Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Dipstick help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PlaysWithCars
Changed the oil last week in my recently aquired 914-6, and consistent with other experiences on this car, something isn't quite right. this is an original 914-6 and still has the original oil tank, but it looks like someone made the dipstick by cut and weld from another car. Can someone tell me what the dimensions are from the top of the dipstick, where it nests in the oil tank, down to the 'full' and 'add' marks should be?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146
Here is a photo of mine!
davep
Search is your friend (we need a smiley for this)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=78308
IronHillRestorations
Alternately you could add the known correct amount at your next oil change and mark the dipstick appropriately.
PlaysWithCars
Thanks Jeff.

That's strange, looks like mine is very similar to the original but with addt'l length added on. Anybody have ideas why someone would do that? I know the car spent time at DE days and autocrossing. Is it typical to run them low in high g situations? I've heard of running the 911s on the low side of full, but not enough that you would need to extend the dipstick.

Perry, I tried that, but ran into problems with a drain plug leak so I had to pull it and put a new gasket on it quickly. I think I lost about a quart and a half, so that's what I added back in, but it totally blew any chance of marking the dipstick accurately.

Thanks for the input, now I need to go add oil.
IronHillRestorations
Then I'd go with 165mm from the clip.
6freak
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Oct 8 2008, 08:40 AM) *

Changed the oil last week in my recently aquired 914-6, and consistent with other experiences on this car, something isn't quite right. this is an original 914-6 and still has the original oil tank, but it looks like someone made the dipstick by cut and weld from another car. Can someone tell me what the dimensions are from the top of the dipstick, where it nests in the oil tank, down to the 'full' and 'add' marks should be?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

That one looks like mine more then the other one does .they crack and break thats prolly why its welded.Mines been welded ! I dont keep mine in the filler tube for fear that piece will break and be gone forever...I only install mine when im checking the oil...JMO
6freak
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 8 2008, 09:24 AM) *

Here is a photo of mine!

This one is too short .Probably broke and never fixed
degreeoff
For what it is worth mine is exactly the same as phoenix 914-6's is on the link above AND has only one mark @ roughly 7" (a dot punched in it). For waht it is worth I have been able to put 15 qts in and not get a reading on my dipstick....? BUT next time I'll go more (yes with engine runiing @ idle etc!) I have AN 12 lines and a smaller than stock front oil oil cooler too.

Josh
SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ Oct 9 2008, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 8 2008, 09:24 AM) *

Here is a photo of mine!

This one is too short .Probably broke and never fixed

Could be a 911 stick, they are too short for the 914/6 tank ...
idea.gif Andy
Jeffs9146
Here is the part number

AA Parts List

You can get one at AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.