Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Synchro Slider help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jax914
OK...

working on my trans. Dissassembled and think I've found the problem, the small shift arm that actuates the internal shift rods controlling the brass sliders - but I digress....that'll be another thread.

Trans has been apart before - synchro rings are hardly worn at all and are in very good shape. Wear shown below looks worse that it is...

What I'm looking for is wear limits on the synchro sliders. Any maybe someone that might have a decent one laying around.

It seems that the pointed teeth on the sliders are worn on one side more than the other. I measured using a depth micro, and searched for the highest tooth on both sides of the slider.

One side has a clearance of .019" and the other averages around .023". Is this normal? When new, are the sliders reversable or do they do in one specific way?
Also, what is the normal depth between the edge and the point of the tooth.

Here are two shots showing my question.

One side:
IPB Image

Other side:
IPB Image

So if anyone has a new one (Dr. Evil - can you help?) would you mind measuring?

Then if anyone has a usable slider - let me know what you want for it.

Thanks in advance.

LvSteveH
QUOTE(Jax914 @ Oct 28 2008, 04:39 PM) *

It seems that the pointed teeth on the sliders are worn on one side more than the other. I measured using a depth micro, and searched for the highest tooth on both sides of the slider.

One side has a clearance of .019" and the other averages around .023". Is this normal? When new, are the sliders reversable or do they do in one specific way?
Also, what is the normal depth between the edge and the point of the tooth.

That's an unserviceable slider if ever there was one. While you only measured .004 difference in reality it's quite a bit more than that. Those blunted/flat points won't allow reliable engagement. Some guys will clean up slightly dull teeth and get a little more life out of them, but once they are flat like that all bets are off and it's not worth messing with.

I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a used slider, but there should be a few new ones still around too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.