Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr Evil...problem with shift rod on 73 tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
Dr. Evil,
I have a 73 tranny in the 74 that has two problems.
The socket head cone screw is stripped (most likely the previous nut ball used a SAE instead of a metric allen). I would like to remove it and maybe replace it with the next size up. Not sure how to do this without damaging it.

Also, the pin (where the coupler bushings go) on the other end is rusted and has become "one with the rod." I was thinking of soaking it in blaster and try to press it out. It looks like its going to break. May have to drill it out. Do you know the correct diameter of the pin? unsure.gif

Even better do you know where I can get a replacement?
any and all help is appreciated,
tks
Dave type.gif
Eric_Shea
Sorry Dave... he's too busy jerkit.gif playing his new guitar to reply.

My fault. headbang.gif
Dr Evil
tongue.gif Eric.

Dave,
You may have to drill out the cone screw carefully if soaking it doesnt work. It would likely be easier to just break the coupler off as used ones are pretty readily available. I probably even have on. As for the pin on the end, those can be a real bitch to press out. Heat is your friend, but not while in the car. Let me see if I have the part for you this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.