Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine revving issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
When i start my car and let it idle and lightly press the gas pedal, the engine does exactly what it should, rev up really smoothly. However, my issue is when you step on the gas pedal quickly the engine almost dies. If you leave your foot on the pedal it will pull its way through this dying/stale thing it does. What would cause this stale/almost dying issue when you try to quickly accelerate, but doesn't happen when you lightly press down the pedal?

This is kind of hard to explain, but i hope i explained it well enough for someone to help me out. The problem is annoying while driving and trying to accelerate across an intersection and the car almost dying. I want to acclerate and have the car do what its supposed to do!!

Thanks everybody!!!
KaptKaos
Fuel injected or carbs?
turnaround89
Its a 1.8L single carbed engine, sorry completely forgot to add that info!
Cap'n Krusty
Single carb engines, for a number of reasons, are prone to behave that way. Look at the accelerator pump in the carb. If that's OK, you may have to learn to live with it. The Cap'n
turnaround89
Would a dual carb setup correct this problem? I want to go with dual carbs sooner or later, and if this fixes the problem i kind of kill two birds with one stone, my wanting for dual carbs and the revving issue. Thanks
Borderline
Properly adjusted dual carbs should fix the problem. My 1911 runs great on dual weber 40's. My understanding that with the single carb the manifold runners are too long to operate properly. The fuel condenses on the walls before it gets to the cylinder...or something like that. I've never heard much good said about a single carb setup. good luck
turnaround89
If i were to upgrade to a dual carb setup what carbs should i buy? Not sure what i have now, but it is a single weber carb. I see all the different kinds like 40idf, 44idf, 34ict, not sure what all the numbers or letters mean. The engine is a 1.8L and i want it to run as best it can, it runs great now except when you try to quickly accelerate. What carbs should i buy for my engine?
sgetsiv
I just converted from a single Weber to dual Empi 44mm from Jake Raby. The 44mm are big, but I am planning some further upgrades of the engine so they should work even better down the road. The duals are a massive improvement over the single carb.

Installing an mechanical advance only Mallory Unilite also made a huge improvement - I did this a week before I switched from the single to dual carb set up.

Steve
Borderline
The smaller 40mm carbs would be a good choice for a 1.8L. Or, if your planning on going to a larger engine in the future, you could go with the 44's and use a smaller venturi on the 1.8. Weber carbs are very "tunable". Like I said before my 1911 runs great with the weber 40's.
turnaround89
I don't plan on going any bigger with the engine, the 1.8L is great. Don't plan to race the car, so i don't need some high hp numbers, just a nice cruising car for the summer. I will look for a set of 40idf's, thanks everybody!!!!
Spoke
I went from single carb to dual Weber IDF40's on my 1.7L. It was like night and day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.