Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OE fog lamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justdrive914
Ok, I have my old fog lamps and the glass is really ruff looking, has a lot of rock chips small ones. So is it best to try and get the stone marks out is that possible, or should i just get some new ones? What is the best new brand to get?
Eric_Shea
For me... $33.00 (not sure if that's still the price) each is cheap vs. all the polishing etc. that will never look right. You'll spend hours if not days trying to get them right.

Buy them from our friendly Glenn at Pelican Parts.
scotty
they won't be original/correct... you'll open yourself up to endless ridicule by people who know (see 911 v 356) chair.gif

Buy some from Pelican (or other aftermarket).
dw914er
Pretty soon im gonna try to polish my fogs. I did my headlight for my acura when I modifed the housing, and it turned out great.
justdrive914
Yeah so im going to try and find some euro fogs i think i know a guy who has a few sets now that i think of it. and or go after market, plus the us fogs suck with the lighting anyways i want the sun to be out when im driving at night.

As to those 356 911 guys its my car I do whatever the hell I want to it. Ever seen those top gear guys with that 911? and the wreck it into shit on purpose... that even hurt me.. think its on you tube
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(justdrive914 @ Sep 22 2008, 06:02 PM) *

Ok, I have my old fog lamps and the glass is really ruff looking, has a lot of rock chips small ones. So is it best to try and get the stone marks out is that possible, or should i just get some new ones? What is the best new brand to get?

OK, you got my curiosity up!

Are you only concerned with lenses, or the bodies too?

I have some new lenses, but I'll only let them go to a CW. Are you one?
Pat
justdrive914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 22 2008, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(justdrive914 @ Sep 22 2008, 06:02 PM) *

OK, you got my curiosity up!

Are you only concerned with lenses, or the bodies too?

I have some new lenses, but I'll only let them go to a CW. Are you one?
Pat

Pat what is CW and please don't think im stupid for asking! anyways i suppose i'll let you know..
Thanks andrew
Jeffs9146
Easy Auto Wreckers in Emeryville, Ca has a guy who does a nice update to the lense and bulb on the factory light! It looks good and functions great!
You can see them here!
Jeffs9146
another
ericread
Do you know what the "Auto Wreckers" setup has done voltage wise? I'd like to increase my beam efficiency, but I'm wary of any significant voltage/wattage increase on my 35 year old wiring harness.

Thanks.

Eric Read wavey.gif
Jeffs9146
I think they were increased to 150w bulbs with narowed beam reflectors inside!

PS: They recomended a new power wire with a relay due to the increased load.
Mark Henry
Do a search on "Pilot lights"

CW means "concours weenies" anally retentive people that will tell you that a nut is a 1/8th turn off of the correct orientation from the factory so it's not correct.

Cap'n Krusty
The placement of the fog lamps is low, as fog lights are supposed to be. They're linked to the low beam circuit because that's the DOT reg. Using low mounted lights as driving lights, i.e. narrow focused, high wattage beams, is pretty much a waste of effort, as they can't possibly be of any use down there. Furthermore, it's been proven in scientific testing that using your fog lights as "fill-in" when there's no fog out there actually significantly REDUCES your overall night vision, especially at distance, which is where you really need to see. Driving lights mounted down there would only make the situation worse. Loss of lighting effectiveness at speed is called "overdriving your lights". Besides, people who use their fog lights when there's no fog PISS ME OFF. Trendy drivers tend to do this, mostly because they're moronic lemmings.

The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
They are not pointed up! dry.gif

They just extend the beam brighter and a bit farther over the surface of the road!

The old ones don't give off enough light for anything, at least my old ones didn't! driving.gif
justdrive914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 25 2008, 11:09 AM) *

The placement of the fog lamps is low, as fog lights are supposed to be. They're linked to the low beam circuit because that's the DOT reg. Using low mounted lights as driving lights, i.e. narrow focused, high wattage beams, is pretty much a waste of effort, as they can't possibly be of any use down there. Furthermore, it's been proven in scientific testing that using your fog lights as "fill-in" when there's no fog out there actually significantly REDUCES your overall night vision, especially at distance, which is where you really need to see. Driving lights mounted down there would only make the situation worse. Loss of lighting effectiveness at speed is called "overdriving your lights". Besides, people who use their fog lights when there's no fog PISS ME OFF. Trendy drivers tend to do this, mostly because they're moronic lemmings.

The Cap'n

Trendy people piss me off too! I want to get bright lights just so I can shine them in there mirror and watch them wreck there trendy ass cars! good point with the lights I just need a replacement because mine are gone now.
Katmanken
I had a friend who used to fix annoying trendy drivers as he drove home from work at the cape.

He mounted a capacitor bank from a flash in the car, and aimed the bulb out the rear window and hung the little red LED in the rear window.

Some jerk starts riding his ass with lights blazing and he would hit the switch on the dash.

You could see the LED click on, and hear the cap bank charging and FWOOSH!

The flash went off.

The jerk usually stayed back after that.

Ken
number6
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 25 2008, 12:09 PM) *

The Cap'n

Wow, good stuff. I've always been surprised to experience the reduced effectiveness w/ my driving lights on (they came on the car instead of OEM fog lights). People always tell me I'm crazy when I make this observation. Crazy I still may be, but at least now I know my vision isn't impaired.

The morons who drive with fog lights on...why is it that they are always in a Lexus, with those ANNOYING yellow fogs? Argghhhh!!!!

On a positive note, I've been encountering more and more considerate truck and SUV drivers who turn their lights off when behind me at a stop light. Restores my faith in humanity. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.