Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Projekt: 914 GT4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 7 2009, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 7 2009, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 7 2009, 09:09 AM) *

I like Dan Hall's. It looks & smells like a machine shop should. The folks there have dirt under their finger nails.

Don't forget, YOU are responsible for cleaning out the oil passages in your crank after grind/polish. Clean till you're cross-eyed, then do it summore.

They told me that they would clean it, but I plan on re-cleaning it when I get it, and I also plan on cleaning every single part immediately before it goes in my engine.

I'm still working on cleaning the case... it looks clean, it's nice and shiny, but it doesn't feel clean.

They never said anything about cleaning out any of the cranks I took there.....and they were definately not clean. I spent hours squirting clean solvent ...pipe cleaners, Q tips....whut ever... thru the suckers till they ran free of shittage.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to pay attention...
Todd Enlund
I drew my first bead with the new MIG. 18 ga sheet, Lincoln .025 wire on a Miller 140 set to "Autoset". First few attempts something seemed not quite right. Then, I noticed the gas gauge was going to 0 when I pulled the trigger. I cranked the tank up to 30 CFH, and got the bead that I circled in red. I could not be more thrilled... it looks exactly the same on the back side. Obviously, I'll need a bit more practice, especially in finishing a bead, but WOOHOO! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
watsonrx13
Todd, weld looks good.... Just remember, to get really good welds you need the following:

1. good lighting, you need to see what you're welding
2. good ground, get as close to the weld area and remove all paint until you get to bare metal
3. take your time, the metal on these cars are very thin and it's easy to burn through

-- Rob
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jan 13 2009, 04:40 AM) *

Todd, weld looks good.... Just remember, to get really good welds you need the following:

1. good lighting, you need to see what you're welding
2. good ground, get as close to the weld area and remove all paint until you get to bare metal
3. take your time, the metal on these cars are very thin and it's easy to burn through

-- Rob

Thanks for the advice. I bought a sheet of 18 ga to practice on so that I'd get used to the thin metal. I have a Harbor Freight auto dark hood that worked pretty good. I'll throw some more light on the work next time to see if I can see any better, but this still beats crap out of stick welding with a flip down hood.
Spoke
My brother in law welds for a living on the railroad. When he was coaching me on welding and I mentioned that I couldn't see the bead, he suggested I wear my reading glasses for welding. Duh. What a difference the reading glasses made.
Todd Enlund
I could see the bead okay, but seeing where I was going was a bit iffy. Next time for practice, I am going to cut two pieces and try to follow the seam.

From looking at my initial attempt, I feel like I need to move a little faster, and I burned through at the end of the bead.
strawman
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 13 2009, 10:08 AM) *

I could see the bead okay, but seeing where I was going was a bit iffy. Next time for practice, I am going to cut two pieces and try to follow the seam.

From looking at my initial attempt, I feel like I need to move a little faster, and I burned through at the end of the bead.

Be sure to get way down low and bring the bead toward you so that you can see what going on... sometimes the MIG gun or something else blocks your view when welding on the car, but practice/practice/practice beforehand will give you a better feel for hand speed, angle of the gun, motion of the gun (straight, half-moons, etc.), distance of the gun from the metal, etc. Soap pencils parallel to the weld area can also help when you're welding in an area with low-light.

Have fun! welder.gif

Geoff
J P Stein
Anybody can run MIG in the flat particularly downhand like your doing. Verticle & overhead seperates the men form the boys (I'm a teenager biggrin.gif ). Down hand flat/verticle is OK for sheet metal, but thicker materials need up hand for penetration. Overhead sheet metal....what ever you gotta do to keep from lighting yourself on fire. blink.gif
RAB914
welder.gif http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/thin-metal.htm welder.gif
Todd Enlund
Got a call from Dan Hall's today. Crank is broke. Fuch. So much for the 2258.

Now I need to make a decision between a 2056 and a 2270. I have two more 2.0 cranks. Time to crunch a bunch of numbers.
iamchappy
("Now I need to make a decision between a 2056 and a 2270")

Bigger is better.......then theres always bigger......and bigger........and bigger.......
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 14 2009, 05:31 PM) *

Bigger is better.......then theres always bigger......and bigger........and bigger.......

At this point, bigger involves a $600 crank...
Solo914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 14 2009, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 14 2009, 05:31 PM) *

At this point, bigger involves a $600 crank...

Todd,
That sucks... what options are you looking at?

Kyle
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 15 2009, 04:14 PM) *

Todd,

Kyle

I have an interim plan. I'm thinking I'll build a closer-to-stock engine to run until I can afford the rest of the parts for a 2270 or 2316. Then I'll have a spare engine in case the big motor grenades...
Solo914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 15 2009, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 15 2009, 04:14 PM) *

Todd,

Kyle

I have an interim plan. I'm thinking I'll build a closer-to-stock engine to run until I can afford the rest of the parts for a 2270 or 2316. Then I'll have a spare engine in case the big motor grenades...

Yeah.. good idea. Gets you on the road sooner and lets you shake out the other stuff. I drove down to Portland last year and picked up a complete 2.0l with sideshift trans for $500 with the intention of doing something like you are doing but just can't decide what to do. What does Jake say about those 78mm Foreign MFG'd forged cranks?

Kyle
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 15 2009, 04:35 PM) *

Yeah.. good idea. Gets you on the road sooner and lets you shake out the other stuff. I drove down to Portland last year and picked up a complete 2.0l with sideshift trans for $500 with the intention of doing something like you are doing but just can't decide what to do. What does Jake say about those 78mm Foreign MFG'd forged cranks?

Kyle

I can't imagine that he could badmouth them too much, cuz he sells them...
Todd Enlund
Flared rockers came in the mail today from the AA Group Buy. First impression is pretty damn nice... here is one just set in place:

Click to view attachment
Solo914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 15 2009, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 15 2009, 04:35 PM) *

Kyle

I can't imagine that he could badmouth them too much, cuz he sells them...

Yeah, but he doesn't put them in his kits. I wonder if it has to do with rod choices etc.

Cool Rockers. Are those steel or fiberglass?

Kyle
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Jan 15 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Cool Rockers. Are those steel or fiberglass?

They are glass, just like the factory GTs. George says that they are from a mold pulled from a factory M471 car.
Todd Enlund
Car has been in a storage unit for over 5 years now. I just found a new place that finally looks like I can get back to working on my 914 soon. I'm pretty excited about that. piratenanner.gif

During the last 5 years, I have managed to acquire a pair of Len Hoffman heads and a pair of raised spindle 911 struts.

Hoping to get Lonely Neuron Brewing up and running again soon as well. beer3.gif
balljoint
ohmy.gif
Krieger
Cool Todd! I hope things start moving along for you.
swooshdave
Are you in the same area?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(swooshdave @ Jul 20 2014, 08:46 PM) *

Are you in the same area?

Pretty much. Moving from Woodstock to Kerns.
Dr Evil
Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.