Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Wear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I am hoping to use one of the 2 clutch plates that I have for my 71 1.7L.

Reading the repair manual, the only measurement mentioned is 0.6mm depth for the rivets. THere's no cracking or oil staining on either plate.

I've estimated the depth on the one plate to be about 1.8mm and the other to be about 2.0mm.

One plate has slots and one does not. Does mean the one w/o slots is worn more or are there both types (w/slots and w/o slots) out there?

What other criteria should I use to evaluate the clutch plates for continued use?
Gint
Why don't I move this thread to the garage instead of the classifieds?
orange914
check the spring tension and deglaze the material beerchug.gif good to go imho
Spoke
Thanks. what method to deglaze the plates? Steel wool? Fine Sandpaper? What about the PP & flywheel? Deglaze those?
orange914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 15 2008, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks. what method to deglaze the plates? Steel wool? Fine Sandpaper? What about the PP & flywheel? Deglaze those?

just ruff up the slick/glazed material face with an abrasive pad of sorts, i always used a small orbital scotchbrite pad on my high speed die grinder or drill to cut the glaze on the flywheel and brake rotors/disc. it would take real effort but be careful not to dig in. it even looks "machine fresh" after you do it a couple times beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Der fine der, dont cha know. They are two different types, both will work, use the 2.0mm one.
Wilhelm
In a similar vein and not meant to hijack......... I've got about a dozen pressure plates I got in some deal. Are there any sort of criteria to decide if these are good or just recycle material?
jimkelly
clutch disc is only $68 from pelican - i would say just replace it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...c_pg1.htm#item7

jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.