Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Hell of a Turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Words can't describe how awesome this motor is going to be. Estimated to put between 700-800hp on the ground. It is hanging out the back of a custom tube frame 996 carbon fiber body. This guy knows is stuff and I will be posting pictures of my engine as it gets closer.

IPB Image

IPB Image
ChrisReale
burnout.gif how much output are you looking at getting?
TimT
Schwinggg!!!

awesome, the cold side of that turbo is hugantic!!

driving.gif
iamchappy
I wish you didnt post that, as I am currently turboing my 914 3.0 and mine will never look that good, droooool ohmy.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
How is engine cooling accomplished? Or is this a 1/4-miler only?
drew365
Cripes, why don't you just strap a jato rocket to the top and be done with it. Just how much power do you require and where are you going to use it? Beautiful work though.
Rgreen914
drew

Jet
Assisted
Take
Off
Britain Smith
That is for a 1/4 mile drag car...no cooling needed I guess.

My goal is 400hp on race gas, 300 on pump gas.

-Britain
Rouser
He got it right ... JATO/RATO Rocket Motors:
IPB Image
drew365
He got it right ...

The admins wouldn't have made edit buttons if they didn't want us to use them. wink.gif
steve@ottosvenice.com
The life span of that motor is measured in minutes. Steve
Katmanken
Gawd,

How nice to meet people that know the difference between a jet and a rocket!

This has been a pet peeve of mine. Everybody calls RATOS JATOS- especially in that darwin award story about the dude with a JATO bottle in his trunk..

When I was young enough to suck my thumb, I used to watch B-47s take off. Them suckers were so slow they needed them!

Am I dating myself? blink.gif

Ken
Brad Roberts
Actually the life span of that engine is a full season of racing the west coast NHRA division. They dont spin the engines to 8KRPM like we do for road racing. The top points guy for our region (Turbo Bug) has two full seasons on his engine and will only tear it down to "freshen" it. They know what they are doing and have been doing this for 20+ years.

B
redshift
QUOTE(kwales @ Feb 9 2004, 10:37 PM)
Am I dating myself? blink.gif

Ken

Get your hands out of your pants.

M
Brett W
Where did the pics go?
Jake Raby
Turbo TI engines are insane... I have built quite a few and now I'm working on a complete EFI Turbo libne up for the TI engine..

As soon as my new TIV heads are done the same holds true for the TIV- till then its almost useless. the TIV has a huge problem with getting the exhaust out of the port and keeping the stock heads sealed off while doing so.
fiid
I am suprised that the small exhaust side of that turbo has the torque to spin up the compressor side and get much boost. Is it designed to develop boost at fairly low turbo rpms? Could someone more knowledgeable than myself talk about the turbo design?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.