Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 Turbo is back home where she belongs!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
After about 4-5 years, I finally found the person that adopted my 914 Turbo, and I bought her back!! dancinnanner.gif

The wife and I made a marathon trip out to Arizona with our Passat TDI to pick her up (4 days total from Tennessee to Arizona and back to Tennessee) ....the 914 is still a beauty! After a 3 hour detour off of I-40 in Arizona due to an accident, and a couple of skunk hits...we made it home. A little stinky, but we made it safe and sound.

We want to thank Bill (azbill) and his friend Ron for all their assistance in making this happen. smilie_pokal.gif

Rob driving.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
number6
QUOTE(914rrr @ Oct 30 2008, 05:31 PM) *

After about 4 years, I finally found the person that adopted my 914 Turbo, and I bought her back!! dancinnanner.gif

The wife and I made a marathon trip out to Arizona with our Passat TDI to pick her up (4 days total from Tennessee to Arizona and back to Tennessee) ....she is still a beauty! After a 3 hour detour off of I-40 in Arizona due to an accident, and a couple of skunk hits...we made it home. A little stinky, but we made it safe and sound.

We want to thank Bill (azbill) and his friend Ron for all their assistance in making this happen. smilie_pokal.gif

Rob driving.gif

That's so awesome, Rob. Congrats!

I've admired your car ever since I saw it on eBay a few years back. Had the then-owner answered my questions satisfactorily, I would've bought the car. A couple months ago, I stumbled upon an ad for a car just like this (it must've been this car - I mean, how many blue 2.0 turbos are out there, right?) but couldn't get a hold of the seller. Just wasn't meant to be. She must've been waiting for you! smile.gif

I'm really interested in the build details, boost level, hp, torque, etc. If you ever dyno her, please share your findings!

-duc
rjames
Great looking car! smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
Congrats Rob & Nel on getting the Turbo back.

T.C.
tronporsche
I don't know why you got rid of it, but that has to be like a nightmare that finally ended, and came to reality and was o.k. !!! Congrats.
Al Meredith
Rob and Nel, I am assembling a 1974 in "Olympic Blue" that just got back from the paint shop. I'm painting like an LE with "gulf orange" I tied to get it ready for the Rocket City Ramble but didn't have enough time. I'll post pics in about three weeks when it is together and running. AL
championgt1
Your car is stunning. I am biased however, my car is also Olympic blue.
Very nice. smilie_pokal.gif

MineClick to view attachment
Root_Werks
Cool story! Nice to have your car back I bet. smile.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 30 2008, 07:57 PM) *

Congrats Rob & Nel on getting the Turbo back.

T.C.

agree.gif -- Rob
SGB
Engine pic time, Rob?

or under? I see the avatar...
Grelber
Was this car sold in Dallas 2 to 3 years ago? There was one that was for sale by a local dealership that was Olympic Blue and turbo'd.
azbill
Rob I was glad to help and enjoyed meeting you and Nel. Your car is VERY nice and unique. Hope you enjoy driving it.

Bill Shaffer
shadygrady
Way to go. Blue is way better than "xxxx" brown. poke.gif av-943.gif
914rrr
[/quote]

That's so awesome, Rob. Congrats!

I've admired your car ever since I saw it on eBay a few years back. Had the then-owner answered my questions satisfactorily, I would've bought the car. A couple months ago, I stumbled upon an ad for a car just like this (it must've been this car - I mean, how many blue 2.0 turbos are out there, right?) but couldn't get a hold of the seller. Just wasn't meant to be. She must've been waiting for you! smile.gif

I'm really interested in the build details, boost level, hp, torque, etc. If you ever dyno her, please share your findings!

-duc
[/quote]

Thanks for all the replies!

Build details from Ed Atkinson's notes (original owner/ builder), talking to Peter Dawe (friend of Ed's) and SWAG's on my part:

Crown turbo kit installed in '74 features a Rayjay/ Crown turbo and Crown RRFPR.
Kit was later modified by PO to include custom fabbed headers and exhaust using Corvair Turbo 2.5" pipes and muffler, eliminated Crown IMPCO valve and replaced with an Ak Miller Wastegate w/ cockpit adjustable boost and custom intercooler

Slightly modified D-Jet Injection w/ Corvair Turbo air filter housing

GC block, 75-76 2.0 heads, Arias pistons and custom cam

J & S Electronics Trac II Boost Retard Module, allows cockpit control of static and boost timing

Permatune Ignition Module

Water/Alky injection ('Old School' style windshield washer pump and nozzle. I removed it since it was hopelessly clogged and inop)

VDO Oil Temp & Vacuum /Boost Gauges

Westach EGT (inop), found tucked behind console

Auxiliary Oil Cooler (70's era) via filter sandwich plate

Koni Shocks & Struts

Front & Rear Sway Bars with Custom Rear Sway Bar Couplings

Short Shift Kit

Scheel seats, pair ($500 each back in the 70's!)

5 Fuchs with dry 195/50/15 P7's

Full in/out repaint with all new seals

NOS and/or mint parts almost everywhere you look

Documentation includes original owners manual with emission booklet, D-Jet trubleshooting guide and jacket, Crown turbo kit installation instructions, J&S instructions, and pages of hand written/sketched notes by Ed.

Seems like Ed was into Corvair Turbos back in the day, so installing a Crown turbo kit on a (new) 914 wasn't too big a stretch. Peter Dawe told me that he rode in and drove the car. "When it was dialed in it was a blast to drive". Peter thinks that Ed was running aroung 10-15 psi boost with race gas and water/alky injection.

I'm planning on removing the engine to get some things in order (stripped spark plug on #3, couple of oil leaks) and the generally check things over.

Engine shots to follow:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.