Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling hubs into rear bearings...need some advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I've been converting my project car from 4 to five lug and have run into a snag. After installing new bearings in the rear, I attempted to draw the rear hubs into the bearing using the tool below. No matter how careful I am, the hub starts to go in crooked so I stop, not wanting to force it it.

So what's the trick to getting these puppies started straight? It seemed like an easy enough task.

I do have the rear arms mounted, thinking it would be better held in place. Would pulling the arms and having the laying flat be any better.
Thanks
roadster fan
Hey Mark,

You have the right idea on the tool. Is that socket large enough to rest on the bearing on the back side while you draw the hub in? Seems to me when I did this the socket was bigger.

Also the hub will try to tilt initially as it tries t start. I snugged it down and tapped on it with a dead blow on the "high" side while turning the wrench. Started going in straight then it is easy.

The job is no easier with the arm out of the car either. Patience will pay off, maybe a helper to get it started.

Jim
computers4kids
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Sep 28 2008, 10:06 PM) *

Hey Mark,

You have the right idea on the tool. Is that socket large enough to rest on the bearing on the back side while you draw the hub in? Seems to me when I did this the socket was bigger.

Also the hub will try to tilt initially as it tries t start. I snugged it down and tapped on it with a dead blow on the "high" side while turning the wrench. Started going in straight then it is easy.

The job is no easier with the arm out of the car either. Patience will pay off, maybe a helper to get it started.

Jim

Hi Jim...actually my setup uses all thread and uses a 2 inch socket that rests on the inner bearing race. I was afraid to force it in...destroying the bearing. Maybe another day with a fresh start.

Thanks for the tips!
Eric_Shea
Spin it. Find the high side.

Lightly Tap-tap with a rubber mallet to even it out.

Tighten the nut again.

Repeat.

After you get it started it begins to pull right in.

You'll know when it's on the way.
sww914
I freeze the hubs and warm up the inner races to about 90-100 degrees and I use anti-seize on the parts that I want to slide. The last 2 sets that I did I was able to push them in by hand almost all the way.
zambezi
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 29 2008, 12:38 AM) *

I freeze the hubs and warm up the inner races to about 90-100 degrees and I use anti-seize on the parts that I want to slide. The last 2 sets that I did I was able to push them in by hand almost all the way.

+1 on freezing the axle shaft. A night in the freezer does wonders for the interferance fit of the two parts.
JIM
computers4kids
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 28 2008, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 28 2008, 10:48 PM) *

+1 on freezing the axle shaft. A night in the freezer does wonders for the interferance fit of the two parts.
JIM

Well, the hubs are in the freezer next to the pot pies av-943.gif . I think I'll try to heat the inner races as well...if I can just get then started straight, I'm sure the rest will follow more easily.

Thanks!
URY914
I always freeze my hubs.
sww914
What kind of Pot Pies? It's very important not to put the hubs too close to any chicken pot pies. Beef and turkey are fine.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 28 2008, 10:48 PM) *

JIM

Why would you freeze the axle shaft? It's a slip fit into the hub ...........

The Cap'n
Phoenix-MN
Looks like the hubs have been plated, is the bearing surface clean on the hub?(down to the original surface)

The added thickness of plating will cause a problem.

Just a thought
r_towle
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 29 2008, 01:48 AM) *

JIM

Is that why I fit in the car better in the winter than in the summer????

Rich
roadster fan
That's a good point. The machined surfaces if plated will cause problems. It is hard to tell in the photo if the part circled is plated. If it is, it will need to be machined off.

Jim
computers4kids
This picture is not my hub--just used because it is the same setup that I have...I have a clean mating surface on my hubs, no paint or plating.

Now, if I can get them out of the freezer and to the garage without my wife spotting me. At least they're not greasy...
jim_hoyland
When I did mine, the side I heated with the map gas went in easier. Froze the bearing first too.
Lou W
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 29 2008, 07:11 PM) *

When I did mine, the side I heated with the map gas went in easier. Froze the bearing first too.

agree.gif Add a little DiGiorno, it"ll help.
sww914
If your wife grows accustomed to hubs in the freezer and maybe grease rags in the washing machine it will make it easier when she comes home early to bust you with an engine case in the dishwasher.
computers4kids
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 29 2008, 08:33 AM) *

What kind of Pot Pies? It's very important not to put the hubs too close to any chicken pot pies. Beef and turkey are fine.

The pot pies, I mean the freezer, did the trick! Hubs pulled right in...yeah! Also unscrewed the ends out of the steering rack...ready for the turbo kit.
roadster fan
Way to go Mark, glad it worked out for you. When will the pot pies be ready, i'm hungry biggrin.gif

Jim
sww914
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif aktion035.gif drunk.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
Derek Seymour
Hey Mark did you use a torch as well or just the tool and the freezer trick?

My hubs were next to some tikka masala from Trader Joes, but I wasn't sure this would do help so I moved them into an empty ice tray across from the frozen chicken.. maybe I should get some Braunschweiger and throw that in.. since it's spreadable and all...
computers4kids
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Jul 17 2009, 12:34 PM) *

My hubs were next to some tikka masala from Trader Joes, but I wasn't sure this would do help so I moved them into an empty ice tray across from the frozen chicken.. maybe I should get some Braunschweiger and throw that in.. since it's spreadable and all...

Use "swanson" pot pies only... biggrin.gif Just freezing the bearings worked great for me. Just pull out one bearing at a time out of the freezer. Torching the hubs probably would help, but no personal experience. In my case the freezer was the trick.
Justinp71
I was also told that you should put some oil between the surfaces, because when the parts go back to the normal temps you'll trap some condensation in there...
Borderline
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 17 2009, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Jul 17 2009, 12:34 PM) *

Use "swanson" pot pies only... biggrin.gif Just freezing the bearings worked great for me. Just pull out one bearing at a time out of the freezer. Torching the hubs probably would help, but no personal experience. In my case the freezer was the trick.

Did you thaw them out in the microwave before using?
jmill
QUOTE(sww914 @ Sep 29 2008, 11:54 PM) *

If your wife grows accustomed to hubs in the freezer and maybe grease rags in the washing machine it will make it easier when she comes home early to bust you with an engine case in the dishwasher.

av-943.gif The wife came home early when I was heating up a cam gear on the stove in a pot of 30 weight. I still have the pot in the garage. I never could get the oil stains out of it. Took a few days to get the smell out of the kitchen.
r_towle
you need the right type of oil....
IronHillRestorations
I use a white scotchbrite disc on a roloc to polish the bearing and hub races, it helps.

Marie Calendar make the best chicken pot pies
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.