Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing taco plate temp sender.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have a combo gauge that I plan to install in place of das blinkin licht. It's a stock gauge with gas level on the bottom and the temp on the top. I have found (I believe) the wire under the battery tray that runs up and through the center console. I will test to make sure.

I am planning an oil change with this process.

Anyway, I have a few questions before I do this.

1) Are there any tips or tricks to installing the sender and cover?
2) What are the torque settings for those 2 bolts. I know it's a sensitive area.
3) What gauge wire should I run from the sender to the harness in the engine bay?
4) What gauge wire from the harness between the seats to the gauge/dashboard.
5) Any other tips or tricks for those that have done this?

Please let me know.

TIA
Cevan
The wire should be green/black. It will probably have a plastic connecter housing on the end of it. Once you have the guage mounted and wire, test the sender before installing in the engine. Ground the outside of the sender and dunk it in hot water.

Use the proper crush washers on the two bolts and the sender itself. I used a little oil on the o-ring. The sender should point to the rear of the car. The wire I used from the sender to the wire in the engine bay was pretty small gauge, maybe 22 guage. It doesn't need to be any larger than the green/black wire.

Here is a link to my installation.

jim_hoyland
I found that when I used a new crush washer under the sender I stopped my main oil leak. Those washers are readily available
type47
only tricks i know are:

1. use the correct giant (maybe red in color) o-ring, i put a light coat of syl-glyde (?) a silicone "grease" on the oring
2. there is a thin gasket between the plate that holds the sensor and the cover plate
3. use new crush washers under the two bolts that hold the assembly to the block
4. observe correct torque of those bolts
jsayre914
blink.gif Mine is facing the front of the car, is this a big problem??

the guage is sparatic anyway, I never trust it.
KaptKaos
Anyone know the size of the two crush washers that hold the plate?
jc914
huh.gif
jc914
I just finished reconnecting the wire from the sensor to the cable in the engine bay. So I started my engine and the gauge does not move up. I checked my connections they are all ok. The only movement i get from the Gauge is when i start the car (ignition) the needle moves. anyone have any idea whats going on. Do these sensor brake???????

I just ordered the the dip stick oil with thermometer. it canot hurt to have one.

http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/1dipstick3.html
Cevan
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Nov 6 2008, 06:48 PM) *

Anyone know the size of the two crush washers that hold the plate?

Part# N 013 803 2. 6x10 I got mine from my local Porsche dealership.
McMark
The only movement i get from the Gauge is when i start the car (ignition) the needle moves. anyone have any idea whats going on. Do these sensor brake???????

It takes awhile with the motor running for the oil to warm up. Generally, if the needle wiggles when the key goes on, it's working. Just drive/wait.
jc914
Thanks McMarck I will run the car for a while once i get it off the stands. Monday.
vesnyder
I replaced the gauge with teh one from the 911 that has oil temp and pressure. Sure beats the idiot light. I then moved the gas gauge to the console.
jc914
Ran my car today and the temp gauge worked smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.