Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Repair door panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
I am considering moving the speakers to the stock location. The vinyl on my door panels is ripped in some places and I'd like to get some replacement vinyl. Has anyone been succesful patching in material (pressboard, masonite?) where the speaker holes were and recovering the door panels?
SirAndy
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 5 2008, 08:56 PM) *

I am considering moving the speakers to the stock location. The vinyl on my door panels is ripped in some places and I'd like to get some replacement vinyl. Has anyone been succesful patching in material (pressboard, masonite?) where the speaker holes were and recovering the door panels?

Dr. Evil used to sell brand new backing panels ... idea.gif

Another thing you might want to look into is repairing the actual door frame. The only way to fit door speakers is to cut into the door subframe ...
icon8.gif Andy
southernmost914
There very many new products today, go to Home Depot and trace and cut.

Good luck,
Steve
tronporsche
In my 75' doors, after the old board was replaced with new, and then re-vynled by a upholstry guy, I put a 5 1/4 and a 4 1/2 I believe these are the sizes) in the bottom frond corner, i mounted them in by just using machine screws to go into the door metal. They fit perfectly. I then had the upholstry person cut two holes on the INSIDE VYNL PADDING, and board , and I get good sound , but you will need some amplification to push, as there is some muffling. If you want all of the sound , than cut thru the vynl.....but you had better be accurate !!! Than just put some grill covers on. But I like the look of the entire door vynl.
brownaar
I'm looking at the same issue. Here's a link to a member vendor who does replacement door panels using a fiberglass core.
914 products
zonedoubt
QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 6 2008, 05:10 AM) *

I'm looking at the same issue. Here's a link to a member vendor who does replacement door panels using a fiberglass core.
914 products

I was looking at those. I think he also sells replacement vinyl. But I'm also considering how to repair the panels myself to save some $$$. They're in good condition other than the hole cut for the speaker.
johannes
If you have an early car with the metal part at the top of the panel, go to home depot and cut a panel yourself.

I had the same problem. I wanted to remove the speakers and repair the ugly panels.
I have the late panels (post 75) and had to find cores in an acceptable shape. Some minor repairs were needed.
If you want to see how to repair panel see my thread in the classics ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54608

r_towle
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Oct 6 2008, 12:56 AM) *

Personally I would either find a used set, or buy a piece of masonite from the local store and make a new pair.

If that is not going to happen...
cut a piece of masonite the exact size of the speaker hole and fiberglass it both front and back...sand smooth and lay on new vinyl.

With any repair, cut a new piece of plastic vapor barrier and glue it to the metal door frame before your final install of the new panel.
The vapor barrier will ensure that the new panel does not rot out in two years..
Also, make sure your drains are clean in the bottom of the door...possibly drill a few new ones at the lowest point.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.