Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 heat exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
old9one4
I have recently purchased a set of 2.0 heat exchangers but I am not sure they are correct. Can anyone tell me how to determine if they are correct for a 2.0 motor. Thanx, Nelson
r_towle
All HE's fit all motors.
The 2.0 liter old (up to 75) HE's have a straight profile at the end, they do not turn up like the 1.7/1.8 exhangers.

the later 2.0 liter HE's terminate into a single outlet, the older ones terminate in dual outlets.

there are basically three types and all must have a specific muffler and muffler bracket that goes with each.

All HE's do bolt on and fit all motors...

Rich
dflesburg
there is a thread either here or on Pelican that defines and describes all types.

jimkelly
pic
old9one4
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 2 2008, 06:32 PM) *

pic

Thank you for the reply. The photo really helped clear up the problem. Nelson
warrenoliver
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 2 2008, 09:32 PM) *

pic

Slight Hijack:

Thanks for the pics Jim. I have a question about the 2.0 heat exchangers/exhaust. I recently changed my exhaust gaskets due to backfire on deceleration caused by a leaking gasket. When I dropped my exhaust/heat exchangers, I noticed that the heat exchangers have an extra bracket welded to the exhaust near the bend of the pipe just below the engine. This bracket is a steel strap about 12" long and 1" wide with two bolts that allow the exhaust to be bolted directly to the bottom of the engine case. WTF.gif When I took off the exhaust nuts, I couldn't drop the exhaust until I detached the bracket. I have already reinstalled everything and I did not take a pic of the bracket. chair.gif

My car is a 73, 2.0, FI, that I thought was fairly original. When the Cap'n did a PPI and worked on the car prior to shipping out to me, he never commented on the bracket for the heat exchangers. What the heck is this? It's hard to believe that a PO decided to modify the exhaust like this and then drilled and tapped the bottom of the engine case.

Warrenoliver
Bleyseng
sounds like a PO mod to me. Post a pic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.