Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 bulk head mounts opinions please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
I have been looking at different bulk head mounts and I am leaning towards the patrick motorsports mounts. I figured I might as well throw the question out there to see what others have used.

Right now the reasons I am leaning towards the PM mount is because it has the mounts further apart, seems to have a more race oriented poly mount, and a good quality construction. The negative is that it is about 200 more than the other mount I am looking at but I figure worth it for a fairly mission critical part.

Here is the PM mount:
Click to view attachment

Here is the other one I am looking at:
Click to view attachment

All feedback both positive and negative are appreciated.

Larry
brant
you will get a lot of feed back that patrick's stuff is no good
I think the motor bars often did break

I have the patrick bulkhead mount
its good for racing
not good for originality

I can drop/tip my motor more easily with this mount
I once dropped it 2x in one day at a track and still finished the day out on track.....

good for racing if you factor in serviceability.
(not sure it adds any benefit in structure)

brant
Cap'n Krusty
Two words. "Rich Johnson". Buy his mount. The Cap'n
Lou W
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 20 2008, 09:21 PM) *

you will get a lot of feed back that patrick's stuff is no good
I think the motor bars often did break

brant

I think that the motor bars that were of concern were the ones that mount to the stock four locations.

I don't think that you can use the stock style heat exchagers with the PMS mount.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 20 2008, 08:24 PM) *

Two words. "Rich Johnson". Buy his mount. The Cap'n

agree.gif

The patrick mount doesn't nearly have the same surface area to weld to the firewall.
And i certainly wouldn't just bolt it on anyways. The racers like it because it's easy to drop the engine and transmission just enough to get to the valves.

The RJ mount is much more "sturdy" and i use it with 911 sport motor mounts on my 3.6L ...
w00t.gif Andy

Here's a pic of mine with a nice welded bead around it:
LarryR
Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like the Richard Johnson mount is the way to go. Glad I posted here first. Thanks, Larry

Bucci
QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 20 2008, 10:00 PM) *

Thanks for all of the responses. It looks like the Richard Johnson mount is the way to go. Glad I posted here first. Thanks, Larry

Larry, there is one more mount that I know of. It is built by Randy Beck and is a bolt-in to a four cylinder car with stock motor mounts. No... Cutting, drilling, welding etc.... Please respond and I will send out a picture I have one of these bars for my six conversion and has worked well for over 12 years!

Best Marc-
phone number 619-726-9012
PeeGreen 914
I have to say I really like the Patrick mount. It was easy to install, I did it in a day while I was swaping enigines. Pulled the engine, tacked and welded it up, and when I was ready to put the other engine in it was ready. Didn't need to pull the wiring harness or lines or anything. Plus, there is more surface area than a stock six mount and they use these in cars with over 300hp.

On the other hand, the Rich Johnson mount it a very nice mount as well. There is more to installing it but the overall quality is great.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bucci @ Oct 20 2008, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 20 2008, 10:00 PM) *

Larry, there is one more mount that I know of. It is built by Randy Beck and is a bolt-in to a four cylinder car with stock motor mounts. No... Cutting, drilling, welding etc.... Please respond and I will send out a picture I have one of these bars for my six conversion and has worked well for over 12 years!

Best Marc-
phone number 619-726-9012

I had this mount on my car before I did the Patrick mount and I wouldn't sugest doing it. It is just the cheap way of getting a six in. If you are doing any kind of racing it is unsafe and very heavy.
Root_Werks
Either of the 2 mounts you first pictured are great and will work. I really like the RJ mounts and have installed bunches of them. I personally preffer the Maddog mounts which is pretty much the same as an RJ mount which was pretty much the same as the old Velios mounts. The maddog mount you have to pull the wirring loom through it rather than cover it up. Looks more factory, more work, but if you ever have to get to wires for any reason, you'd be happy you put in a maddog mount. Those are my favorite.
LarryR
beerchug.gif I guess I am now torn between the 2 b/c being able to do a slight drop for a valve adjust is very appealing. However, stability is nice but it seems the PM bulk head mount was never a problem but the one that mounted to the oe positions was but is NLA. the RJ mount is actually more expensive if purchased from Pelican by 150 but he seems to post on other forums for less than the PM price. Decisions, decisions...
Lou W
How about this one?

e-bay link
Grngoat
QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 22 2008, 12:59 AM) *

How about this one?

e-bay link

That is the Rich Johnson mount. A914guy@aol.com is his e-mail. So you'd be buying it directly from him cheaper than through Pelican.

Funny thing, that is my car in the second picture. The one of the freshly painted mounted. All the other pics are a different car. I forgot that I sent him that pic. Cool.
LarryR
QUOTE(Grngoat @ Oct 21 2008, 11:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Lou W @ Oct 22 2008, 12:59 AM) *

How about this one?

e-bay link

That is the Rich Johnson mount. A914guy@aol.com is his e-mail. So you'd be buying it directly from him cheaper than through Pelican.

Funny thing, that is my car in the second picture. The one of the freshly painted mounted. All the other pics are a different car. I forgot that I sent him that pic. Cool.

cool I bought that one. 305 bucks I figure good quality and price.. Thanks again for all the feedback.
LarryR
I also talked with Rich for about 30 minutes after I bought it ... super nice guy. I would recommend just contacting him direct for the bulk head mounts.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 22 2008, 08:56 PM) *

I also talked with Rich for about 30 minutes after I bought it ... super nice guy. I would recommend just contacting him direct for the bulk head mounts.

or anything else he sells... great stuff at a good price.
Richard Casto
I would second Rich Johnson. I am in the middle of purchasing a number of things from him (including his bulkhead mount) and he is very helpful and a nice guy.
thesey914
I have the RJ mount. the only criticism i have is it's very fiddly to actually bolt your engine in. Unless i was doing it wrongly, you need 2 people, one to wrench leaning in through under the engine lid and you need to be under the car holding the other end of the bolts from turning.
and the engine is a nightmare to install with the tinware fitted and trying to clear the protruding mount -guess this would be the same for the PMS mount also
John
If I didn't make my own, I would also suggest the RJ mount.
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Oct 23 2008, 07:53 PM) *

If I didn't make my own, I would also suggest the RJ mount.

Solid mount?
huh.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.