Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gettin real tired of crappy shifting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
first off i would like to shoot the engineer who designed the shifting system
, by firing squad...
and none of the squad would have blanks..... ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
now that i have that out of the way.....
i am having a bitch of a time getting my shifting in order.
i can not get reverse
and i can not get fourth and fifth
i have a jwest shifter
which helps a quite a bit,
but i believe the problem.. er problems to be linkage related....
i know a few of you have linkage kits of sorts...would you chime in a let me know of your trials, errors , and succeses
thanks guys
southernmost914
Tail shiht or side shifht?
Steve
SGB
I was looking at James' stuff last weekend. It is VERY close tolerance work. Did you get the two piece shift rod that has the enhanced (two bushing) locating assembly built into the rear shift console? It looked like that would be necessary. James did say some folks did not buy the jointed shift rod, though. The stock setup depends on some bushing slop at the firewall and the shift console. I'm guessing at least part of that ain't very sloppy no more.
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 25 2008, 07:25 PM) *

i can not get reverse

You need to adjust the shifter correctly. Has nothing to do with the JWest parts. The rod the goes into the bottom of the shifter needs to be adjusted right.

Don't blame the engineer, blame the operator! biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif Andy
McMark
Could also be a bent shift rod. I've seen one of those. Ask Jgara about it.
pete-stevers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 25 2008, 09:15 PM) *

i can not get reverse

You need to adjust the shifter correctly. Has nothing to do with the JWest parts. The rod the goes into the bottom of the shifter needs to be adjusted right.

beerchug.gif Andy

nope. andy the shifter is a work of art......
i am learning how to adjust by trial and error

..lets talk about shift linkage mods.....i know you did extensive work with the jwest kit, inlcluding a comprehensive thread...perhaps you could post a link
pete-stevers
and this could be a bent shift rod....because the tolerances are not really that bad at any point...so far....
Bruce Hinds
make sure you have good bushings, no slop in the rods where they meet at the firewall and then it's just a matter if a finite adjustment. Believe me, a minor adjustment makes a big difference.

If you can't get reverse and fifth, you've got some slop somewhere.

B
pete-stevers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 25 2008, 09:15 PM) *

i can not get reverse

beerchug.gif Andy

Andy could you let me know how to do basic adjustments.....
but for starters the shifter was working great and then a week ago the shifting seemed to get worse, so i doubt it is an issue with shifter...and rather somthing down the line
i am of the mindset to replace all of the bushings and linkage with something a little more "skookum" (that is a canadian way of saying "bigger and better")
SirAndy
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 25 2008, 09:39 PM) *

for starters the shifter was working great and then a week ago the shifting seemed to get worse, so i doubt it is an issue with shifter...and rather somthing down the line

That's usually the cone screw on the shifter coupler right after the firewall coming lose.
bye1.gif Andy
Dr Evil
In my tranny rebuild link you will find a list of things to check smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 26 2008, 12:16 AM) *
That's usually the cone screw on the shifter coupler right after the firewall coming lose.
bye1.gif Andy

Or the bushings in the shift coupler going south. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. You need to get under the car Steve and check every bushing. I'm quite pleased with the shifting on my car even with the stock shifter.
pete-stevers
i have half a mind to split for the j west linkage kit...
the only problem i have is the engine sits one inch lower
so i may ask them to modify a bar for me as well, as the straight bar will not quite clear....
SGB
That split rod with console locating mod looked very precise. It really does sound like a bushing is deteriorationg somewhere to me.
Tom
Pete-stevers,
Check out the thread I did on shifter bushings. May give you some help.
Tom
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72473
sean_v8_914
cone screw on the trans console
sean_v8_914
there is nothing wrong with the 914 shifter system
pete-stevers
there is actually little wrong with the sys, jsut a few loose screws and few looser bushings....and my state of mind that day,
i am going to tackle the job early thurs morning after a big cup of coffee ...
turn on some tunes, and get my forehead annoited with the drips of 50/20 on the bottom of my beloved 3.0
i need to get it sorted for a drive down to Dan Roots to to get a few flares welded on....
but i will be buying the full set up from jwest....to install at a later date....
pete-stevers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 25 2008, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Oct 25 2008, 09:39 PM) *

for starters the shifter was working great and then a week ago the shifting seemed to get worse, so i doubt it is an issue with shifter...and rather somthing down the line

bye1.gif Andy

yup you where dead on Andy! thanks
now i can wait until the canuck buck corrects a bit before shelling out for the kit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.