Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stall speed ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Can anyone here explain ( In dum painter terms ) the stall speed, in depth and how it comes into play when looking at cam shafts ?

Spank you
stepuptotheMike
and while you are at it..... what it means in reference to torque converters. biggrin.gif

-Mike
ws91420
Stall speed is the speed at which the converter will hold back the engine output if the the transmission output is prohibited. Drag racers typically want a high stall converter to build up more rpms for off the line launch
so probably for knowledge if it will be held at x rpm for a while
scotty b
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Oct 8 2008, 06:02 PM) *

Stall speed is the speed at which the converter will hold back the engine output if the the transmission output is prohibited. Drag racers typically want a high stall converter to build up more rpms for off the line launch
so probably for knowledge if it will be held at x rpm for a while

So for a top end cam you would want a higher stall speed converter ? Or is that to simple ?
ws91420
here is an article that should answer your questions

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarti...dyno/index.html
scotty b
Thanks Welby, that does help. beerchug.gif I have a feeling the Chrysler has a high stall converter in it now. It is pretty sluggish at low speed and doesn't take off well when easing on the gas. Like the clutches are slipping. But when you get on it and the RPM jumps so does the car. biggrin.gif I'm trying to figure out what cam to go with and knew somehow the stall speed played into it. Now I know...and knowing is half the battle

degreeoff
Ummmm....in a cessna its about 47 knots dirty and 60 clean....give or take depending on weight
plas76targa
now be specific Josh. C150, C152, c172, c182, c210, C404 ???

drunk.gif
dflesburg
If you don't push in the clutch, somewhere around 10 mph.
sww914
I stall out at about 3:30.
fiid
In the 172SP it's 40 KIAS dirty at max gross and 48 KIAS clean at max gross with most forward center of gravity.

KIAS isn't to do with Korean cars - it's the airspeed indicated in knots.

Perhaps more interesting is that the "Do Not Exceed" speed of a 172SP is 163 KIAS, which according to the operating handbook is exactly the same as the "Maximum Window Open Speed". I want to know how they engineered the windows to break at exactly the same speed as the wings smile.gif

BTW - the 172SP is my other ride powered by an air cooled flat 4. Passed my private checkride about a month ago... smile.gif
plas76targa
bye1.gif hi Fiid! (we met at McMarks' gee 3+ years ago) Congrats on check ride.

and sorry to Hijack your thread Scotty. did you get your real answer on stall speed - related to auto transmission?
r_towle
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 8 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Can anyone here explain ( In dum painter terms ) the stall speed, in depth and how it comes into play when looking at cam shafts ?

Spank you

Its the point at which you "stall" or faint on top when she is yelling "faster, faster"

R
messix
what chrysler are you talking about?

is this something that has allways been that way or has it just started?

is this car new to you, is stock or modified/hot rodded?

transmission problems came show up like what you have discribed.
scotty b
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 9 2008, 10:53 AM) *

what chrysler are you talking about?

is this something that has allways been that way or has it just started?

is this car new to you, is stock or modified/hot rodded?

transmission problems came show up like what you have discribed.

68 300, It has been in my possession for a little over a year, sat for a while prior to that, and has done this all along. I am fairly certain it is a tranny problem but I am planning to go throught the engine and trans over winter and will be installing a cam. I figure while I have everything apart I will try to figure out what stall speed would be best suited for the car. But I'm not gud wif figgering owt dat tipe uv stuffs
jmill
Comp cams has a sweet website where you can download a program to select the right cam for you car.

http://www.compcams.com/camquest/default.asp

It will recommend the correct stall speed converter for the cam you select.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 9 2008, 04:31 AM) *

In the 172SP it's 40 KIAS dirty at max gross and 48 KIAS clean at max gross with most forward center of gravity.

KIAS isn't to do with Korean cars - it's the airspeed indicated in knots.

Perhaps more interesting is that the "Do Not Exceed" speed of a 172SP is 163 KIAS, which according to the operating handbook is exactly the same as the "Maximum Window Open Speed". I want to know how they engineered the windows to break at exactly the same speed as the wings smile.gif

BTW - the 172SP is my other ride powered by an air cooled flat 4. Passed my private checkride about a month ago... smile.gif

Ok.. you know what VNE is for the Cessna 172.

What is VOS????

Eric_Shea
easing on the gas

There's your problem.

Put that damn cross-ram in there I found for ya and help stimulate the economy!! w00t.gif
championgt1
biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I am rebuilding my first auto trans and it is way easier than a manual. Maybe you need it redone. Look into a kit and I can do it for ya.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.