Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 West Coast Classic 2004 Poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
seanery
914 West Coast Classic 2004 Poll

Arrangements for the biggest West Coast 914 Porsche event of 2004 are taking shape. Before final arrangements can be made, please help the planning committee with your input. Your vote above indicates your date preference, so don’t vote if you cannot attend, or don’t think you can attend. This is only an informal poll to better ascertain your preferences, it is not a commitment to attend.

Tentative Event Schedule

Having a stand-alone 914-only event appears to be beyond our reach this year, so we propose to augment certain events planned by other San Francisco Bay Area P-car groups. This way, we will enhance their events and contribute to our own success at the same time. We currently plan to start our event on a Friday with a 9:14 Breakfast and then enjoy a twisty-road tour through the mountains to the scenic Monterey Peninsula, likely staying the night in Monterey. Saturday we will Autocross, and there is a good likelihood that it will be our own dedicated 914-only event. On Sunday we would attend a Porsche-only Concours and swapmeet as a group, and finish up the weekend with a farewell, catered, 914-only, BBQ-style picnic en masse. The cost will be minimal, only to cover expenses, and will occur by prepaid registration.

There are only 2 weekends this year that this can happen, June 4-6 and July 30-August 1, 2004.

Would you be a paid attendee for this event, and if so, which dates work better for you? Final announcements, registration and other information will be available soon, stay tuned.

Please help us plan by telling us your date preference:
anthony
FWIW, I just did a quick check on various discount hotel web sites comparing the two dates and rooms in Monterey are quite a bit cheaper on June 4-6th. That problably means that something else is happening down there on the weekend in August.
seanery
*PLEASE NOTE*

there was an error in the date for the June option. Correct date is June 4-6. It has been corrected above.

Thanks
jonwatts
The later the better, more time to finish the car chairfall.gif
Jeroen
Is the event still gonna be a full week?
I know the focus will be on the weekend, but IIRC there were plans to start on monday/tuesday for the "hardcore" teeners...

Either way, July is a PITA-month for me (stuck at the office), so I won't be able to catch a plane any earlier than friday 29th
That would mean I'd miss part of it and/or be jet-lagged for the rest of the event wacko.gif

The june dates would be MUCH better for me.

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
Jeroen, this first year will be abbreviated from what the original plan was.
DNHunt
Given some lead time we can certainly plan some informal events either before or after. Golf comes to mind, hanging out, relaxing is a real treat, even tourista stuff. Let's get the core event together and I'm sure there will be some extra stuff that will shake out. Heck I'd like to see Brad's shop, I'd could even be talked into Hooter's (Brad if you read this I'm not the old puritan you must think I am). bs.gif

Dave
Jeroen
QUOTE(seanery @ Feb 9 2004, 02:20 AM)
Jeroen, this first year will be abbreviated from what the original plan was.

Doesn't matter... It's gonna be a full week event for me one way or the other boldblue.gif
Either way, I'll let the others decide and I'll just tag along biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
ps I just checked for plane tickets... flying in july is $400 bucks extra compared to june...
Bend over baby blink.gif
aufaber
Hmm, well I'll be up there on the week of the 9th of august through the 15th for the Monterey Historic Races. So I don't think I would want to drive up 2 weekends in a row.. so I guess I'll vote for June.
rick 918-S
Come on people! lots of lookers. Very few coments. confused24.gif
Keith Sammons
<_< Oooooops....Replied to the wrong thread. As of this moment, either date is OK for organizing a run and attending.
Brad Roberts
VOTE PEOPLE.

Some major decisions need to be made (I dont know exactly at this moment what those are, but I;m sure they are important..LOL)

B
Gint
I voted already. I can't make the June date.
Bleyseng
I voted for June as later in the summer is when everyone goes on vacation. (thats why flights cost more Jeroen).
PLUS in June there is more daylight and we can play outdoors more (fixing our cars).

Geoff
Gint
I can go in June, but not 6/4-11
Andyrew
I'll say 30-1 because in june month that date rests on two auto x's. I would like to go to the auto x's but I could go either way..

I voted 30-1st

Andrew
Jenny
I have no real preference as far as scheduling goes. But I think the weather will be better july/aug, so I picked that. But I could go either dates. Whatever's easiest for the planners, I say.

Jen
Kevin@ojai.net
I voted for 30-1. I will be busy with SuperMileage vehicle stuff for the first couple weeks of June.

-Kevin
VegasRacer
In theory I like a later date. Of the 52 weekends in the year you picked the only one where I have a major conflict. July 30 - Aug 1 is the VARA 2nd Annual Golden State Classic at the California Speedway Long Course in Fontana. headbang.gif Please don't make me pick only one. I will gladly give up a race weekend at Buttonwillow or Willow Springs. It was a month before this event last year that I blew my motor. mad.gif I don't want to miss it again.

VOTE FOR JUNE 4-6
(or vote for July/Aug) but VOTE !!!
eresener
If I still lived in Chicago and the event was being held there... I would offer to you the Chicago politicians behind the scenes comments....

"Vote early...vote often".... cool.gif
rick 918-S
Nice to see some comments here. I'm behind this event no matter what date it lands on or how it turns out. When the first idea was purposed we had an over whelming response. Were 5-6 months away and almost ready to put a lock on this thing. numbers matter here. Several of us in the planning thread are from across the country and around the world. We chat and laugh with each other from arcoss the globe. This is the clubs first event organized event. I see groups of people on the board from everywhere planning and meeting and working to do things together. I really would like to see that kind of enthusiasum here.

If this idea helps you commit to joining in on the fun here's a little of what I thought we'd do. Several people have expressed interest in connecting along the way. There is safety in numbers. I plan to establish a route soon. (once the date is locked) I plan to locate shops, members that really can't join in, towing, parts houses ect. that will come out to help along the route if we need them. A little peace of mind goes a long way when traveling across the country. (Hey Joan Did It by herself!)

I'm out working on the Alien every chance I get to complete the car for this event. The dates suck on short notice I know. If we had an once of cooperation with the venues in the Solvang/Cambria area we would have stayed the course. It couldn't be helped. Shuffle things around a little and lets have some fun.
rhodyguy
even if it is held in july i plan on seeing my son in the arcata area in june. i'll probably drive a couple of hours south and pester everyone.

kevin
Joe Bob
I'm fine with either one....won't have a running 914 available....either the 356 (maybe) or the 9 eleben (it always runs).
Queenie
I can't afford to attend anything that's out of town so I'm not voting.
JWest
Once the date is set I will see if I can get one of the sets of parents to watch the kids. It will take too much time to try to drive out there, but if the schedule works then the wife and I will fly out. June looks better to me, both from the schedule and the cost of tickets/hotel.
AZ914
Sounds like a great event and I'd like to make it.

If I'm going to drive an air-cooled car From Tucson, thru the desert to Monterey, I'd prefer to do it June 4-6. driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Queenie @ Feb 9 2004, 08:20 AM)
I can't afford to attend anything that's out of town so I'm not voting.

vote anyway, By then your luck may change. It's 6 months out. You started in with the planning and did great things for all of us. I want to see you there.
Queenie
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Feb 9 2004, 10:17 AM)

vote anyway, By then your luck may change. It's 6 months out. You started in with the planning and did great things for all of us. I want to see you there.

It has nothing to do with luck. My debt ratio isn't going to change in the next six months or even the next year. Spending money that I don't have is out of the question unless it's a matter of life and death, which this is not.
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Queenie @ Feb 9 2004, 10:54 AM)
unless it's a matter of life and death, which this is not.

Queenie,
Im going to kill you if you dont attend the West Coast Classic. There, now it is a matter of life or death. wavey.gif

Im just kidding.... unsure.gif
Aaron Cox
graduation is that week in june. july would be better for me.
rick 918-S
I can see your not listening.... lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif (avatar) seriously, you know best what your challenges and limits are.

Thanks. Make sure you add your 2 cents worth in the planning thread though. You have many good idea's. We need ya. wavey.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Feb 9 2004, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE(Queenie @ Feb 9 2004, 10:54 AM)
unless it's a matter of life and death, which this is not.

Queenie,
Im going to kill you if you dont attend the West Coast Classic. There, now it is a matter of life or death. wavey.gif

Im just kidding.... unsure.gif

You guys are funny! laugh.gif I needed a good laugh! We want you there. Hitch a ride with Steve or someone and we'll figure it out from there. We have very few gurls as members here. Veryone deserves a vacation. It changes your whole perspective on life and work. It's healthy.
rick 918-S
Lets get them votes in. This thing is a dead heat! We need a tie breaker.
Carl
At this point it doesn't really matter to me. Either way works.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
June only works for me . July is to close to my meet
THE Mid West Classic Aug. 7&8 th . smilie_flagge6.gif
Dave
Eric Taylor
QUOTE(acox914 @ Feb 9 2004, 12:24 PM)
graduation is that week in june. july would be better for me.

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I would really like to go, so I vote for July.
Eric
KaptKaos
I'd like the later date, but that's because we have a new baby coming end of May. Regardless, I doubt I can go. The wife would ar15.gif me if I told her I was gonna be in SF for a weekend.

Thanks Though.
AZ914
Rich,

Looks like a dead heat. I'd say just pick a date. There are so many of us out here and lots of us will have conflicts. If we can go, we can go, if we can't, maybe next time...

I side slightly with the early date since I had penciled that in way back when the topic first came up...

Thanks for organizing! smilie_pokal.gif
Britton
Yeah, seriously, this sounds like it's going to be a pretty cool event. But do you guys have a round about cost estimate per head? I think I'd try to go no matter what, just wondern' though.

As for the date, for me August would be better since it might gimme more time to make ol yellow thunder moer presentable. But then again, the earlier date would get my butt in gear NOW! ohmy.gif

-Brit
Mike D.
Either weekend is fine with me. I was looking forward to only going half way to Monterey (Cambria/Solvang), but, whatever... Will we be staying in one place all weekend? The description was unclear...

Mike D.

PS - I think your going to lose people in July due to the Historics being so close.
rick 918-S
Thanks, Things are still just a little fluid yet but it will jell shortly. then you'll see some serious #*@^! aktion035.gif
Aaron Cox
what about a date inbetween the 2 dates? mid june? early july? that would help solve the increased hotel prices, and maybe even more people could show up?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(acox914 @ Feb 10 2004, 04:40 PM)
what about a date inbetween the 2 dates? mid june? early july? that would help solve the increased hotel prices, and maybe even more people could show up?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Were making this happen by moving from one currently scheduled event to another. As far as I know there isn't three events we can attend that weekend. The auto cross seems to be the big draw card and the reason we have had so much trouble getting the event going. BTW: When the 914's show up at the AX it will be a site to behold! smilie_pokal.gif I'm Tellin ya! aktion035.gif The planning group is open to all suggestions. But once the event is set for this year we will all need to make the best time we can. I'd be worried if this was the old pharts club. But you guy's (and gals ) are real car people and know how to par-tay aktion035.gif . The most important thing as I see it is everyone do their best to make the event. Next event we should have a better handle on. We'll have a year to plan and not 8 months through several holidays.
drew365
Can road racers AX? The idea is to pick up as many cones as you can, like on Fear Factor, right? unsure.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 10 2004, 12:19 PM)
Looks like a dead heat.    I'd say just pick a date.

This thing is a dead heat! We need a tie breaker.

Can we make a list of the pros & cons for each of the dates?
I'm looking for objective comments not personal reasons.
Which date would be best for the greatest number of people?

PRO June - Lower cost for hotel rooms and airlines. Cooler temps for cross country drivers.

CON June - Graduation.

PRO July - More time to get ready.

CON July - Conflict with Monterey Historic and Mid-west classic.

Please add your impartial input. We need to make a choice. Soon!
JWest
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Feb 10 2004, 11:39 PM)
PRO July - More time to get ready.

Yeah right. People are just going to wait an extra month before starting to get ready! smile.gif
seanery
we're leaning towards the later date, so if you have a preference, especially for the earlier date. VOTE!! VOTE!!! VOTE!!!!!
Jeroen
I don't know if any of you noticed, but...

CON: Dave Barber's Mid West Classic is a week after our WCC
I'd hate to see us rain all over his event

I know it's gonna be hard to please everybody
(damned if you do, damned if you don't)

My preference would be the original date or move it up 2 or 3 weeks (end of june)

Just my 0.02 euro

cheers,

Jeroen
rhodyguy
nail down the date. what ever it is. the polling could go on until JUNE! maybe less is more with regards to this event. perhaps letting us just READ the locked down thread might be beneficial. flip a coin, i don't care how the date is established. spare us the hanging chards.

kevin
DNHunt
I agree with Kevin. We need a date. I appreciate the effort of all who are planning this. And it's great that you are trying to please as many people as you can but, no matter how many votes you get in this poll you will never be able to fit it to everyones schedule unless you have an event every weekend through the summer. (Someone would still have a conflict). The salvation is that next year you can vote all over and go through this again. ohmy.gif Seriously, thanks for all your work and let's get as many people together as we can, have an off the charts good time beer.gif chowtime.gif MDB2.gif smoke.gif beerchug.gif laugh.gif mueba.gif so everyone will want to massage their calenders to accommodate your schedule next year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.