Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is Your Battery ? Poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jsayre914
Since My tray fell off now is a good time to consider relocating the battery. Where did you put it and do you like it there. Would you move it to another location?? My car is not a conocours. Its a daily driver. Any feedback beerchug.gif
Rick_Eberle
I think the stock location in the engine bay is the most practical place for it for a daily driver. You would lose way too much space if it's in the boot/trunk.
VaccaRabite
I'd move it to the rear trunk for a quick fix just so you can get in a little more driving time. Then I'd weld in a new battery tray and go back to the stock location.

Zach
AvalonFal
Mine is in the upper right corner of rear trunk. Keeps the weight nearly in the stock location. Fits without interfering with the top storage and gives much needed room to work in the engine bay.

Paul
iamchappy
In the trunk with other essentials...
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 6 2008, 09:33 AM) *

Where is Your Battery Pole?

On my optima, they're both on top. One has a - next to it, the other one has a + next to it ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: On a more serious note, now is a good time to clean up that mess in your hell hole! Then, if reusable, tack the tray back into the stock location or get yourself a new tray.
IMHO, for a daily driver, the stock location is the way to go ...
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Nov 6 2008, 12:11 PM) *

Mine is in the upper right corner of rear trunk. Keeps the weight nearly in the stock location. Fits without interfering with the top storage and gives much needed room to work in the engine bay.

Paul

agree.gif

I also have spare, jack, jack stands and two tool/parts bags in my rear trunk and can still carry top. A PO had the ECU in there to but I recently moved to cabin firewall. At same time made new hole for battery wiring w/ grommet soe's to not have wires running thru targa top hole(another PO upgrade). Also added battery tray soe's I could get rid of those nasty bungy cords..... av-943.gif

Had thought about moving battery back in engine bay but really like the extra work room.

jkp beer.gif
McMark
Stock location. Why would anyone move it? (serious racers are excused from the question)
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2008, 01:46 PM) *

Stock location. Why would anyone move it? (serious racers are excused from the question)

Maybe...running without rain tray battery stays dry therefore eliminating one of the main causes of death for our vehicles??

jkp
Krieger
When TRG corner balanced my car they commented on how close my car was than other 914s that had the battery moved. They only needed to raise my RF up a few turns.
jsayre914
Where does the battery go in the cabin?? Just curious dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 6 2008, 01:08 PM) *

Where does the battery go in the cabin?? Just curious dry.gif

Passanger Footwell ...
driving.gif Andy
jwang
Wrong login smile.gif
PanelBilly
I used to keep mine on some scrap wood on the floor of the garage. That was before I split with the wife. Now I don't know where she keeps it, but I can think of some places where she can put it....
1970 Neun vierzehn
Where the engineers decided it would provide the best location to offset the drivers' weight, keeping it close to the center of the car to keep the moment of polar inertia low (as opposed to in front of the wheels, i.e early 911), and where it could do the most structural damage should it bleed battery acid (though that problem was probably not forseen).

Paul
LarryR
mine is in my shed smile.gif
IronHillRestorations
Stock. Why loose any luggage space? Unless it's a racer, then put it where you want.
MikeSpraggi
The 914/6 is in the stock location. The track car is in the rear trunk.
TC 914-8
Mines up front next to the radiator Next to the fuel pump. I didn't move it, it came that way from the PO. he used welding cable thru the tunnel and back to a buss bar at the stock location. plenty of grounding straps at the Batt. , Trans, and Engine. I never have any Starting issues what so ever.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
DBCooper
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 6 2008, 04:50 PM) *

Where the engineers decided it .... could do the most structural damage should it bleed battery acid (though that problem was probably not forseen).

Wait a minute, "not forseen? These are GERMAN engineers, yes?
morgan_harwell
Engine Bay in a new location

Since this is my Daily Driver, I wanted to keep all engine related stuff in the engine bay: batteries, oil tanks, ignition modules, oil coolers, etc.. Trunks are really handy for things like: bookbags, gym bags, car cover, groceries, MotoCross helmets ...

The oil tank is in the stock battery location. So I put the battery on the other side of engine bay. I took the old rusty battery stand out, flattened it, then used it as a template for a new battery stand, which I formed into a mirror image of a stock battery stand. I then welded it in place on the left side of the engine bay before repainting the engine bay. I then put a new stock battery tray on it. Yep, I had to perform Hell Hole surgery, too.

This is an old picture, there is an Optima Red Top in there now. My last 3 Die Hards were Die Easys sad.gif
Click to view attachment
McMark
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Nov 6 2008, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2008, 01:46 PM) *

Maybe...running without rain tray battery stays dry therefore eliminating one of the main causes of death for our vehicles??

jkp

Um, Gel Cell batteries? Much easier to replace a battery than run cables all over the car, fabricate clamps, etc.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 7 2008, 04:21 AM) *

Where the engineers decided it .... could do the most structural damage should it bleed battery acid (though that problem was probably not forseen).

I'd surmise that the engineers who designed the 914, those who were involved with the tooling, fabrication and construction of these cars, and the designers who wrote the specifications for the various sub-assemblies and outside contractor sourced parts (Bosch,Mahle,ATE,Thiessen Steel,etc.) did not foresee these cars lasting this far out from their build date.

Paul
jsayre914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 7 2008, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 7 2008, 04:21 AM) *

I'd surmise that the engineers who designed the 914, those who were involved with the tooling, fabrication and construction of these cars, and the designers who wrote the specifications for the various sub-assemblies and outside contractor sourced parts (Bosch,Mahle,ATE,Thiessen Steel,etc.) did not foresee these cars lasting this far out from their build date.

Paul

av-943.gif I still cant believe mine starts up every time I turn the key.
effutuo101
Trunk location with the other gear. And the top still fits without issue
zymurgist
I don't actually own a 914, but the one I maintain has the battery in the rear trunk. I can't say that I recommend the location, but you do what you have to do to keep the car on the road.
jsayre914
The battery tray seems perfect, now that im looking at it. It was never welded at all blink.gif three rivets at the top lip into the fender, and three rivets at the bottom lip right on the shoulder. I guess it was a quick fix, and over time vibration took its toll. I am down a little between the hood rust and the battery falling off, The car will go on stands tonight. popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Stock location on both of mine. I prefer it there as opposed to relocating it. If you need the space for something else I guess I can understand moving it confused24.gif
wbergtho
My V-8 car has the battery in the front trunk and my stock 76 has the battery in the stock location.
Todd Enlund
I don't even have a battery.
SLKWrx
These things need batteries?! Ugh.. no wonder it won't start!
BIGKAT_83
Stock location works for me........

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 9 2008, 12:24 PM) *

The battery tray seems perfect, now that im looking at it. It was never welded at all blink.gif three rivets at the top lip into the fender, and three rivets at the bottom lip right on the shoulder. I guess it was a quick fix, and over time vibration took its toll. I am down a little between the hood rust and the battery falling off, The car will go on stands tonight. popcorn[1].gif

Between this and your front trunk "fix" I think we need to assume that your PO was actually a DAPO. When you put the car to bed for the winter, start inspecting the car with a critical eye. God only knows what else your DAPO may have "fixed."

Zach
racunniff
I had to null-vote to get in because there was no "all of the above" option:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

beer.gif

http://volt914.blogspot.com
OU8AVW
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 11 2008, 02:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

WTF?
Wow......
Justinp71
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Nov 12 2008, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 11 2008, 02:50 PM) *

WTF?
Wow......

No Sh!t... That is cool, what trans is that hooked to?Stock axles?
tommy914
Where is my Battery?...... What?... You know something I don't?
You talking to me? I'll show you where my battery is!
zymurgist
IPB Image

Knock it off. I dare you.
EdwardBlume
I've kept it stock on my "stock" car, but moved it to the rear trunk on my last AX car. It really doesn't make a difference if you maintain your car and rust issues.
naro914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 6 2008, 01:13 PM) *

In the trunk with other essentials...

where did you get that battery bracket/stand/whatever you call it that's holding your battery in place? I could really use one like that!
EdwardBlume
where did you get that battery bracket/stand/whatever you call it that's holding your battery in place? I could really use one like that!

With an Optima battery, I had a flat piece with 2 teeth in the grooves at the base of the battery on both sides. The pieces bolt to the trunk floor. To close the trunk with a top in the back, you can make it if you don't go too high.
J P Stein
In the rear trunk.....but it could go bout anywhere.
okieflyr

Click to view attachment
My gel cell is mounted on the the engine crossbar down loooow!
jt914-6
Front trunk..........had the room and to put a little weight up front.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentrear trunk biggrin.gif
Marty
PThompson509
QUOTE(racunniff @ Nov 11 2008, 09:57 PM) *

I had to null-vote to get in because there was no "all of the above" option:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

beer.gif

http://volt914.blogspot.com

agree.gif That's what I'm doing too! piratenanner.gif
benalishhero
Original position in my '74 2.0
GreatPumpkin
here is mine
ghuff
I have to do something about the battery situation in my 914 this weekend. I think I may run a deka battery where the yellow car has it's located.

Still use the targa, and since it is a sealed battery, stuff can be put in back.

I had to cut my tray out and refuse to install a new one.

That tray collects dust/dirt/debris that soaks moisture and will just rot out again from the back like mine was starting to, and you can not get under it to clean :|
derepaskos
Rear Trunk
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.