Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: throttle cable issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
I just got a new throttle cable and while tightening the nut on the threaded end (at engine) the threded part broke, it left me enough so I could do it again and it broke again?
I am talking about the end that is at the engine, its threaded and the cable runs through it. Any ideas?
I got it from Pelican and am asking for an exchange.
Matt
ChrisFoley
I never heard of that end failing. It should have a nut on both sides to hold it securely to the bracket and be somewhat adjustable. The nuts only need to be tight enough to keep the sheath from moving about. A lock washer on one side is sufficient to prevent loosening.
Under these conditions, if the threaded end of the cable breaks, it is certainly defective.

BTW, IIRC you had a rear main seal leakage problem. What happened with that?
Zundfolge
I just installed a new throttle cable today and had the same thing happen. The nut that holds the casing of the throttle cable in place is just too damn easy to over tighten and shear off. I had to use a dremel to cut off the broken piece and then drilled out the one off the old cable so it would slide over the metal piece that hooks to the carb linkage.

The cable I replaced is one I bought from Pelican 3 months ago (which broke at the pedal end) I've come to the conclusion that the cables they're selling are crap. The new cable feels like it takes about 1/3rd the pressure on the pedal so there was clearly something wrong with the old one.

Whenever I have to replace this cable again I'm going to try to find another vendor ... or I'll spring for the expensive "Terry Cable" they also sell ... maybe its better made.
PeeGreen 914
You don't need to buy another type of cable. The other would have been fine if you just didn't over tighten. It is easy to do for those who just are too strong for their own good. biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
I have seen some of the newer cables to be thin in this area. teh Terry brand does not exibit this flaw
blitZ
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Sep 28 2008, 09:06 PM) *

Whenever I have to replace this cable again I'm going to try to find another vendor ... or I'll spring for the expensive "Terry Cable" they also sell ... maybe its better made.

I bought a cheap cable and had the thread breaking problem. I replaced it with a Terry Cable, much more solid.
mattp
I would have thought it was a case of not knowing my own strength but it wasnt even halfway when it broke! then it broke again!!
it also seemd to be slightly thinner than the old cable's end.

As for my oil leak, yes I found it, it was one of the galley plugs, it was tight enough that when the engine was not running it showed no sign of being loose or of leakage but as pressure built up it would leak, what a PITA that was.

I was watching a show yesterday where two mechanics built an engine in under 12 minutes (yes it ran) I cammented to my wife that at the rate I amgoing its going to be close to a year!!

next step, reorder throttle cable, install, then balance carbs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.