008, 03:34 AM) *

Dan, when you're cutting small sections of the longs out, do you use the door braces?

-- Rob

I didn't this time (I personally don't have any) and just used a threaded jackstand in the center part of the long.

Oddly, while I had to cut out material on top and bottom just behind the jack post, the jack post is totally solid. huh.gif

The door lines up and closes/opens easily so I think I'm okay. Any more cut out and I probably would have taken the door off and made something.
Root_Werks
Using 2 different gauge steels, this one is for a patch in the floor pan.
Root_Werks
It'll go somewhere around..... here. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
It may not be pretty, but all the cancer around here is gone and it's really strong now.
Root_Werks
I still have much to do inside the engine/hell hole area. My welds got a little bloby, got tired. Might grind out a little of it.... eh, probably not. It's sealed and strong. welder.gif
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
Hey dan here are some piics of the flares I asked you about

Flares with lips on them? confused24.gif

Congrats Dan... I need you to come to SLC to do some welding. Looks like something you can whip out in an afternoon! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 14 2008, 10:22 PM) *

Hey dan here are some piics of the flares I asked you about

Flares with lips on them? confused24.gif

Congrats Dan... I need you to come to SLC to do some welding. Looks like something you can whip out in an afternoon! biggrin.gif

That was a thread hijack. Someone wanted me to weld on some flares. Never did hear back from him. idea.gif He just threw up some pics.

This car won't be flared or steel topped. Just don't have the money for it right now. Maybe later though? idea.gif This is a perfect 914 for modifying. Not so original, but still solid.
effutuo101
Good work Dan!
I am beginning to think that all 914's get purchased below the 20k price (and even then some), go home, go on jackstands, get welded on and then driven.
Root_Werks
Oh my freakin rust-o-messy-rust-flakes! All done! biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
The easy side. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
The Engman kit is installed as well. I personally think ALL 914's should have this kit installed that are to remain open top cars or cars that will not have full roll cages.

welder.gif
Tom
Nice work Dan. Hope to see that car next year over at the AX's.
Tom
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 20 2008, 09:52 PM) *

Nice work Dan. Hope to see that car next year over at the AX's.
Tom

agree.gif You and your wife need to make it out. It would be great to see you guys.
pete-stevers
lookin mighty fine danny boy!!!!
when your ready...i am rolling harlot to your shop for some flares
Root_Werks
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 21 2008, 02:52 PM) *

lookin mighty fine danny boy!!!!
when your ready...i am rolling harlot to your shop for some flares

Give me a little more time and yeah, we'll welder.gif get your 914 done!
Root_Werks
There is a lot that was done this weekend. Brakes are all working (car sat for 10 years), engine/trans hung. I wound up picking up a FI setup from Rich locally so I am setting the 914 back up for that. Front/rear valances on.
Root_Werks
I welded up holes in the bumpers today and am prepping those for paint. Should have bumpers back on in a few days.

Had to free up ALL e-brake stuff. Ugh, sitting for a decade doesn't help. Works perfect now.
JRust
Looking good Dan! A couple more weekends & you'll be on the road. Be nice to drive a teener again heh? Keep up the good work & thanks again for your help this weekend biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Worked on it pretty late last night and got everything all hooked up. Tossed in a battery and the fuel pump actually primed like it should. w00t.gif I worked the key and let it prime a few times, no leaks, another yeah since the first couple of FI pumps did leak. Thanks to Rich D. for letting me come over and snag the one off his parts car, guess we should have just grabbed that one with the original FI stuff anyway.

Battery wound up being way too dead to turn over the engine. I have it at work with me on a charger.

So no more carbs, FI off of Rich's 76' 2.0 parts car. I did buy a new CHT and fuel pressure regulator. Hopefully things like the injectors are still good. I'll wait until after I get the car fired off, but I'll replace all other sensors, the TPS and injector points. Another $300 in parts, but it'll be worth it. I am hoping to keep just above that 30mpg mark.

Oh yeah, off with the rivs and on with the Mahles! Picked up a set of 5 from Rich's parts car as well.

Starting to get excited about driving a teener again! driving.gif Maybe this weekend? boldblue.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 31 2008, 12:12 PM) *

Worked on it pretty late last night and got everything all hooked up. Tossed in a battery and the fuel pump actually primed like it should. w00t.gif I worked the key and let it prime a few times, no leaks, another yeah since the first couple of FI pumps did leak. Thanks to Rich D. for letting me come over and snag the one off his parts car, guess we should have just grabbed that one with the original FI stuff anyway.

Battery wound up being way too dead to turn over the engine. I have it at work with me on a charger.

So no more carbs, FI off of Rich's 76' 2.0 parts car. I did buy a new CHT and fuel pressure regulator. Hopefully things like the injectors are still good. I'll wait until after I get the car fired off, but I'll replace all other sensors, the TPS and injector points. Another $300 in parts, but it'll be worth it. I am hoping to keep just above that 30mpg mark.

Oh yeah, off with the rivs and on with the Mahles! Picked up a set of 5 from Rich's parts car as well.

Starting to get excited about driving a teener again! driving.gif Maybe this weekend? boldblue.gif

What did you do with the carbs, what size are they, and would you sell them?
JOEM here needs a set of carbs...he has an old set of webers that I think are past rebuilding...seems to be a few casting issues and reamed out threads that make it damn near impossible to make them work....
He would like a smaller set anyways.

Rich
Root_Werks
They are Solex P11-4's and in VERY good shape. They were taken appart and cleaned by an aircraft mechanic but not completely re-assembled. I got most of both back together-preset one of the floats etc. Shafts are tight, NO wear on the throats where the butterflies touch at all. Jetted for a 100hp 912 motor.

I have Brand new K&N's, linkage and manifolds for 2.0 or 1.7-1.8 Type 4. PM me if interested. Need a little finishing up which I could do if you like. I also have a good parts list/diagram.

40mm with 32 vents, 1.1's and .07's I believe? Should be just about right for a 2.0 engine. 1.8 or 1.7 might be a little much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.