Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you have for chassis stiffening?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Ricard
Raced in the little pond yesterday. PCA had an event that was supported by our / My Gulf Coast SCCA region.

Drove my buddies box stock Miata amongst the 09 Carrera S, New Caymen S and some other really nice cars.

Smoked em, like shooting fish in a barrel. Bunch of nice people that all got an invite to our next event.

Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 12 2009, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 12 2009, 05:01 PM) *

It doesn't take an engineering degree to see where the points of load are on a 914......hint....there are 4 and round black things right near em'.
Once that tough bit is over, then you gotta figure out where you can attach structure & how to bridge between them.

As Brit wrote, a butt dyno reveals a huge difference. The chassis moves more like a single unit and the suspension does it's work in a more controlled manner.
This causes the car do the same thing every time when loaded....or close enuff. biggrin.gif

BTW, there is closer to 60 lbs than 20 lbs extra. Bridges aren't light.

I've took JP's approach on adding front and rear bars tied in front to the shock towers, then to the front torsion bar mounting. In the back we have run the bars as close to the towers as possible, although not as nice as JP did it.

Can't wait to see the performance difference. Who knows, with a clear head, the car might be competitive.

Update:

Having gone pretty much all out I believe using (essentially) a cage from the front torsion bars to the front shock towers, then back from there to the cockpit cage and back from there to the rear shock towers plus bars in the cockpit to the engine hump, all make a huge difference. In addition reinforced ears with alumimum standoffs to the firewall and Foley reinforced trailing arms, with needle bearings really work.

Reinforcing the ears is simply a requirement if your going to run big slicks, as the sheet metal won't hold up otherwise. In fact I broke mine my first time to the track.

Anyway the car not only does what you want it to do it has lost any tendency to snap spin under extreme situations. But some of that has to be credited to the tires and tire setup, which is another subject.

And you can buy this chassis if you'd like. idea.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 14 2009, 09:52 AM) *

Raced in the little pond yesterday. PCA had an event that was supported by our / My Gulf Coast SCCA region.

Drove my buddies box stock Miata amongst the 09 Carrera S, New Caymen S and some other really nice cars.

Smoked em, like shooting fish in a barrel. Bunch of nice people that all got an invite to our next event.

Amazing how well a Miata handles, isn't it.

Anyway nice going Joe... You ought to offer to drive their cars next time. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Geeze I was reading this thinking wtf did I do? Man that was a long time ago.

The snap oversteer I think is less now because you took some of the "spring" out of the chassis. I noticed the same thing in my old car, just point it in and it went exactly where I wanted.
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 1 2014, 04:53 AM) *

Geeze I was reading this thinking wtf did I do? Man that was a long time ago.

The snap oversteer I think is less now because you took some of the "spring" out of the chassis. I noticed the same thing in my old car, just point it in and it went exactly where I wanted.

Right, there is a video, of the Medford Spring Enduro from last year on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XTxvcpka5w

At about 1:06 you see me enter a corner a bit fast, with a poor line, coming off the straight. Check how far the car rotated and then came back with a simple off throttle steering correction. Somewhat unusual for a 914, hey?

I agree with you that the stiffer chassis does help as well.
smokey
My
Lilbasterd
Gets much stiffer wen chancing any Porsche car. Aft smoking it . She porscheeeee .always wants to rest , and it smokes a bit .
Hee he,,,,,,,,,,

smoke.gif
ThePaintedMan
Dafuq?
Bullethead
How did this thread get reanimated? Last post was 1/6/2015. poke.gif
d914
egman inner longs
tangering racing rear console support with bolt in bars, reinforced suspension ears. plate steel swing arm brackets.

cage if I start tracking car. I like the gt one but not sure how much that does.

mlindner
I had a full roll bar cage for many years. The last upgrade while building the 914-6 GT Tribute I extended to all suspension points.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
brant
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 1 2023, 03:35 PM) *

I had a full roll bar cage for many years. The last upgrade while building the 914-6 GT Tribute I extended to all suspension points.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Nice work
The problem is that it’s not legal in some rules depending on class for wheel to wheel racing
mlindner
Thanks brant. Was not intended for full racing. DE's, hill climbs etc. I'm 76 so I'm just having fun. Best, Mark
Charles Freeborn
A 911 I'd be concerned about straying too far from the rulebook, but a 914 not so much. Yes, if you're wanting to race beyond regional, there may be some other drivers who protest your car, but, well, there's going to be one in every crowd no matter where you go. Smaller sanctioning bodies care less and less about minutiae and more about simply getting entries. I say build it to your taste and needs and go have fun.
brant
We learned a lot about rules during the build.
so build the chassis to be legal in HMSA, stock SVRA, CSRG, CVAR, etc.....

I've run in all of those clubs including the local RMVR that probably wouldn't care.
but gave me options to see any club or track that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.