Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I fought the arms and the arms won
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
I was trying to get the trailing arms off today in order to do my 5 lug / brake upgrade. I figured I would use the arms off of the 'outside car' since I already had the rear shocks /springs off of it. So I procrastinated until about 1 thinking it would only be about a 1 hour job HA!! All of the bolts holding the arms on were no big deal. However, the axle nut was a B(&^%$#.

I tried everything. Impact gun for about 15 minutes, then ratchet, then cheater bar on ratchet, then brake handle on ratchet and snap I broke my craftsman 1/2 drive. (yes I know I should have started with a breaker bar just to lazy to walk bak in the garage and get it). All the while spraying it with liquid wrench between attempts.

So I go dig out the breaker bar and another 10 minutes of grunting with 5' of leverage and the little bastard finally let go and of course I smash my thumb when it does.

I have never seen an axle nut on so freakin tight. Since I know it will be dark in another 1/2 hour the other arm will have to wait till next weekend(now I know to start early). At least I can get started on 1 of them this week. Now its beer3.gif time
Gint
Sorry about the thumb.

The torque spec is over 200 lb/ft.

I finally bought a 600+ lb/ft impact gun. Now I can get them off with the control arm off of the car.
VaccaRabite
Gint's right. You need an impact gun with some balls to get them off.

I also bought a 600 lb/ft gun, and it spun them off in just a few seconds.

Zach
Eric_Shea
I've seen a bunch that were basically "bonded" on. I've had to use acetolyne on some... even with the bad-@ss wrench.
ConeDodger
Torque spec is actually something like 280 - 300 so they are on there... My impact wrench zipped them right off... Now getting them reinstalled well... I wish I had a torque wrench with that kind of value but the only one I have ever seen (not that they are not common) was in the tool kit for a Ferrari Enzo... It was about 4 feet long!
Phoenix-MN
To re-tourque them you need one of these:

http://www.vannattabros.com/saw48.html

Big $$$ for them sad.gif

Paul
Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 9 2008, 06:21 PM) *
I've seen a bunch that were basically "bonded" on. I've had to use acetolyne on some... even with the bad-@ss wrench.

The last one I took off even with the BAMF gun it took ten minutes of penetrant and swearing to get it off. wink.gif
LarryR
I actually have the bad a$$ Ingersol Rand 600 ft lb impact gun. To date this is the only bolt that it could not break loose. That sucker was mega crusted on... I have seen this gun break bolts when they wont come free... but not this one
LarryR
I was still able to make some progress on the 911 ebrake on the one that I removed from the car:

Click to view attachment
LarryR
and now the ebrake fits nicely to the arm:

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I think you'll be filling that grinder case up with hot water for a foot soak after tonight! biggrin.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 9 2008, 07:25 PM) *

I think you'll be filling that grinder case up with hot water for a foot soak after tonight! biggrin.gif

Hey Eric,

I guess you can see from the progress its going to be another week before I sent it all off to you. I forgot to ask on the A Arms do you want me to cut the old sway bar mount off?

Larry
Eric_Shea
They are SC arms?

Sure... if you're comfortable with it. If not, I can do it.

E.
gopack
When I tried to get mine off, it was basically a tub on jack stands. I got the drivers side off using lotss of leverage, but when I went to get the passenge side, the torque was going the opposite way and when the tub popped a "wheelie" on the rear jack stands! I almost shat my self! I don't know how but I finally managed to get them both loose!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.