Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Projekt: 914 GT4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Todd Enlund
Everyone needs a build thread, right? Here’s mine. I am going to post the first part of this retroactively, and then I’ll try to keep it updated.

I got the car as a trade for services. A guy that I knew had 5½ 914s, and was getting married. I agreed to photograph his wedding in exchange for a 914 and a 901 sideshifter. Barter is good.

My plan was originally to do a Subaru conversion, but I decided that to do it right would cost too much, and I had just been forced to retire from the Air Force two days before my 43rd birthday. The budget will be tight. I considered a 2.7/6 conversion, but again, the little things would add up to be expensive.

Over the last year, my plan has evolved. I decided to stick with a Type IV, and rebuild it myself.

The factory color is L21E Tangerine, and I plan on an updated M471-style GT look. Small parts will kill a budget, so many of my decisions will be based on NOT buying or restoring parts to factory condition, but still having a solution that looks like I did not compromise.

My goal is 1900 lbs, 150 HP and LOTS of fun.

Here is my inspiration:
Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
02 Sep 2007

Here it is on delivery day. I was so excited when it arrived on a trailer that I forgot to take photos until we got it hoisted into the garage. Looks good! Just a 1971 rolling chassis, though… with a sideshift 901 on the side. I managed to clear out enough room between the brewing equipment, camping gear, lawn mower, bikes and model airplanes to fit it into the garage. I’ll need more room later.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
13 Sep 2007

Initial assessment. For the last two weeks I’ve been going into the garage every evening and sitting in my new toy. Now I am finally ready to start looking for damage. I knew that the left rear fender had been replaced at some point, and the car had been repainted at that time. Apparently, there had also been a minor ding on the right front corner.
Click to view attachment
Some rust bubbles under the touchup paint on the right cowl-fender seam.
Click to view attachment
A small bondo spot on the hood.
Click to view attachment
Door have been professionally cut for speakers, and the door panels themselves are trash.
Click to view attachment
Driver’s door has a crack in the structure.
Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
13 SEP 2007 cont

Pulled up the carpet, and the pan looks okay on the driver’s side, just a little rust up front.
Click to view attachment
55167… what does that mean? 155,167? 255,167? Who knows?
Click to view attachment
Front targa seal is almost gone.
Click to view attachment
Hell hole.
Click to view attachment
The guy that I got it from cut away “the bad part” with a plasma cutter. Cool. But, then he sprayed red oxide primer over everything… I’d have rather been able to see the damage. He also cut through the right rear hard brake line. Oops!
Todd Enlund
18 Sep 2007

Hmmm… the tar was loose on the floor pan in some areas, so I pulled it up. Wow, no floor! So I took the interior out, and prepared to strip out all the tar to see just how bad it was.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
southernmost914
Pull off those rockers and give us a peak.

Steve
iamchappy
QUOTE(southernmost914 @ Oct 22 2008, 06:54 PM) *

Pull off those rockers and give us a peak.

Steve

Yeah it's almost Halloween, scare us. w00t.gif

Nice collection of empty beer bottles, which reminds me i was going to send you a little package.
PeeGreen 914
Wow Todd, you told me you got a little rust but I am waiting to see if there really is a 914 there... laugh.gif You can do it aktion035.gif
jc914
Wow you got some rust i will keep up with your post on this project. I want to see those rockers ... Good luck you can do it.
PanelBilly
Looks like fun. If your setting a short timeline for having a drivable car, I'd say your budget needs to be fairly large. Its not going to be cheep to get all the parts you need to fix the rust and running gear. I think if you can leave the "finish date" open (like anybody finishes one of these cars???), and source the parts on the secondary market or from parts cars, you'll save some money. Rebuilding a car can be a lot of fun if you take your time.
Todd Enlund
When I pulled the rocker covers, there was a copious amount of dirt under each one. Fortunately, the dirt was bone dry. Here's what it looks like under there:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 23 2008, 08:13 AM) *

Looks like fun. If your setting a short timeline for having a drivable car, I'd say your budget needs to be fairly large. Its not going to be cheep to get all the parts you need to fix the rust and running gear. I think if you can leave the "finish date" open (like anybody finishes one of these cars???), and source the parts on the secondary market or from parts cars, you'll save some money. Rebuilding a car can be a lot of fun if you take your time.

My target "finish date" is "when it is done". Since I got the car as a roller, I've never driven it. I'm really anxious to drive it, but it's also fun to work on it. It's fun to work on because I can do it on my terms. I'ts not fun to work on a car when it's on the car's terms.

When I was working, I always wanted to hang a sign in my shop that said "Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick any two." Well, with this project, the choices are "good" and "cheap".
Todd Enlund
15 October 2007

I bought my first part for my 914. I bought a steering wheel on eBay, a Momo Club 4. $35. Seller was in Japan, so I expected high shipping… $42.00 was even higher than I expected though. Still, $77.00 for a Momo wheel with a horn button isn’t bad.

Click to view attachment

So, now I need an adaptor. Found one on eBay and won it for $50 shipped. Turns out, it is for a 914/6 or early 911, and although the splines match, that is all that matches. This is as far as it goes on.

Click to view attachment

Come to find out, 1970-71 cars had a different column than the 72-later, and Momo doesn't make an adapter for the early cars. This early 911 adapter has found a new home, in exchange for a /4 adapter and 1974 column.
Todd Enlund
30 Oct 2007

The passenger side turn signal bucket and taillight housing are both bad, so I bought one of each. The taillight housing arrived broken. Now I have two broken right side taillight housings. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
5 March 2008

My driver’s side window regulator won’t raise the windows all the way up, so I bought a pair from a guy on 914World for $5 + $15 shipping. I know that the early regulators are regarded as crap, but I like the fact that they weigh nothing.
Todd Enlund
2 May 2008

The 901 side shifter that I got with my car had a broken mounting ear on the tail cover, so the guy that I got it from told me that he’d swap it for a good one.

Click to view attachment

I took the tail cover off… there was more water than oil in the case. Looked like something on a coral reef.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The 1st-reverse shifter fork was broken as well.

Click to view attachment

Looks like I'll need more than a tail cover.
Zaney
I feel your pain sad.gif
I am currently in the 'While I'm in there' phase myself. The rear half of the floor pan was trash so after many spot weld drill holes it came out. Now, it is time to nut up and dig into the right long and wheelhouse with a wire wheel.
beerchug.gif Good luck and keep your spirits up!
Nate
Todd Enlund
17 May 2008

I took the instrument cluster out of the dash today, and started cleaning things up. The bezels are rusty, as is the panel itself.

Click to view attachment

The gauges are looking pretty dingy and faded.

Click to view attachment

I’m going to redo them, so I’ve taken them apart.

Click to view attachment

Look how faded the low fuel indicator is!

Click to view attachment

While I have them apart, I reset the odometer to -0-.

Click to view attachment

I'm trying to decide what to do with the gauges. I can redo them in the factory white-on-black style, or the popular black-on-white. I can do them with tangerine faces to match the body. I can do the bezels in either black, aluminum or tangerine. I'll think about it for a while, because I also want to incorporate a 911 oel temp/druck gauge, and I need to decide how to do that too.
Todd Enlund
25 May 2008

I bought some seals from Mikey914. A pair of cowl seals, complete set of inner and outer door seals, and a lower front targa seal for $90 + $8.95 shipping. I’m thrilled with the quality, and the price!
Todd Enlund
5 June 2008

I bought a 2.0L core engine for $300 and a 78mm counterweighted crank with a set of clearanced stock rods for $100. Had a nice drive to Bellingham to pick them up, so shipping was the cost of gas… figure $110. Stopped for beer at a few places, and met Phoenix 914-6GT for dinner at Diamond Knot.

I was so excited that the only pic that I took was after it was all apart:

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
9 June 2008

I bought some 1989 911 front suspension parts from a guy on the bird board. Spindles/rotors/hubs/struts/calipers for $350 + $50 shipping.

Edit: As of October 2008, all I have received is the rotors/hubs/calipers. The guy’s name is Mike Hogan from Bethesda, MD 301-706-2896, mhogan@umd.edu
Todd Enlund
21 June 2008

Talk about buying parts when you don’t need them… I decided to organize a GT flare group buy with Auto Atlanta. This is one of the last parts that I’ll need… but I want them, and the price of steel is not going down. $675 shipped, $150 for a set of matching rockers.
Todd Enlund
13 July 2008

Went to the WCR 2008 in Issaquah, and had a blast. Rode around with Jim (roadster fan) for two days. Picked up some more rubber at the silent auction… a set of engine seals. I’m not saying how much I got them for biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Jim's is the beautiful silver car second from the front on the right.
Todd Enlund
6 August 2008

Got some more eBay parts:
New WebCam #163 with gear $76.01 + $16.95
New set of double valve springs with retainers $22.75
New set of pushrod tubes $19.99
Windage Tray $3.24
Lower Right Inner Wheelhouse $62.00 + $25.00

Also got an inner windshield seal from Mikey914 for $15.00 + $5.20 and a set of 1.7 rocker arms for $40 shipped.

Here's my rubber collection:

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
20 July 2008

The hellhole damage is worse than I thought.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Even the suspension console is cracked.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I’m having second thoughts, and am considering a different car… driver or project.

Edit: After looking around, and listening to some opinions, I decided that I’m not going to find anything better for near the price, so I’ll tackle this one.
Todd Enlund
More pics of the floor after I got the tar off:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
29 July 2008

I took the rest of the dashboard out. Good thing. There were some fried wires in the harness under there. I plan on refinishing the dash, and probably using some new switches instead of the factory ones. I hope to laminate carbon fiber over the metal to replace the basket weave vinyl, and will probably add a couple gauges… at least a CHT.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The fuel tank has rusted through where it rests on the felt pad.

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
03 September 2008

The passenger engine mount ear is rusted pretty bad on my car, and nobody makes a repro part. Fortunately, roadster fan had one in his stash! Thanks Jim!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
21 September 2008

I got a suspension console for $150 here in the classifieds. I’m slowly collecting the sheetmetal parts that I’ll need, and then I’ll buy a welder biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
23 September 2008

My car got to go outside today! I lowered it out onto the driveway with a tiedown strap so that I could pressure wash the engine bay, rocker panels and trunks. The pressure washer didn’t do as much good as I had hoped… and now the car doesn’t roll very well. I think the brakes probably flash rusted.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
24 September 2008

Is that a great headliner, or what! It was glued in with contact cement, so it was a b!t¢h to get out, and it left a lot of yarn still attached. I went over it with the knotted wire wheel in the angle grinder and got it all off.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
29 September 2008

I bought a complete 2.0 engine this weekend for $400, from induction to exhaust. The exhaust was a set of stainless heat exchangers! As received and after 5 minutes of scrubbing…

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The carbs are 40 IDFs, and I really need 44s.

I also got a replacement fuel tank, with less rust. Not a bad haul.
Todd Enlund
02 October 2008

I took the headlights out today. I’m thinking about deleting them and just running GT-style driving lights, since I don’t really plan on driving the car much at night. It stays light here in the summer until almost 10PM. Lots of dried pine needles in the buckets, but surprisingly little rust.

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
06 October 2008

The engine that I bought last weekend was sold to me as a 2.0 with 44IDFs. The guy told me that if it was him, he’d just put gas in it and see how it runs. Today I took a look… Uh, nope. I’m not going to try to run this thing. That looks pretty ugly. I think I’ll tear it down… I was planning a rebuild anyhow.

Click to view attachment

I was stumped by the “AW” code… it’s a 1.8L bus case.

Click to view attachment

Nice job on the dipstick, dipstick. (that's how it fits)

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
07 October 2008

Pulling the valve covers revealed a little more rust in the internals… uh-oh.

Click to view attachment

Pulled the left cylinder head, and found 2.0 bus pistons and broken cooling fins. Again, not a big deal if I’m going to rebuild. Whoever built this engine used a gasket on the #1 cylinder, but not on #2.

Click to view attachment

#3 and #4 both had gaskets, but #4 had burned through.

Click to view attachment

Something in #4 beat the sh!t out of the piston and head before finally being embedded into the head. My best guess is that it is a spark plug electrode, and the DAPO just put in a new plug and kept going... Nice! Well, this is a bit more of a big deal as far as a rebuild goes. I have another pair of heads, but I was counting on having two sets available.

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
08 October 2008

Today I found some 2x2 twill pattern “carbon fiber” vinyl. I think I’m going to use it for my door panels to match the carbon fiber dash that I have planned.

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
15 October 2008

I bought a Bostich TU-216-71 pneumatic upholstery stapler on eBay for $31. The guy sent the wrong stapler. The one I bought is a ⅜” crown, this one is a ½” crown. After a phone call, he shipped me the correct stapler, and told me to just keep the other one rather than throw more money at a problem. Cool!

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
That pretty much brings things up to date, and I'll continue from here as things develop.

I've been looking for either 911 RSA door pulls, or 914 GT door pulls. Both have been out of my budget. Today I ordered a set of Fiat 600 door pulls for $13 from Mr. Fiat... the same door pulls that Porsche used for the 914 GT.

Todd Enlund
Today I made my first attempt at a door panel. It's not quite finished, the padding at the top needs finishing on the ends. It's hanging on the car with 3M 77 glue drying, and I'll finish the ends after it dries. The indentations are from my fingers when I hung it... they aren't visible without the flash, and I think they'll go away. The Fiat door pulls are just tacked on with tape right now for the photo. I'll have pics on how I did this after I determine if I need to redo this one, or if I just need to make the other one.

Click to view attachment
Justinp71
Looks like your making progress, make sure you have fun while doing it!!!

One comment on the heads, if you can I would probably check the valve seats. I had one drop on me and most likely thats what fell and ran into your cylinder head that is all beat up.
Gint
Big job!

I'm working on a PM for you.
jc914
keep up the good job. and keep us posted.
Todd Enlund
I dropped my crankshaft off today at Dan Hall's machine shop. It gave me a warm fuzzy when I walked in the door and before the door was closed, someone said "wow, a type IV... and it's a 2 liter!" I was quoted $130 to mag and check straightness, and grind if it checks good. That was about what I expected.
sixnotfour
and grind if it checks good.

If it checks good -polish ?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 6 2009, 06:50 PM) *

and grind if it checks good.

If it checks good -polish ?

No, it's scored... it'll need to be ground. By "checks good", I meant "is straight and not cracked".

$100 for a 78mm crank and a set of clearanced rods, and $130 for machine work... $230 for a 78mm crank is a bargain.
roadster fan
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 23 2008, 09:50 AM) *

13 July 2008

Went to the WCR 2008 in Issaquah, and had a blast. Rode around with Jim (roadster fan) for two days. Picked up some more rubber at the silent auction… a set of engine seals. I’m not saying how much I got them for biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Jim's is the beautiful silver car second from the front on the right.

av-943.gif LOL! Todd, I just went back and looked at you build thread and I think I missed this when you posted it. You said "the beautiful silver car" laugh.gif

I think heeltoe914 said it best when he saw a picture of you and I leaving the lunch spot near Mt. Ranier in my 71: "why is it the guys with the under restored cars seem to be having the most fun?"

Keep plugging away at the car hope to see it at a WCR soon.

Jim

OU8AVW
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 23 2008, 09:45 AM) *

9 June 2008

I bought some 1989 911 front suspension parts from a guy on the bird board. Spindles/rotors/hubs/struts/calipers for $350 + $50 shipping.

Edit: As of October 2008, all I have received is the rotors/hubs/calipers. The guy’s name is Mike Hogan from Bethesda, MD 301-706-2896, mhogan@umd.edu

I'm in Annapolis if you need me to go after the parts for you.
P.S. I'm 6'3" and a third degree blackbelt mad.gif
Just kidding, but if you need someone on the ground let me know.....
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jan 7 2009, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Oct 23 2008, 09:45 AM) *

9 June 2008

I'm in Annapolis if you need me to go after the parts for you.
P.S. I'm 6'3" and a third degree blackbelt mad.gif
Just kidding, but if you need someone on the ground let me know.....

This guy shouldn't be too much trouble, then... he's a skinny little punk. biggrin.gif

I just tracked him down on VW Vortex, and he's apparently moved to Boston. I think he goes back and forth between the two. He's trying to feed me a bunch of sob stories and tells me that he's shipped the struts three times, and thought that I got them because I never contacted him, but he's had loads of trouble with UPS singling him out and holding his shipments. He stopped checking the bird board, and doesn't answer e-mail. He's got 1121 posts on VW Vortex to my 1, so he's trying to discredit me. I wish I had a valid address for him.
J P Stein
I like Dan Hall's. It looks & smells like a machine shop should. The folks there have dirt under their finger nails.

Don't forget, YOU are responsible for cleaning out the oil passages in your crank after grind/polish. Clean till you're cross-eyed, then do it summore.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 7 2009, 09:09 AM) *

I like Dan Hall's. It looks & smells like a machine shop should. The folks there have dirt under their finger nails.

Don't forget, YOU are responsible for cleaning out the oil passages in your crank after grind/polish. Clean till you're cross-eyed, then do it summore.

They told me that they would clean it, but I plan on re-cleaning it when I get it, and I also plan on cleaning every single part immediately before it goes in my engine.

I'm still working on cleaning the case... it looks clean, it's nice and shiny, but it doesn't feel clean.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jan 7 2009, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 7 2009, 09:09 AM) *

They told me that they would clean it, but I plan on re-cleaning it when I get it, and I also plan on cleaning every single part immediately before it goes in my engine.

I'm still working on cleaning the case... it looks clean, it's nice and shiny, but it doesn't feel clean.

They never said anything about cleaning out any of the cranks I took there.....and they were definately not clean. I spent hours squirting clean solvent ...pipe cleaners, Q tips....whut ever... thru the suckers till they ran free of shittage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.